BorniteIdentity

Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: Sierra bASe news. (14.07.1983)

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

The AA don't recover you if you've broken down, didn't you know that?  I didn't know that either until I broke down.

Can you expand on this please. I seem to remember something from the distant past, but can't recall exactly what dhappened.

Or didn't happen.

I have some sympathy with the AA in this instance.

You were not broken down.

They will come out and fit your spare if  you have a flat, but you needed  2.  Did you have a spare?

There is something in the terms and conditions about vehicle being kept in a roadworthy condition. They can refuse if it's not been serviced etc, but rarely do so.

37 minutes ago, Mally said:

I have some sympathy with the AA in this instance.

You were not broken down.

They will come out and fit your spare if  you have a flat, but you needed  2.  Did you have a spare?

There is something in the terms and conditions about vehicle being kept in a roadworthy condition. They can refuse if it's not been serviced etc, but rarely do so.

They didn’t seem to know what to say tbh. They first said “we don’t recover unroadworthy vehicles” which is simply not true. Plenty of cars they attend day in, day out are not ‘roadworthy’ - my last Mercedes 190 with an engine that had grenaded being one example. When I asked them to read the specific clause that excluded me from being collected - they could not. When I offered them a couple of other examples of me receiving attention whilst in an unroadworthy state they agreed to send someone. 

They then told the company they subbed it to that I had two punctures and two spares on board which even I found funny. Who carries two spares? The second company were good on the phone but in reality they didn’t show for four hours. They freely admitted that they took another job whilst en-route to me and I can only assume that was because it was a nice earner (she said assisting police with an A14 collision and it needed to go to their yard) and then the driver’s tracker mysteriously went off. 

I’m a bit disillusioned with it all. Obviously stuff goes wrong, I’m not stupid. But the fact I really had to argue with them - something my wife wouldn’t have done - leaves a bad taste. The shitty service I sort of expect, but not unequal and unfair treatment. 

I will in all likelihood just revert to the cover on my bank account and not venture too far in the old heaps until I’ve every confidence in their condition and when I’m not starting work at 5am the next morning!

2 hours ago, Mally said:

I do actually have 2 brand new spares on our trailer, because they will tow a trailer, but not recover a broken trailer.

They must have changed their policy then - when I had two trailer tyres blow out on the same collection mission back in 2008, they picked the trailer up on a flatbed and took it to a tyre place for me.  And this in spite of the fact that the trailer may* have been slightly* overloaded.

Image050.jpg.45015a2f7d3305b0a449324944c0c756.jpg

7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

one could argue he was, they where fresh tires that suddenly went bald in 400 miles

id consider that something broken with the car :) (in this case the tracking)

I'm inclined to agree in that it is a fault with the car which has rendered it undrivable in a short space of time rather than long term neglect of tyres and is therefore broken down. Good luck trying to convince the AA of that though...

Whilst you have the wheels off, 4 new ball joints 2 track rod ends and 2 new knuckle joints.  The last mini I owned seemed to need all of them more often than brake pads despite aerospace* spec grease in my grease gun. 

Everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) that needed changing was changed when we recommissioned the car.  The TRE's are newer than a new thing - that is, in all likelihood, what caused the problem.

As for the tyres, the AA would struggle to argue the tyres are old because, fortunately, the datecode on them is from the end of last year.  I can't be arsed to argue with them though, they listen better when you say goodbye to them.

12 hours ago, wuvvum said:

They must have changed their policy then - when I had two trailer tyres blow out on the same collection mission back in 2008, they picked the trailer up on a flatbed and took it to a tyre place for me.  And this in spite of the fact that the trailer may* have been slightly* overloaded.

Image050.jpg.45015a2f7d3305b0a449324944c0c756.jpg

My bad, seems you are correct.

Maybe I made it up in my head, but I'm sure it used to say, will only recover a tow able trailer.

I used to work for The AA...

They are  cunts. On a monumental scale! They treated everyone like shit be it customers or their own staff. Mind you, I expect that’s normal for any business in this cuntry these days.

Love the pic of the Mini parked between those two modern abortions btw!

Good to see you, briefly, last week Dan, I had been talking to James before and said your car would be good for the magazine, he said he had been chatting to you via twitter but had never met you so I ushered him in your direction.

I see the large recovery truck turn up at 10pm but didn't know about your tyres issues at the time so wondered what he was doing.

Mally:  warped brake disc on the Princess.  Not a breakdown.  Double not a breakdown when you do it outside a garage that is closed because you're now at a place of repair.  They didn't care about losing me as a customer, particularly, they'd got their money's worth out of me since the only time they ever recovered me was when the head gasket went on the Princess some years ago and their first suggestion for that was to put K-seal in, even though the water came out the exhaust as fast as you poured it into the cooling system.

14th July today. Happy Birthday to this old relic. 

8EEA1CE6-FFC3-41BE-81BA-8C3123B5D4F3.thumb.jpeg.e0ab4f1ba5813dc2f47612a8b6c323e2.jpeg

Quite unbelievably it’s 36 today - same age as me.

Today’s also the day that I finally accepted that the old lady needs a new home. 

When I lost my job last month, I was very fortunate to walk straight into further work. Unfortunately there is a slight pay gap - and I have another contract which will fall off in the next 6 weeks. The grim, crippling reality is - between now and me being able to fix it - there will be a million and one different demands on my time and money. I’m not willing to be custodian who watches over this car’s deterioration. 

So I’m starting to have conversations with the appropriate people and hope that this will be the beginning of happier times for the bASe. It’s been really hard to reach this point, and I could just keep kidding myself that I’ll get it done eventually. The car will be forever linked with happier times. But for the good of everyone, it needs a new home. I don’t have the money, the time or the talent. It hurts to say that, but it’s only the truth. 

I will keep you all updated. 

Liked for the Sierra's birthday aspect rather than your work situation and conclusions on keepership; it's a hard decision to have to make, so kudos to you for having made it.

That red paintwork is looking gloriously shiny!