320Touring's Toledo FIN

320touring

I remember a mate of mine buying one of these years ago.

Story goes he walked into Kinross auctions and saw a nice looking black one about to be sold at that very moment for 400 quid. His eyes clapped on the L registration and he filled his pants with excitement.

An L Reg anything at that point was still well over a grand. He threw his hand up and bid.

He won at about £600. His brief delight turned to dismay when on closer inspection it was an ex taxi with 340k on the clock a knackered gearbox, and no MOT 😂

No. That story has obviously been mistold a few times over the years and the correct details have been lost in history. There are a few deviations from the correct version.

It was 1996, maybe '97. It was Shotts, not Kinross. It was a K reg, not an L. It was a doom blue, not black - though it was a very dark blue - Rover 825 Diesel. It was £550 when a decent petrol one was well over £1000 even at auction and it had nine moons of MoT and thirty seconds - almost literally - of tax. But, it WAS an ex taxi with over 300000 on the clock and a knackered gearbox.

I your mate arrived, walked in, couldn't believe that a K reg 825D was not getting a bid at £550 and stuck his paw in the air. Within a quarter of a second the gavel, was whacked noisily and triumphantly on the block and I your mate owned it, no doubt much to the amusement of the seller and all present.

It had been round the block twice before while the assembled company did statue impressions and carefully avoided the auctioneer's eye.

The knackered gearbox turned out to be diff bearings and once fixed and fitted with a scrapyard blue Sterling interior in place of the 350000 mile taxi one, it provided Sterling service (See what I your mate did there?) for a couple of years or so until the diff bearings started to get noisy again and it was flung through the old Burnfield Rd., Giffnock auction on a "mileage not warranted" basis and returned £425, if I your mate remembers correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

In what I hope is a foreshadowing of good fortune for 2017, the Toledo decided to repair itself..

Got in it to go get parts for working on the Clio, and my brother said to me "LOOK! your rev counter now works"

And folks, that it does:) I did nothing to it.

Handily I also gave it the once over for it doing the first of its commutes to sunny Blackburn tomorrow. Departure time 0500. Wish me luck!

post-17572-0-85415800-1483394702_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-72048000-1483394726_thumb.jpg

Today the bold SEAT drove 235 miles south to meet up with the Northern* shiters in super sunny Glossop.

A nice wee town, a lovely big car park and some good banter -what more could a shiter ask for?

Good to see all and sundry along with an eclectic mix of cars:)

Please excuse the shanner pictures..

post-17572-0-61360700-1484091740_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-37088500-1484091786_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Poor lil Toledo has been sat up doing nothing since Mid Jan.

It has sat neglected,handbrake on and battery connected for 3 months.

Went up to it today- key in and BOOM -started first time.

Handbrake off, and it rolled freely-, no stuck brakes:)

post-17572-0-94865500-1493929884_thumb.jpg

All tyres were at 34psi and all fluid levels were bob on.

Its off up to see its uncle Tickman tomorrow for a fettling session, I packed it light:)

post-17572-0-31224600-1493929996_thumb.jpeg

Hopefully I should have a nice big update tomorrow evening:)

• 4 months later...

I chuckled when I saw that the piece of string I supplied to Mr Conelrad last time is still securing the bottom of the Rover's front wing!  He can clearly tie a decent knot.

When we were at Chumblebumley last Sunday, I forgot to check whether the string was still there...

• 3 months later...