Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

Just dropping in to say that this old bus looks fantastic. Great colour and just looks 'right'. I would defo crick my neck to get a better look, if this came past me.

I often drive past one of these on my regular trips to Wickes to buy DIY crap, its got all the usual shit chucked all over it - black bonnet, spacky wheels, and the obligatory stickers about Transformers, #vanlife, "Its a Volkswagen thing, you wouldnt understand" and so on. The guy lives in Sutton in Ashfield FFS :roll::roll::roll:

I’m very fortunate in that my house came with a tandem length garage. Even more fortunate that I got £10k off the price because it’s wonky.

Unfortunate because we think it has a cement bonded asbestos roof. The surveyor thinks it is, another surveyor thinks it isn’t. 

Even more unfortunately it’s leaked ever since we’ve lived here. 

Sadly, it can’t be ignored any more. So I’ve started tidying up ahead of having it redone in the spring. I found four boxes in the garage of car parts that I hadn’t opened, and couldn’t remember what they were! 

We have two gas struts for a sierra... these also for the sierra 

CE46F142-220F-491D-8CD2-5ECE1C50736C.thumb.jpeg.fb7d0b396828751b299688b62442b650.jpeg

D0CE4F89-6AE6-4564-9053-B06DCF3629BA.thumb.jpeg.8f6a85a70283af6e2bd4a3cdac028d1a.jpeg

A heater matrix and a radiator. Also another box of door seals for a Mini that I don’t even remember getting! 

Also, I removed the tremendously Christian sticker from the Caravelle; not because I don’t like the Christians (they did some good songs in the 80s) but I want the bus totally stock. 

71D7EB30-68C7-46F3-8148-C68D7B5DF462.thumb.jpeg.11302a315dbc25926c18e1007cf04ad6.jpeg

Update time.

Fiat 500 passed its MOT today with almost flying colours.  There's a rather cautious advisory for misting around the shocker which 1) I couldn't really see and 2) doesn't seem to be having any negative effect on the ride of the car.  

image.thumb.png.a2bb64d5a39e7ea50abbedb1f80b0f73.png

The Caravelle is in for a timing belt kit tomorrow, and I expect to be relieved of nearly £600 for the privilege.  I've been amazed at how many garages I know and respect who simply don't want the gig.  Two called back and said "no thanks" - one has thus far ignored me and another just priced himself out of it.  It was very nearly going to the dealer until I spoke to the guy in the village who said his mechanic knows them well so game on.

Finally, the Clio is off to pastures new next week.  Truth is, I've really enjoyed owning it (and really enjoyed some of the rough and tumble of dealing with idiots) but I want to run the Sierra this year and get my Mini properly sorted.  It's not even about money - I'm just easily distracted, and it's all too easy to just keep using the car that's at the end of the driveway.  Few cars means hotter rotation.  That said, I will really miss is.

IMG_6903.thumb.jpeg.ddb47992af5b9d4a754dca3d45190b88.jpeg

6 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

The Caravelle is in for a timing belt kit tomorrow, and I expect to be relieved of nearly £600 for the privilege. 

I bought an entire Renault Trafic for less than that!  Not surprised it's fairly dear though, they're not the easiest of engines to change the belts on.

As mentioned in the FS/Wanted section - the plan is to run the Sierra as my daily car this year whilst the Avensis takes a pause from the Queen's Highway and the Mini is, hopefully, renovated.  

To that end, any leads for MK1 Sierra parts would be most welcomed.  

In time, sadly, that cracked dash is going to have to come out.  It is totally and utterly mullered.  With that changed, and some better (albeit L spec) door cards, it will be somewhere I won't actually mind sitting.  Imagine!

First though, two doors need to be fitted - locks swapped - painted up etc and the clutch needs doing too.  I have one, but am likely going to buy a decent branded one just for confidence.

In the meantime, here's a (pimped up) Base Spec which was once on the popular TV show Casualty.

1982 Ford Sierra 1.6 Base MkI

Very pleasing news - brought to my attention by top shiter and all round nice guy @Fabergé Greggs

image.thumb.png.853be30e9427629fe39b4babb4ec92c0.png

My Caravelle can take full advantage of bus lanes in Cambridge!  MEEP MEEP.

EDIT: Or can I?! Does a drivers seat count as a passenger seat?  If not I guess the number is actually 10+

The legendary @worldofceripulled up this morning with his impressive rig to take the Clio off to its new home (His brother, who I imagine is called WorldofEddie)

IMG_6941.thumb.jpeg.d90da578473dd70693e89e7f7e7e492d.jpeg

Quite amusingly, my neighbour opposite text me to ask "If I was feeling alright as it very much looks like you're selling a car".  Another neighbour walked past and promptly removed his hat and started humming the funeral march.  

It's almost like I've got a reputation for buying them but not selling them.

I'm glad it's gone off to a good home, and I'm glad that I can now start to focus some attention (and money) on the Sierra.

Unearthed this old thing today. Brakes were seized on, another reason to just bloody well use cars as intended. Started quite quickly with some help from the jump pack too which was pleasing. It’s lost some coolant since last time but I can’t for the bloody life of me find where. Hopefully something simple!

The clutch hardly slipped at all on a quick loosener around the block, but nonetheless it will get changed. 

The only known fault stopping an MOT pass was the lack of near side rear indicator. I took a better look today and found that it’s a crispy wire causing the problem. A quick wiggle and normal service has been resumed, save for a tail light which is out. 

With this in mind, the plan is to stick it in for an MOT ready to use as of March 1st. 

E7706EDF-A870-4BD8-A9A0-DF833524809F.thumb.jpeg.d6264259b718618f7e5033d3cc607daf.jpeg

Looking wonderfully shonky as always. 🥰

15 hours ago, greengartside said:

Not enough like buttons for this post ^^ Mega news.

EDIT* I’ve just noticed it’s missing the wiper arm nut covers, that’s probably worth adding onto the shopping list.

I never knew they were supposed to be covered!  I looked at them yesterday thinking "Ah - should be easy to get the scuttle panel off without breaking a million clips" without thinking "EXPOSED NUTS"

Thanks mate.

I've been approached by a Youtuber to make a video on the base and I'm struggling to think of a single reason it's a good idea. From what I gather - they borrow the car, drive the car, review the car, then get the Youtube revenue whilst I pay for the petrol and am supposed to be grateful.

Is my brief summary - in essence - how it works?

I can't think of a polite way to say no, so will probably say nothing and hope that @Skizzercan do a Grand Thrift Auto on it later in the year.

Depends really. 

It sounds as if it is a youtuber you dont watch or enjoy. On that basis i wouldnt see why youd lend it out unless for financial gain.

if it was someone you watched and liked id guess youd chuck them the keys and say crack on no questions. 

Id like to think on a lengthy test drive that they would chuck some juice in it after. 

Years ago, someone put my name forward for my shonky mk2 cavalier to be in a drama series. Based in the mid 80s.  Apparently it would be parked in the street. 

The terms were vague.  Someone would come and collect it, drive it to the film studios, return it 3 days later. Or I could take it and stay with it, on set for 2 days.  

How much is it worth ? You get your car in a TV series mate.

Before I had the chance to say no, they decided my car wasn't base enough. 

I was thinking you pay me £300 a day and provide accomodation.  Apparently not. 

1 minute ago, New POD said:

Years ago, someone put my name forward for my shonky mk2 cavalier to be in a drama series. Based in the mid 80s.  Apparently it would be parked in the street. 

The terms were vague.  Someone would come and collect it, drive it to the film studios, return it 3 days later. Or I could take it and stay with it, on set for 2 days.  

How much is it worth ? You get your car in a TV series mate.

Before I had the chance to say no, they decided my car wasn't base enough. 

I was thinking you pay me £300 a day and provide accomodation.  Apparently not. 

Most freelance techs in the TV industry don't get paid that much...

Enjoyed catching up with this thread, great stuff. Reminded me of my 1994 T4 1.9 n/a, pretty gutless to be honest but i drove it down to South East Spain in 23 hours, a time I've only equalled. 

I chased the cosmetic rust on the front and rear arches for years. Would have been better to replace the front wings and rust proof them from the outset. Eventually had to have some welding done to the underside, after it had been an MOT advisory for about four years.

I did some mods on it, but the one that made the big difference to the driving pleasure was the 4 inch alloy gear lever extender (painted black it looked standard) so no more leaning forward to change gear. Not sure if your 2.5 has the short lever or not though.

2 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I've been approached by a Youtuber to make a video on the base and I'm struggling to think of a single reason it's a good idea. From what I gather - they borrow the car, drive the car, review the car, then get the Youtube revenue whilst I pay for the petrol and am supposed to be grateful.

I can't think of a polite way to say no, so will probably say nothing and hope that @Skizzercan do a Grand Thrift Auto on it later in the year.

Each to their own. Personally I'd be quite flattered if someone wanted to review my battered and shonky fleet. 🤣

Would be quite nice seeing my cars on (digital) film and someone else's view point on it. Admittedly none of them are probably of much interest to most YouTubers...

I guess as you work in the media industry, it's not much of a novelty to have that?

3 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I would absolutely love to do a film on it, and thanks for thinking of me. But I would much rather feature you and me talking about it and why it’s special, rather than just another road test. I don’t mind who drives.  I’d gladly spring for gas if that would help.