37th time lucky: 2023 in review

barrett

Yeah it came over from Jersey two years ago. Was originally sold to the French consulate there, and then to one of the consulate employees after a couple of years. He kept it until he died. I've just been looking through the service history, it looks like it wanted for nothing in his ownership, although judging by the number of bills for 'new door mirror' he wasn't the most careful driver. It even had a low mileage recon engine back in 2004!

Just went to pick this up. Typically I have been stressing about it all week, and went up with three freshly shared batteries, a couple of cans of fuel and a load of tools. Thought I'd just try it on the key and it fired first time! Bit of a lumpy idle but it soon settled down. Drove it round for a bit and it seems to go really well, quite a different 'feel' to a Mk2, it feels noticeably older but it drives well. I've deposited it at my garage for them to give it a check over and start working towards an Mot. Assuming it's not totally rotten, I have the correct front bumper and mirrors to go on and it will be getting a little bit of paint in a couple of areas. I desperately need some front seats for it if any French shiters know of any sitting in yards over there...

post-3924-0-24860100-1475664534_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing much to report here. My mechanic reckons it's a 'good one' so I've given him a wad of cash and he'll be getting on with the small jobs it needs for an MoT. I've begun the registration process which is always frustrating, but this is probably the 10th car I've imported/registered now so I've got the technique pretty much down (I hope).

In other news I have sold the Allegro to a friend of mine who should be taking it away soon. It's going to a good home, so should be back on the road before too long. Here's a very similar picture to the above just because I really like how this thing looks.

post-3924-0-06033800-1476892086_thumb.jpg

Hmmm. I don't want to jinx anything but subject to some logistics it's looking like car number 18 will be happening sooner rather than later. I'm really excited, which doesn't happen very often.

My mechanic says he'll have a real push on the Mk1 next week and I've now got all the other paperwork to register it, so hopefully that'll be on the road (not 100% legally) within a fortnight.

I love BX estates, especially in pez flavour seeing as most people seem to covet the diesel ones. If I could be bothered I'd look up howmanyleft to see how few pez estates still exist.

Safe to say you'll never be without a BX then Scott?!

I dunno, I can't see myself without one now. When I briefly didn't have one on the road and was using the Xantia I really didn't get any enjoyment from driving, even though it was a nice car. I haven't really clicked with the green break yet, it needs a really good going over to try and restore some of the lost performance (I'm sure it's a fuel starvation issue now) but nevertheless it's MUCH better than the Xant - I just sort of 'fit' in a BX, I can't really explain it. The silver hatch is still the best one I've ever driven and I really need to get some money together to try and save it.

I'm the same with Mk3 Cavaliers. It's taken me 20 odd years of driving to realise they are the car that suit me best. My current one is a bit rough but I don't hesitate spending money on it because I like it, and it's always old faithful when other shite conks out.

Be good if I could I pop down some time and see the Mk1, and have a mini AS meet with Gary if he's around.

The Xantia should, and in some ways technically is, be better than a BX but it's not.  Having owned both in 1.9 diesel flavour I have to say the decidedly more worn out and non-turbo-assisted BX was a better balanced, more enjoyable, more fun place to be than the Xantia and that makes absolutely no sense at all.  Quite envious of your assortment of BXs really and I would like to go back to one some day but only if it's petrol and ideally an estate which will likely mean the importing route as you have with this smart early estate.

I think this thread inspired my next purchase somewhat. I'll be on 3 cars in 3 months of having a licence soon enough.....although I did own 2 MK2 Fiestas before I passed too. If there's a serial car buying bug, I was bitten by it a long time ago.

That MK1 BX really is a thing of pure beauty.

• 2 weeks later...

Update! BX Mk1 went for its mot today. I don't know if it passed or not. Apparently it overheated on the short drive to the station though, dumping a load of coolant on a petrol station forecourt. This doesn't sound like great news.

I've now paid a deposit for car 18 and it's been removed from sale. This also doesn't sound like good news. I already have that sick feeling that precedes a car purchase with the added frisson of an 800 mile drive in a totally unknown vehicle added in to the mix! Brilliant.

I already have that sick feeling that precedes a car purchase with the added frisson of an 800 mile drive in a totally unknown vehicle added in to the mix! Brilliant.

The alternative is to arrive at the local dealers to be roundly ignored at first, then be given some coffee that's too hot to drink while a salesman with a shiny suit does you such a good deal he's got to check it with his boss, the halitosis-ridden bastard.

I'd drive 800 miles in an unknown car to avoid that.

The Xantia should, and in some ways technically is, be better than a BX but it's not.  Having owned both in 1.9 diesel flavour I have to say the decidedly more worn out and non-turbo-assisted BX was a better balanced, more enjoyable, more fun place to be than the Xantia and that makes absolutely no sense at all.

The BX is much lighter. Xantias have a slightly 'aloof' feel, you can chuck them about but they're not that into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Eugh. Green Mk2 is having its alternator replaced at great expense. My mechanic found a load of rust and other things and basically said it's probably on its last MoT.

Mk1 had catastrophic HGF today, no warning, no lights, just the contents of the radiator exiting the exhaust pipe in the form of steam. I was on my way to a photo shoot, and managed to get back to the office by topping the rad up on the way back, but I suspect the engine is toast if it'll blow a head gasket at normal running temp with no signs of overheating. I dunno. I basically don't have any money or any working cars and my interest is at an all time low after this. Would happily chop them all in for a Fabia or whatever. Bloody French shit.

That's serious pisser especially after all the money and effort given .

I'm sad to say this is why I eventually bought a modern car . I'm wasn't too handy with the spanners and just didn't Have the time to put up with it howevet I think you're made of stronger stuff!

• 1 month later...

Right. Got the green break a new alternator and pressed it back into service. I also treated it to a new windscreen the other day, and stumbled upon a Halfords selling the near-mythical £3 bottles of LHM. Lovely.

I also said goodbye to this. It's gone to a good home and will be back on the road before too long I imagine

post-3924-0-08284200-1484690909_thumb.jpg

I got angrydicky busy with the flapwheel and hammerite on this lump of Panhard, which is the first new paint on the car ever. Lovely.

post-3924-0-22449600-1484691017_thumb.jpg

I also now have five restored and painted wheels with fresh Michelin Xs ready to go on, and have had the brake shoes relined. If everything falls into place the rear suspension should be going back together at the end of February, but money is very tight at the moment because THE 404 IS FINISHED! Just need to go and pick it up (and pay for it), which should happen in the next few weeks. I still have mystery car #18 to collect and pay for which will also hopefully happen soon.