Cavcraft's real life road tests: Rover 420.

Cavcraft

Number one in a series of (probably) one.

Take one internet auction site purchase. Contact seller, arrange collection. Go to work in van (nice little earner on way home) call to seller's house, don't examine car. Pay, get V5C and key, drive home in van, return later on fancy* Italian steed and achieve 5 personal bests on Strava without trying too hard.

Arrive a destination, 6.5 miles away...

rover2.jpg 

Put sexy Italian steed in boot, drive home.

Right, nicely spec'd 420'iL' 2.0 litre petrol. Starts on the button, brakes a little sticky as it's been standing a few weeks he said. I'm not exacly driving to the end of the world and back, but there's always that nagging worry about your first time driving a cheapo motor. Will it break down, will it explode, do all the gears work, do the brakes work, does the clutch slip, yadda, yadda yadda?

Drove great, not a massive amount of power around the 2k revs mark, get to three and things start happening, get to 4 as you're giving it some and f*ck me, off it goes in some style. Bit of a roar from the exhaust, but an odd feeling as it doesn't feel like you should be going quick, and in something shitter (ha!) you'd probably notice it more.

Slightly woolly feel, but I'm probably being a bit harsh as my current yardstick is the MX5 and that's everything a car should be with cherries on top. Not too clonky over bumps, surprisingly refined but think the tracking out a touch due to minor pull to the right.

I seem to get a lot of my awful cars from the South Wirral area and I have my favourite 'test drive' route coming home down the back lanes. I started giving the Rover some and it does that ace thing where you can just piss about rolling off the throttle then booting it again in 3rd and 4th and it pulled really well. I like doing that if unsure of corners etc: sort of roll off until you can see the other side, then foot flat down, and bang, we're off again. It's that sort of 'driveability' some cars have that make them more fun to use, just easy but involving at the same time, if that makes sense.

Noticed the temp gauge needle was under the radar a bit when I started the car up, like it'd dropped a bit so was worried it didn't work. Needless concern, it warmed up as I'd have expected and worked fine without overheating despite a hefty Italian tune-up. The leather seats are the epitome of comfort without being too slidey and I reckon a long journey would be pretty effortless as there's enough grunt to make it easy to overtake and it's quite calm and relaxing to drive. Engine looks mintola, tyres etc all good and the mileage (77,000) probably genuine. It even feels like you'd expect a Rover too, all sort of pretend posh and the target market for a very limited audience who probably cling to the good old days of the Empire, or some such bollocks. Probably worth remembering that most of my cars are so shit that a skateboard with a six inch nail for a seat would seem like luxury, but it's a nice old bus and no mistaking. Less shit, more pictures...

rover3.jpgrover4.jpgrover5.jpgrover6.jpgrover7.jpgrover8.jpg

Fin.

It even feels like you'd expect a Rover too, all sort of pretend posh and the target market for a very limited audience who probably cling to the good old days of the Empire, or some such bollocks. 

rover3.jpgattachicon.gifrover4.jpgattachicon.gifrover5.jpgattachicon.gifrover6.jpgattachicon.gifrover7.jpgattachicon.gifrover8.jpg

attachicon.gif

Fin.

Pretty much sums these up!    The only trouble is, I feel I am slipping toward the abyss of gifferdom that these obviously intended to appeal to and each one I see begins to repel me less than the one before.   Those seats definitely aren't helping......

It's a bit of a shock, even now, seeing how many bits of those were straight out of the Honda Civic that I had as a company car for a while. That was the 1.6 VTEC though, with cloth, and my enduring memory of it was that the 'Pirates black metallic' that I chose for it, had rather less metallic in it than I hoped. And that's it. Totally unmemorable. Glad to hear that the leather, 2 litre and the badge makes it a whole lot more rewarding to drive.

These are great, not tried a 2.0 45/400 in petrol mode but have diesel and that was pretty fast. Incedently I was in the CavCraft town of Chester today but only passing through, caught the very comfy leather seated bus to Shotton railway station heading towards: Warrington :(

Wassa plan for the Rover? Keep/sell/scrap?

That's a weird set up (Shotton to Warrington) train must have been quite close to my gaffe at some point. If you ever get some notice you're heading through and want a lift somewhere just give me a shout, if I'm off can easily sort something out.

POSH!  

Thats pretty much how my current 75 purchase went, I didn't test drive it, just went and paid giffer seller  (after a 100 phone calls about how much it might be worth cos yellow)  then returned on Specialized Hardrock a day later which got thrown across the back seat of said Rover then drove said banger off home and discovered a multitude of knocks and bangs.  But it didn't explode or overheat, surely these 2 things are meant to happen when you buy a cheap old Rover blind?

Win.