Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder

I've been approached by a Youtuber to make a video on the base and I'm struggling to think of a single reason it's a good idea. From what I gather - they borrow the car, drive the car, review the car, then get the Youtube revenue whilst I pay for the petrol and am supposed to be grateful.

Is my brief summary - in essence - how it works?

I can't think of a polite way to say no, so will probably say nothing and hope that @Skizzercan do a Grand Thrift Auto on it later in the year.

Depends really. 

It sounds as if it is a youtuber you dont watch or enjoy. On that basis i wouldnt see why youd lend it out unless for financial gain.

if it was someone you watched and liked id guess youd chuck them the keys and say crack on no questions. 

Id like to think on a lengthy test drive that they would chuck some juice in it after. 

Years ago, someone put my name forward for my shonky mk2 cavalier to be in a drama series. Based in the mid 80s.  Apparently it would be parked in the street. 

The terms were vague.  Someone would come and collect it, drive it to the film studios, return it 3 days later. Or I could take it and stay with it, on set for 2 days.  

How much is it worth ? You get your car in a TV series mate.

Before I had the chance to say no, they decided my car wasn't base enough. 

I was thinking you pay me £300 a day and provide accomodation.  Apparently not. 

1 minute ago, New POD said:

Years ago, someone put my name forward for my shonky mk2 cavalier to be in a drama series. Based in the mid 80s.  Apparently it would be parked in the street. 

The terms were vague.  Someone would come and collect it, drive it to the film studios, return it 3 days later. Or I could take it and stay with it, on set for 2 days.  

How much is it worth ? You get your car in a TV series mate.

Before I had the chance to say no, they decided my car wasn't base enough. 

I was thinking you pay me £300 a day and provide accomodation.  Apparently not. 

Most freelance techs in the TV industry don't get paid that much...

Enjoyed catching up with this thread, great stuff. Reminded me of my 1994 T4 1.9 n/a, pretty gutless to be honest but i drove it down to South East Spain in 23 hours, a time I've only equalled. 

I chased the cosmetic rust on the front and rear arches for years. Would have been better to replace the front wings and rust proof them from the outset. Eventually had to have some welding done to the underside, after it had been an MOT advisory for about four years.

I did some mods on it, but the one that made the big difference to the driving pleasure was the 4 inch alloy gear lever extender (painted black it looked standard) so no more leaning forward to change gear. Not sure if your 2.5 has the short lever or not though.

2 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I've been approached by a Youtuber to make a video on the base and I'm struggling to think of a single reason it's a good idea. From what I gather - they borrow the car, drive the car, review the car, then get the Youtube revenue whilst I pay for the petrol and am supposed to be grateful.

I can't think of a polite way to say no, so will probably say nothing and hope that @Skizzercan do a Grand Thrift Auto on it later in the year.

Each to their own. Personally I'd be quite flattered if someone wanted to review my battered and shonky fleet. 🤣

Would be quite nice seeing my cars on (digital) film and someone else's view point on it. Admittedly none of them are probably of much interest to most YouTubers...

I guess as you work in the media industry, it's not much of a novelty to have that?

1 hour ago, R1152 said:

Most freelance techs in the TV industry don't get paid that much...

No. I can imagine.

but they seemed to think they were doing me a favour. 

3 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I would absolutely love to do a film on it, and thanks for thinking of me. But I would much rather feature you and me talking about it and why it’s special, rather than just another road test. I don’t mind who drives.  I’d gladly spring for gas if that would help.

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Each to their own. Personally I'd be quite flattered if someone wanted to review my battered and shonky fleet. 🤣

Would be quite nice seeing my cars on (digital) film and someone else's view point on it. Admittedly none of them are probably of much interest to most YouTubers...

I’d be very much game on for this too.   I care as much about why the cars matter and what it’s like to own them as about what they’re like to drive, probably more.

Bear in mind Grand Thrift Auto is still a tiny new channel at the moment, so we’re not exactly in the realm of celebrity. Or even monetisation.

I don’t do this type of stuff but surely *you* don’t need to pay for the fuel? 😳 

I never knew they were supposed to be covered!  I looked at them yesterday thinking "Ah - should be easy to get the scuttle panel off without breaking a million clips" without thinking "EXPOSED NUTS"

Thanks mate.

Nobody likes exposed nuts.

Unless you’re Jimmy Savile.

I’d be very much game on for this too.   I care as much about why the cars matter and what it’s like to own them as about what they’re like to drive, probably more.
Bear in mind Grand Thrift Auto is still a tiny new channel at the moment, so we’re not exactly in the realm of celebrity. Or even monetisation.
Didn't realise you had a channel, have another subscriber.

I'll try and remember to smash that like button or whatever it is one does

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SiC said:

I guess as you work in the media industry, it's not much of a novelty to have that?

I don’t think there’s anything flattering about it at all - and am a bit bemused by the whole influencer/YouTuber thing. Ostensibly, they have nothing to sell. No vehicles, no nothing. They rely entirely on other people’s generosity to make money. 

To then monetise a channel without any offer of remuneration is, frankly, a bit of a pisstake. If you’re going to make money from something, and you have to borrow a key piece of kit in order to make the money, surely you at least offer a small percentage?

It wouldn’t matter who it was (and I was asked twice last year about the Mini) it’s a no. I’m not doing it for the likes or internet fame or whatever - I have them because they make me feel like not everything in life has changed, and because they cheer me up. Not for nerds. 

8 minutes ago, timolloyd said:

If one of the car mags came along and wanted to feature it (assuming they pay for your fuel, but nothing more) would you do that?

I don't remember getting fuel money when #humblebrag my allegro had a photoshoot with and was on the cover of PC.

But I had a nice few hours at their workshop so was more than happy.

New found optimism found me on the phone to my classic friendly, Ford loving garage this morning in an attempt to organise an MOT pass. 

“Be about three weeks, mate”. 

I absolutely love their attitude. They do just enough work to keep themselves busy, but no more. Never. So called somewhere else and got it booked in for later this week. 

Thought I’d get some petrol and deliver it tonight. Fired it up, refilled the mysteriously self emptying header tank, went to unwind the window and 

EAAB99C8-BDF8-4A8E-8A17-74FA3BBDE3E1.thumb.jpeg.679b193b3b7a3105ebe029b5a2791f75.jpeg

Ugh.

My attempt to rectify it only made it sink to the bottom. 😠 

Make no mistake about it. This is what happens when you attempt to extend the life of a car beyond what it’s meant to be, and moreover - what happens when you don’t use a car as intended. Had I done more than 164 miles in 15 month, I’m quite certain this little dirty protest wouldn’t have happened. 

It’s pitch black, I’ve managed to wedge the little shit up and I’ve gone back inside to look at Japanese cars again. 

I sympathise greatly. Almost a year of essential travel only is doing terrible things to my fleet, with some cars that were running well and regularly a year ago now struggling with dead batteries, stale fuel, problem electrics and heaven knows what.

No end in sight here in Wales to the ban on driving far enough to warm a car up and charge its battery.

See also Neil 320Touring’s Seat Toledo thread for more evidence of this phenomenon, plus others I’m sure.

I guess the appeal is to have an interesting bit of history to go with the car.  Link to the test drive video in the advert, include a copy of the magazine on the back seat etc.  One and a half of my old cars have been test driven on Hubnut (the Legacy which Hillman Imp now has and my half of the Baleno GSR which Tickman now has).  Both sold on here, so pretty sure the videos didn't help, but certainly the legacy one was a good laugh.  Most folk on here would be welcome to a similar drive of my fleet.

Don't think I'd be game to let an unknown journalist off in my car for a long period of time at my expense and hassle though.

1 hour ago, holbeck said:

I had an email exchange with PC recently about them using a car I own for a photo shoot. 

The figure of (a maximum of) £50  expenses was mentioned. 

I know the PC guys (**CLANG - NAME DROP - OMG I'M WILLY WAVING) and they're a lovely, genuine sort.  But the problem is self perpetuating.  They don't pay any more than "expenses" for cars because they don't have to.

If everyone, in unison, went - "Ok - that's fine - £200 sounds fair as a day rate" then the massive bastard conglomerate that is Bauer Media (the biggest magazine company in the UK, a company that owns 120 radio stations UK wide and is worth a pretty penny) would have to cough up.  They'd have no choice.

On 2/21/2021 at 3:07 PM, Skizzer said:

I would absolutely love to do a film on it, and thanks for thinking of me. But I would much rather feature you and me talking about it and why it’s special, rather than just another road test. I don’t mind who drives.  I’d gladly spring for gas if that would help.

I would definitely enjoy watching something like that :)