Jump to content

320Touring's 1993 SEAT Toledo- SUPER INTERNET CELEBRITY!!!1! 20/03/2021


Recommended Posts

Eliminate the distributor and plug leads by getting new ones and slamming the on - this was the cause of my B3 Passat's problems because the insulation had broken down just enough to interfere with the speed signal to tge ecu.

"But it's overfueling!" I hear you cry - indeed, with a red label ecu it wouldn't run at all, with a green label ecu (which I suspect this has) it's got better 'in-fill' characteristics and will run but like a bag of shite.

Have you checked for any fault codes? It's the old method of earthing a wire on these ones, and counting the flashes from the engine check light.  Googly is your friend to tell you how to do it, and videoing it allows you to view it again and again whilst checking what the flashes mean.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, M'coli said:

Eliminate the distributor and plug leads by getting new ones and slamming the on - this was the cause of my B3 Passat's problems because the insulation had broken down just enough to interfere with the speed signal to tge ecu.

"But it's overfueling!" I hear you cry - indeed, with a red label ecu it wouldn't run at all, with a green label ecu (which I suspect this has) it's got better 'in-fill' characteristics and will run but like a bag of shite.

Have you checked for any fault codes? It's the old method of earthing a wire on these ones, and counting the flashes from the engine check light.  Googly is your friend to tell you how to do it, and videoing it allows you to view it again and again whilst checking what the flashes mean.

The plug wires are new (like less than 2 years old - I bought them after we got the golf)

Engine check light? It doesn't have one I know of.

 

Also the ECU has a red label ( picture one page back)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it doesn't appear to have an engine check light, it's either because it doesn't have one or because it's gubbed! I'd say it's the latter - look online for user manuals.

It looks like it's the same set-up (including the red ecu) as my old B3 Passat, except it's 1595cc as opposed to 1781cc. I might have to disturb some - ok, a metric fucking shit-tonne - of spiders and try to locate my Haynes manual on pre-OBD2 engine management systems...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a relay on these old single point injection VW’s that will leave it running like a bag of spanners / refusing to run at all when it throws its hand in.

It was a common issue back in the day on the Mk3 / Mk4 Golf convertible which had this motor too.

A friend who has worked on a VW parts desk since the mid 90’s says they used to sell loads of them back in the day.

Do you want me to make enquiries?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MJK 24 said:

There’s a relay on these old single point injection VW’s that will leave it running like a bag of spanners / refusing to run at all when it throws its hand in.

It was a common issue back in the day on the Mk3 / Mk4 Golf convertible which had this motor too.

A friend who has worked on a VW parts desk since the mid 90’s says they used to sell loads of them back in the day.

Do you want me to make enquiries?

Yes please, no harm in finding out, cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 320touring changed the title to 320Touring's 1993 SEAT Toledo- NEW PANTS (and timing belt) PLEASE 27/02/2021
54 minutes ago, 320touring said:

New belt time. I think there is a spare one in the Golf that @Skizzer gave me.

If so, will try to get it repaired asap

Fairly sure you’re right about there being at least one spare belt.  I bought two, mistaking the purchasing of parts/tools for actually fixing cars, as is my wont. I believe Alex Lewis in Llandewi fitted one to the Golf so there must be a spare.

Nearly there chief.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the plus side, the injector was in full view and looks to be doing its job. I was fearing it would be shooting out big droplets instead of finely misting. Fortunately it seems the latter is happening and saves a bunch of cleaning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 320touring changed the title to 320Touring's 1993 SEAT Toledo- Having the time(ingbelt) of our lives 01/03/2021

Having discovered that the timing belt on the Toledo was thinner than Coldplay's writing talent, I undertook to resolve the issue.

In the back of my mind, I had seen a timing belt kit somewhere.. but where?

IMG_20210228_121848679.thumb.jpg.169813cdcaa618cefbd20c757f40312e.jpg

Ah yes, in the back of the Golf. Many thanks @Skizzer!

 

Back at base, it was time to tear into the job.

First things first, get the water pump and PS belt off. No issues once I sussed out the tensioner.

the alternator belt came off ok too - although it didn't look the healthiest..

IMG_20210228_133524304.thumb.jpg.7d0e42002c70084397833ef9519e8727.jpgIMG_20210228_133537465.thumb.jpg.8ecc3e8a311e1d917d4b5ee1c47bd2a5.jpg

 

Next up, rocker cover and top belt cover off, plus spark plugs out for ease of turning.

IMG_20210228_134128194.thumb.jpg.d858baca7d997475b224ec58b5094fdf.jpg

 

There is a dot on the back of the cam pulley, which should be level with the top of the cyl head when at TDC on#1.

This corresponds with the O_T mark on the other face of the pulley. 

With the crank at its mark - located via a mark on the flywheel, I took a looks at the cam..

IMG-20210228-WA0016.thumb.jpeg.b224ed166c88c000a2291212b8d5b7a7.jpeg

A whole tooth out!

 

Right, let's get on with it..

Old tensioner off, and new one ready to go on.

IMG_20210228_144944630.thumb.jpg.b9467d2081a50812b50c9dab50925b37.jpg

 

To time the engine up, the cam goes to the O_T mark, the cam to it's mark, and the dizzy shaft pulley should be lined up with a notch In the bottom pulley.

That meant fitting it back on here. Easy enough to do with 2 bots just to hold it.

IMG_20210228_140123555.thumb.jpg.2bc3e52de29d7dd83839f81732cdc592.jpg

The cam pulley was moved forward a tooth and the belt and tensioner applied.

 

It's at this point I learned 2 lessons:

1. If you take reference pictures - USE THEM

2. The Dizzy pulley is a nightmare to keep lined up when fitting the belt.

When I fitted the tensioner, I put it the wrong way, so the lower belt cover wouldn't fit.

We got that sorted after looking at the reference picture.

 

Unbeknownst to us, the Dizzy pulley moved slightly, knocking the ignition timing out, so when we fired it up, it was a bit grumpy.

 

At this point, tiredness and failing light called a halt to proceedings.

 

Back up the next day, and I reset all the timing (as far as possible as my strobe light is nowhere to be found).

 

The result?

IMG_20210301_140155362.thumb.jpg.a08d67a99caa78bfcb100ebacbab7a85.jpg

 

It lives!

Have had it out for a couple of runs - it drives better than it ever has in my ownership - revs cleanly throughout the range and pulls well.

 

However, 

 

The bogging still persists at idle and full throttle 😤

I am now thinking ignition system ? 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 9:09 PM, 320touring said:

The plug wires are new (like less than 2 years old - I bought them after we got the golf)

Engine check light? It doesn't have one I know of.

 

Also the ECU has a red label ( picture one page back)

 

Ok, it looks like you were right!  I'd expect it to be between the battery light and the fuel light (that's where the glow plug light goes on diesels).

20160824_204047.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, there has to be another way of reading the fault codes: this isn't an advanced system, thus it has to be relatively simple, but Seat technicians had to find a way, under warranty, of finding out what had fucked up that didn't require replacement/substitution of every sensor just to find the one in question... 

 

Fluffiness at idle and WOT? Have you checked what values/voltages the TPS is saying at these positions?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 320touring changed the title to 320Touring's 1993 SEAT Toledo- SUPER INTERNET CELEBRITY!!!1! 20/03/2021

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...