37th time lucky: 2023 in review

barrett

After four months of happy motoring, it went off to fellow 'Shiter JohnDeere, who has since rectified many of its small failings and, I hope, is still enjoying it. I found a box of spares for it in the shed the other day, I'll get them up to you somehow fella.

attachicon.gifpost-3924-0-82352300-1464871612.jpg

That would be great. Happy to pay postage etc if it's not too heavy, or I'll get my brother to swing by.

Still enjoying it, and doing the odd fix, slowly. Hopefully closer to sorting out speedo, then will start looking at keeping the rusty bits at bay.

That was a truly magnificent write up about some superb cars. I am amazed that you have managed to own so many interesting cars over such a short period of time, let alone several at the same time.

That 404 cabriolet was a thing of beauty. I am ashamed to admit that I didn't know they existed (as French cars aren't my forte) but I am happy to have found out about the existence of such a stunning car. Great thread anyway, and I hope we see much, much more in the future.

Cheers guys!

Had an hour or so to kill after work today, so I sat in the sun and started cleaning up some of the Z1's aluminium trim. It's all a bit dented and scuffed so it'll never be perfect, but that just matches the rest of the car. I love jobs like this - instant gratification. I reckon that bumper's come up alright, what do you reckon?

post-3924-0-00891200-1471981687_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Those BX estates are belting cars.

What a great thread, nice to hear you cracked 30,000 in that BX too, that's brilliant going. What a shame it finally succumbed to rust though, I can imagine that news being like told your favourite pet has some horrible illness :(

The Xant is leaking all over a back street in Horsham. Needs the dosuer thingy replacing or rebuilt, but otherwise it's a decent car. Will be up for sale very soon at beer money. It was always gonna be a stopgap until I found another nice BX. I'm not sure how nice this one actually is yet, but it feels much more 'me'than the Xant

A few thoughts half way through week one of commuting in the new BX;

It's SLOW. I thought maybe Jack just had unrealistic expectations but no, it really is dead slow. 40mph in fourth, foot down on the floor and NOTHING happens. It seems unwilling to rev and the turbo really only starts to spool up at about 3600rpm. Will look at the vacuum pipes etc first, but if anyone has any suggestions they'd be welcome. Is this just what a 250,000 mile turbo is like?

The steering is quite heavy. It doesn't come in and out of power like my silver car (failing pump) so perhaps the belt needs some more tension? Or perhaps the power steering unit itself has had it?

The TZD/ GTi seats really don't do it for me, they are a bit too high and not soft enough. I'll try and swap my TXD seats over.

Otherwise it all seems pretty good, it's so nice to be back in a BX again! The old dear over the road was in the street "admiring the lines" when I came out the other morning so at least the neighbours don't hate it.

Check the turbo has 2 wheels and a shaft. I knew a lad once, who bodged a broken turbo, by taking out all the insides and sealing it up. Rover 418 TD

If it's got a shaft and 2 wheels, and spins, and the turbo is the right one for the car, the only thing is not hitting full boost.

Typically the waste gate will fail safe in the open position if there is an issue with the actuator or hoses going to it. Which will mean it never reaches boost.

Of course it might be something like blocked fuel filter, or air filter. 

Take a Renner F8M 1.6 n/a diesel and stick it in a V360 bodyshell.

54hp (a way bit less than the B14 petrol which lattery had ~71hp)

Diesels don't particularly float my boat and I never had one until that point. Then I bought it just because.

I drove it once before handing over the money and was gobsmacked by its sloth-like acceleration.

Try driving a 1.9 N/A automatic BX. It'll recalibrate your concept of SLOW / DEAD SLOW / NOTHING HAPPENS. Alternatively, try a Volvo 340 1.6 diesel.

A Xantia 1.9D auto would be even worse! My manual Xantia 1.9D went okay once it was up to speed, overtaking on rural roads was practically a no go though.

I quite like rubbish old non turbo diesels but I think I'd draw the line at anything slower than a Nissan Vanette.

Somebody saw my other cars and tracked me down and asked if I wanted a free BX! It's been off the road for a couple of years but has had quite a bit of work done in that time. He lives within walking distance of the citroen garage I use so I'm gonna limp it over there and get them to put an Mot on it. Quote excited actually, I've always really liked the look of these Mk1s and it seems like a pretty decent car.