Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

On 1/5/2020 at 5:43 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

Sorry to hear about the Granvia, hope you get it sorted OK.

Have a D-reg Sierra Base postcard shot to cheer you up:

49333776671_054165d155_c.jpg

A27, Worthing old postcard late 1980s by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

It made it to 1988. I'd like to think that the couple raising their hands on the left are acknowledging their appreciation of it being a Base.

An update on the placard wavers protest.... They still haven't done anything with the roads, still shit

Good news first up - the little 500 TwinAir passed its MOT. Right on the wear markers for two tyres but the tester is very sensible about stuff. So, another ticket to ride. Now on 52k - O can’t remember what it was when we got it! 32k maybe?

Bad. Avensis exhaust is blowing. It’s on 258k and it’s all completely original. Sadly it’s puffing at the seal between the cat and the rear section. It’s categorically never going to come apart, so we’re going to try one fudge with a little bridging section. Failing that it’s an entire new system. I really want to avoid that because of the oem catalytic converters nearly always being superior. 

If I DO replace it - I’d like to go stainless. 1. They sound the bomb and 2. It’ll hopefully last forever.

Questions though please. 1. Who should I look at? I really only know about Powerflow. 2. If I go stainless, what are my cat options? I doubt it’d pass emissions without one (albeit it’s fairly clean and always tests well - I doubt there’s enough margin) and it’d evidently be missing. 

All help appreciated!

On 2/6/2020 at 6:58 AM, sierraman said:

Wouldn’t bother.

Not at all surprised. It’s a £200 heap I’ve spent £500 on this year. And I’m thinking about spending another few hundred. Whereas you’d have fucked it off!

I fancy something a bit louder! It’s got a spoiler and alloy wheels (sheep in wolf’s clothing) so might be the chance to make things fruity. 

Hopefully the bodge works for the time being tho... 

Lol I use to fit exhausts in a previous life and Bosal were fucking shit! They all were. Cheap pattern rubbish that only very vaguely matched what had come off.

Edit: I assume it looks a bit like this;

ImageHandler.ashx?id=ewAiAEkAcwBJAG4AdAB

Could you grind off the old car studs if they're that bad and nut n bolt a replacement short assembly* to it?

*centre and rear sections. That's an old Kwik Fit term I haven't used for 20 years!

Problem with stainless is the cost.

I was looking at getting a stainless tailpipe for the Lada made up as the correct ones are unobtainable these days - £300-400 per silencer seems to be the going rate around here, and about £150/metre for the pipework itself.  Around a grand for a normal system seems to be quite normal, if there's anything I usual or difficult about it that can rapidly skyrocket.

At least judging from my experiences recently around here the days of getting a stainless system for £500 are long gone.

If you want a bit more noise there are probably several aftermarket rear silencer options on eBay which could do the job without requiring the massive expense of having a bespoke system made.

5 hours ago, Kowalski said:

Yes but it's HIS car and HE wants to, regardless of what the masses might assume about an old car...

Hang on billy big bollocks. I’m saying a good quality system will last many years, a stainless system isn’t cheap and it’s not immune from problems, the baffles can still fail. 

24 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Hang on billy big bollocks. I’m saying a good quality system will last many years, a stainless system isn’t cheap and it’s not immune from problems, the baffles can still fail. 

Chill your tits, girls.  SierraMan will forever continue to scrap perfectly good, servicable cars and I'm fine with it.  Everyone can just calm it.  Mostly because I've fixed it with a sleeve - for £peanuts.

12 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Chill your tits, girls.  SierraMan will forever continue to scrap perfectly good, servicable cars and I'm fine with it.  Everyone can just calm it.  Mostly because I've fixed it with a sleeve - for £peanuts.

I chucked my 900 Turbo in the bin after the exhaust sheared off on the motorway outside Vienna. It was the final straw with the hateful POS. Paid a BMW breaker to take it off my hands and got a plane back to blighty. 

57 minutes ago, Rod/b said:

I chucked my 900 Turbo in the bin after the exhaust sheared off on the motorway outside Vienna. It was the final straw with the hateful POS. Paid a BMW breaker to take it off my hands and got a plane back to blighty. 

It meant nothing to you...

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Maybe I ought to have fitted a new clutch, tested it then continued to use it as a road going motor car.

Just another option, like. That is - after all - the general ethos of this particular corner of the web. ‘The maintenance and sustenance of unusual and/or undesirable cars.’

Still. Carry on man. Just don’t try and apply any logic to what happens on this particular thread. You’ll find yourself confused and disappointed. Xx

34 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Just another option, like. That is - after all - the general ethos of this particular corner of the web. ‘The maintenance and sustenance of unusual and/or undesirable cars.’

Still. Carry on man. Just don’t try and apply any logic to what happens on this particular thread. You’ll find yourself confused and disappointed. Xx

My initial reply was to see about getting a decent steel system as a stainless system is incredibly expensive, not saying scrap it due to needing a new exhaust. 

I run cars as bangers, buy them get a few years out of them then when major expense is on the horizon sack them off. I don’t bother trying to advertise old fucking nails trying to get £250 back for them, I’ve neither the time nor the patience for the usual idiots buying £250 cars, so when I’ve finished with them I scrap them - as you’ve duly noted.

Frankly I couldn’t care less if you’ve some sort of problem with this as it seems to have profoundly upset you that I do this, fortunately I don’t depend on your approval with what I spend my time and energy doing. 

13 minutes ago, sierraman said:

My initial reply was to see about getting a decent steel system as a stainless system is incredibly expensive, not saying scrap it due to needing a new exhaust. 

Frankly I couldn’t care less if you’ve some sort of problem with this as it seems to have profoundly upset you that I do this, fortunately I don’t depend on your approval with what I spend my time and energy doing. 

Reading isn’t your forte eh love?

F67C6CD0-AEC4-4CC2-8B43-C407ACB71B02.thumb.jpeg.00c6807bcaba5577267ba89b33c48646.jpeg

Now hopefully that’s a bit easier with the highlighting. 

Carry on. Do as you wish. You are as insignificant as the shit on my shoe. I don’t care! Hopefully, having said it a further three times we can all move on.

Good stuff. 

11 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Problem with stainless is the cost.

I was looking at getting a stainless tailpipe for the Lada made up as the correct ones are unobtainable these days - £300-400 per silencer seems to be the going rate around here, and about £150/metre for the pipework itself.  Around a grand for a normal system seems to be quite normal, if there's anything I usual or difficult about it that can rapidly skyrocket.

At least judging from my experiences recently around here the days of getting a stainless system for £500 are long gone.

You need a trip to Wales! Admittedly it was 5 years ago, but this with two silencers cost me £380.

Looking at their website the prices haven't gone up all that much, so you could get quite a decent weekend away with the savings!

https://www.hibexhausts.com/faq

Exhaust.jpg

7 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

You need a trip to Wales! Admittedly it was 5 years ago, but this with two silencers cost me £380.

Looking at their website the prices haven't gone up all that much, so you could get quite a decent weekend away with the savings!

https://www.hibexhausts.com/faq

Exhaust.jpg

Yes, that's Steve Hibbert, who supplied a system for the 635CSi. Cost about £360 inc. VAT in 2008. I daresay he'd probably create one for a CX as well if the car was left with him for a week or two....

It was couriered down here from Anglesey and a local workshop fitted it. The bass resonation really came into its own at around 1500rpm, being strong enough to set off car alarms as I drove past....

DSC00052.JPG

DSC00057.JPG

I had a stainless Powerflow system fitted to the Camry estate, they must have jointed it somewhere aft of the cat. On a car that hasn't been used much it was probably a good thing, with less propensity to rot away than a mild steel system would have done.

From memory it was around £440, fitted by Power & Performance just outside Norwich. I had them fit full systems onto a couple of older Datsun/Nissan stuff I had too, and if the Laurel ever needs one I'll do the same.

There is a slight issue with the Camry one, in that if I drive through water which splashes up onto the exhaust it cools something down, opens up a joint and makes a bit more noise. Once it dries out it quietens down again. Otherwise it's good and it has a slightly sportier note which is an amusing contrast to the rest of it....