Decoding Ebay Registration Number

BorniteIdentity

I know this has been posted about countless times, but I've now run several searches via AS and "The Google" and still can't find the method.

1. I've found a car relevant to my interests.

2. An oily rag obscures the reg.

3. How do I find out what registration it was listed by? (Assuming it was) 

Thanks in advance.

courtesy of Pillock in a different thread.....

You can only do it if the ebay advert has the "Get the vehicle status report" link in the Item Specifics box, where the reg number will be "Y******" or something.

Click the link, in the address it goes to something like http://cgi.ebay.co.u...&vrm_d=Y*** ***

It'll say "Viewjumppageforvehiclehistory" in the address, and then &vrm= with a load of gibberish.

You want to copy the bit after &vrm= until the first % sign - so in the example above, it's WTY2OFhBT

Go to https://www.base64decode.org/and paste that encoded text in, and hit decode.

This example is Y668XAO

top tip. I find the forum search to be shit so I use google. Type " site:autoshite.com ebay registration decode " into google and its the second result. Use whatever keywords you like after the site name to search for stuff much more effectively than the forums own search system.

Im looking for a specific model on ebay and have previously done that. They wouldnt tell me for "security reasons" - ie they know its got a shitty MOT history and dont want people to look it up and decide not to view the car, hence why they cover the reg in the photos in the first place.