Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

20 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

With Lockdown3.0 - we’ve had just two cars on the road since Christmas. In reality, that was one or two too many - but it wasn’t the six we were running this time last year. 

The Multipla was a revelation, and we looked hard to find another one. Sadly (for me) all the lovely ones have been wheelchair converted and all the remaining ones are shit. Honda FRVs were considered too, but I realised one thing. Nobody ever goes to work hoping one day to own a Honda FRV. If this year has taught me anything, it’s JFDI. It’s also taught me that - as a family - we like to get outside and do stuff. So, a van it was. 

We quickly ruled out Toyotas and LDVs (thanks @wuvvum) and I’ve always liked Caravelles. T4s are just starting to look cool now, so we set about trying to find one. I’ve probably said this in the memoirs before, but I honestly think the right car finds you.  The seller was a lovely lovely guy and, on the basis “people buy people” the deal was done swiftly and politely. 

B35ED840-DBC7-4838-8C00-4A3A870B5FAE.thumb.jpeg.42662ee28cf93960560322f1fdd34f8e.jpeg

BE3E6CE5-7D25-46A7-AAF3-8B9D6BC7FCCF.thumb.jpeg.1eaf8620cb4b5aa0c823821d49484b67.jpeg

377AE76E-3503-4412-A551-FA00E50BB0E7.thumb.jpeg.4bd11e1a42dc14a9cf65caddfa2bd463.jpeg

@barefoot

245,600 miles on the ODO

The belts are due so that’s the first job; fortunately my tamed mechanic has a T4 himself and is all kitted up.  

If they've not been done please spend the £50 to change the hydraulic tappets too, mine failed before that odo reading..... 😁 

Looks gurt lush, well done. 

I've been going through the service history of this vehicle, and to say it's had everything would be an understatement.  Generally, it was looked after by the VW Vans Dealership - occasionally it would go to a local place in Forest Hill which the Caravelle Centre (RIP) recommended to him.  When in France, he spent 1300Euro on a new Alternator, a few years before the same dealership in France did 600Euro of work for him whilst on holiday.  The bills, over the last 5 years alone, exceed the purchase price.  Nothing was scrimped on, premium tyres, air conditioning re-gassed regularly, been to the bodyshop for paint 3 times, the list just goes on and on and on.

Anyway - 10/10 would recommend buying a ULEZ refugee from a Christian gentleman.  It's bloody beautiful.

On 1/23/2021 at 1:17 PM, BorniteIdentity said:

With Lockdown3.0 - we’ve had just two cars on the road since Christmas. In reality, that was one or two too many - but it wasn’t the six we were running this time last year. 

The Multipla was a revelation, and we looked hard to find another one. Sadly (for me) all the lovely ones have been wheelchair converted and all the remaining ones are shit. Honda FRVs were considered too, but I realised one thing. Nobody ever goes to work hoping one day to own a Honda FRV. If this year has taught me anything, it’s JFDI. It’s also taught me that - as a family - we like to get outside and do stuff. So, a van it was. 

We quickly ruled out Toyotas and LDVs (thanks @wuvvum) and I’ve always liked Caravelles. T4s are just starting to look cool now, so we set about trying to find one. I’ve probably said this in the memoirs before, but I honestly think the right car finds you.  The seller was a lovely lovely guy and, on the basis “people buy people” the deal was done swiftly and politely. 

B35ED840-DBC7-4838-8C00-4A3A870B5FAE.thumb.jpeg.42662ee28cf93960560322f1fdd34f8e.jpeg

BE3E6CE5-7D25-46A7-AAF3-8B9D6BC7FCCF.thumb.jpeg.1eaf8620cb4b5aa0c823821d49484b67.jpeg

377AE76E-3503-4412-A551-FA00E50BB0E7.thumb.jpeg.4bd11e1a42dc14a9cf65caddfa2bd463.jpeg

Huge thanks to everyone in my T4 thread for help, and to the legendary @barefootfor his advice, insight and connections in the VW world. They all reassured me that the price was fair, so it’s now parked outside!

It’s a gorgeous old thing. Characterful, and full of stories. They’d take it to the French Riviera each year which helped contribute to the 245,600 miles on the ODO. Despite the miles, there’s no smoke and no taps.

The belts are due so that’s the first job; fortunately my tamed mechanic has a T4 himself and is all kitted up. 

Really looking forward to getting to the beach and making a brew in my HUGE boot! 

Bring on summer 🍍 

Who are you and what have you done with Bornite? I was expecting, nay wanting, some flagrant lunacy like a Grand Espace or a Grand Space Pickering.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:54 AM, Dick Longbridge said:

That looks ridiculously clean for a T4. A friend owned a 2.5tdi for a few years and loved the thing. He struggled to keep rust at bay around the front end though despite his best efforts.  He's ended up with a 55 plate derv Monduno estate which he also rates highly. Go figure. 

If he likes MK3 Mondeos then I'm afraid to say I'd be forced to cut him out of my life.  One way or another.

The previous owner was very much of the opinion that prevention was better than cure, so would take the car to the bodyshop every couple of years and spend £300 to keep on top of things.  When the weather warms up I'll be lashing a lot of Bilt Hamber stuff on the underneath to buy some time, but rust on something that's 20 years old - regardless of origin - is inevitable.  

If you love it enough (or have spent a lot of money on it) you're wise to protect your investment.

Well bought, I resisted these for years due to disliking the scene element but now they seem to be fading a little out of fashion against newer T5s etc I think a T4 will be my next project once I've shifted the Traaansit on.  A friend of mine bought a T plate Caravelle a few months back, proper scruffy, over 200k miles but solid and with exceptional service history and one owner from new - like you said, it has a story to tell and can do everything they could ever want it to.

A friend of mine has a 2002 T4 conversion with a chipped 2.5 slowly dissolving on his driveway since he replaced it with a Boxer, it's shabby as hell but he's had it 10+ years and is quite attached to it.  I might have to see if he can be persuaded to part with it.

6 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

If he likes MK3 Mondeos then I'm afraid to say I'd be forced to cut him out of my life.  One way or another.

The previous owner was very much of the opinion that prevention was better than cure, so would take the car to the bodyshop every couple of years and spend £300 to keep on top of things.  When the weather warms up I'll be lashing a lot of Bilt Hamber stuff on the underneath to buy some time, but rust on something that's 20 years old - regardless of origin - is inevitable.  

If you love it enough (or have spent a lot of money on it) you're wise to protect your investment.

Yup, he's Grade A loon material. I wouldn't want to live next door to him tbf. 

As soon as the weather warms up a bit and restrictions lift a bit, I'm looking into trying to get a bit of workshop time under the MR2 and tend to the ginger bits. Road salt is grim stuff. Bilt Hamber products certainly should help keep your T4 solid. 

So, week one of Caravelle ownership has been - boring. We’ve not been anywhere owing to the fact we’ve not needed to... and it’s not taxed.

Many many phone calls have been made to organise a timing belt service which has, as yet, not resulted in a booking. The local garage was £630, my favourite local garage don’t want the job as they’ve not called back, my very favourite garage haven’t called back as they’re too bloody busy, the Main Dealer is £479 plus VAT and I’ve basically run out of other places to ring. It will likely go to the Main Dealer for peace of mind, but I really can’t be arsed with the teeth kissing and the inevitable “report of doom.”

I managed to blag some carpet from the freecycle initiative we have in our village. Regular readers will acknowledge my Womble tendencies and know all about my enthusiasm for durability. On the basis I’ve invested* a fair chunk of money into this bus, I’d like to keep it nice. My thinking is removable carpet will make it easier to get beach sand out, and protect the original interior too. It’s not a great job as I did it by eye with a blunt knife, but it has come out very well. 

EB894B6C-F777-4CB2-A5EF-00EAF5E43EF5.thumb.jpeg.6074a13f575b85ea542f773a8c9fa0c9.jpeg

Look at the size of the boot! I reckon you could tour an entire orchestra in this!

CF554B6B-5733-4345-AB2C-C80855D5A03B.thumb.jpeg.4cad0574b087272f38ab642d9f4ccf2a.jpeg

0203A28D-48E5-45F9-BD49-FDC204024E71.thumb.jpeg.c10b5165a34934445b7bdfc8dfddbc85.jpeg

0C97F50D-96E2-43C3-9087-0E6BA858E2E0.thumb.jpeg.89e3ba8b2e70ddebd134b327a28b3fcc.jpeg

Should make it easier to keep clean, plus it smells like a new house now. 

Next stop: timing belt. 

This morning, Facebook reminds me there was a time in my life when I owned just one car.  Since 2006 when a Capri II piqued my interest (and I bought it for £350) I've nearly always had at least two cars.

But 2012 I was 30 and mortgaged up to the tits.  We'd just had our third son and, after the VVTi saga with my previous Avensis, appetite was low for side bitches.  

Here I am, improvising, taking a bath to the tip for my Father-in-Law who had a brand new Subaru Impreza STI thing at the time.  As the only Son-in-Law who was local, and game, I did the job whilst he sat at home drinking coffee.  God I'm good (!)

No photo description available.

We briefly considered putting someone IN the bath and going for a drive, but unfortunately nobody was willing.

22 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Nowt wrong with a Mk3 Mondeo.  Bloody good cars until the injectors / fuel pump / DMF / any combination of the foregoing eventually shart themselves.

I remember the first time I drove a MK3 Mondeo thinking how bloody big they were inside - it felt more like a Granada than a Mondeo. It was one of the first on an X plate and had those iconic LX trims. Mine was a ridiculous bargain from a mate who was leaving the country. This was 2008 and the car was a 2000 - I gave him £500! Granted it needed four tyres and two springs straight away, but was still a steal. Sadly, it was a fucking lemon and anything that could go wrong - did. It’s on SORN somewhere now, no scrap marker. Who knows. 

873AA66C-C340-4D13-830D-F6B98874AAE1.thumb.jpeg.f854ade76f02de7994ef0b152dc2e7fd.jpeg

Had reason to take the Caravelle out tonight (trip to the accountant to deliver documents) and I just love it more every time I drive it. You feel like the king of the road perched on the captain’s chair with your arm resting on the door - barrelling along at a fantastic pace. 008769F4-5659-43B6-93BE-45F4C972A515.thumb.jpeg.82f09a35f036100dfc25471c97f26d16.jpeg

Everyone’s mentioned the sound of the 5 cylinder but, truth be told, it’s very well insulated inside and I’d not heard anything worthy of remark. The turbo sounds like a meowing cat which never gets old - but... what’s this?! Ah! The noise. Over 3000 rpm the cacophony from under the bonnet is MARVELLOUS. It’s like a Mini Coach! With the radio off and the window down, I’m pleased to confirm I carried out a series of “sonic checks” on the way home. It sounds fantastic. 

Still having difficulties choosing a garage to do the timing belt; I might just have to wait until my favoured garage have a bit more time to consider it. 

On 24/01/2021 at 10:06 AM, scdan4 said:

If they've not been done please spend the £50 to change the hydraulic tappets too, mine failed before that odo reading..... 😁 

Looks gurt lush, well done. 

Did you change the camshaft too, or reuse the old one? I have at least one of these engines with valvetrain noise.

The Caravelle looks like a great buy Bornite and I agree it's nice to see one that hasn't been badly modified. 

PXL_20210106_132305974.jpg

4 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

...I just love it more every time I drive it. You feel like the king of the road perched on the captain’s chair with your arm resting on the door

It's addictive isn't it?  I still end up grinning like an idiot pretty much every time I drive my van even after two and a half years.  Can't wait to get it back on the road in the spring (I did the smart thing and kept it away from the salt this year) as I'm very much missing driving it.  Despite it being comically slow, ridiculously noisy, having a dodgy fuel tank breather so it takes 20 minutes to fill the tank, has steering which at parking speeds is on par with that of a Daimler CVG6 in the heaviness department, and doesn't fit in normal sized parking spaces...I still miss driving it.

Just hope the next MOT costs less than the last one!

6 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I've always found it slightly odd how heavy the steering is on even a standard TN van at parking speeds - and that in spite of the steering wheel being about 6' in diameter.  Other non-assisted 3.5-tonne vans I've driven have been much more manageable.

Yeah, I was worried initially something was amiss with it, but they apparently are just like that.  Anything above walking pace it's absolutely fine...just bloody heavy below that.  Despite the ship's helm sized wheel and it being about sixteen turns lock to lock.

Granted...the looks of disgust from modern van drivers when they see the turning circle are worth it.  The thing can virtually turn in its own length which still messes with my head a bit sometimes.  Does mean you have to be bloody careful of the tail swing though.