Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

10 hours ago, EspenO said:

Could that be on british built cars only? I’m pretty sure my (german built) 1983 Sierra 2,0 L had non-dangly mirrors.

It's on British cars for the 1983 model year only.  From late 1983 the dangly mirrors were base model only until the 1987 facelift when they disappeared entirely. 

18 hours ago, adw1977 said:

The mirrors certainly aren't original because they would have been grey.

Whether it had dangly mirrors originally depends on the trim level.  Body colour slatted grille (if original) makes it an L (dangly mirrors) or GL (non-dangly mirrors).

It is an L-spec. So yeah, dangly mirrors would have been fitted. 

The RAV has been with me for a year now and has been absolutely bloody perfect. Including two new premium tyres, two home services, an MOT and a couple of advisories being taken care of - I think the total costs for last year came in around £600. Not bad for 23,000 miles of motoring and a £1500 purchase price. 

Took it to my folks today where Bornite Senior and Junior teamed up to wash it.

The equivalent photo would have been me in 1990 washing something like an Austin A40 Farina. These are such different times, and this just highlights how far the motor car has come in such a short time. 

RNI-Films-IMG-245F2985-DDD8-432B-B624-F1F2AEA18E34.thumb.jpeg.1ef7fd03b5ec6739b66df690e3af26f3.jpeg

168,700 miles (Not Out)

2 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

The RAV has been with me for a year now and has been absolutely bloody perfect. Including two new premium tyres, two home services, an MOT and a couple of advisories being taken care of - I think the total costs for last year came in around £600. Not bad for 23,000 miles of motoring and a £1500 purchase price. 

Took it to my folks today where Bornite Senior and Junior teamed up to wash it.

The equivalent photo would have been me in 1990 washing something like an Austin A40 Farina. These are such different times, and this just highlights how far the motor car has come in such a short time. 

RNI-Films-IMG-245F2985-DDD8-432B-B624-F1F2AEA18E34.thumb.jpeg.1ef7fd03b5ec6739b66df690e3af26f3.jpeg

168,700 miles (Not Out)

He looks excessively pleased about using the hose!

• 2 weeks later...

Quite the morning!  I had a client meeting in Ely which is always a pleasant jolly.  Once completed, I decided to take a middle-class deviation to Waitrose for a Bear Claw pastry and orange juice following a productive appointment.

Then, I spotted something out of the corner of my eye.  I was so excited, I abandoned my car in a bus stop and forgot to put my handbrake on in a fluster! 

image.thumb.png.c5b12ba6139f394d78b9193970addc2e.png

image.thumb.png.86b9608b0a589c2a53e9594dbc396dcf.png

Communications were sent to @Skizzerand @Cheggers, with whom - via Whatsapp - we share our love of the unloved.

image.thumb.png.56464b2a7940aca14bc7cf8737b0c798.png

Things then took a very quick change of direction as I pulled into Waitrose

image.png.3ecd9ee176f8125605a7be49dd4e5396.png

This is the best thing I've spotted in years. Actual years.  A Pre-facelift MK2 Granada 2.3 L in full 'Euston Films/Minder' condition and spec.  Just. Simply. Amazing.

image.thumb.png.bd4f67de67fe8f79b9cf0ffa809b6cb3.png

image.thumb.png.8c796f4b286d3f6a567e9b3c39da8c2b.png

These still look so bloody good.  I wanted it, there and then.  

image.thumb.png.3f31714bb2f653daa83e48420363b196.png

I've had to come home for a sweet cup of tea and a lie down.  

PS - this is a maximum 2 hour car park, so it's definitely being used.  Fair play to them too.

• BorniteIdentity changed the title to Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

Wowzers! Two fantastic spots there!

That Granada though is utterly incredible. Not seen one like that in a very long time. 
It’s not only done so well to survive, but dodging the banger boys and remaining as it was built is fantastic, and… it’s a bloody early mk2 as well!

I love the mk2 Granny, definitely one of Fords absolute highs.

Honestly, it was the best morning I've had in ages.  It completely erased the disappointment of there being NO bear claw pastries in Waitrose (and - for those who don't know me - food is life).  

There are a couple of 70s/80s cars that I still wish to own.  One is a pre-facelift MK2 Granada in low spec like this.  Another is a Saab 900i.  Finally, a MK4 Cortina.  Unfortunately, none of these are a weeks' pay anymore - but still, it's nice to dream!

The first car I remember my Grandad owning is an S-reg Granada L in beige.  I think that was a 2.0 though rather than a 2.3.  If memory serves he bought it for £10 in a bankruptcy sale - it would only have been about 4 years old at the time.

Spring has sprung, so it was time to awaken the Sierra from its slumber.  The usual challenges were awaiting; Petrol runs back into the tank after a few days and - on the basis it's been parked for a couple of months - many crankings were to be required.  This necessitated hooking up my mains powered charger, enabling BOOST function and giving 10 minutes before a bit of serious crankin' (no g). It started with relative ease once fuel reached the carb, settled quickly and within 5 minutes we were out and off.

IMG_0743.thumb.jpeg.a18376e09d51d3213ade2666a66dcd3c.jpeg

Things have deteriorated with all four doors.  The two offsides will be replaced, but I'm hoping the nearsides can be wobbed and painted.  Initially, my plan was to just red oxide the doors and just let the whole car age gracefully.  However, these two offside doors are half the wrong colour and will need to be sprayed to avoid looking cunty, so it might as well have four doors in the right colour.

It will go to 'the man' just as soon as the Mini is back. I cornered him earlier and, quelle surprise, he's not started it yet.  Monday he says.  I will doorstep him again next week "just to see how you're getting on" and keep up the pressure.  I understand he's busy, but would just prefer people to say "Mate - I can't take this on" than "yeah yeah no worries".  I think he already regrets saying yes tbh, but hopefully he'll see it through.

• 3 weeks later...

Eight years ago today this turd landed at mine. Tomorrow I will apply for historic tax and, judging by the complete lack of progress on the Mini, proceed to use it over the next few months. 

20160403_175223_Original.jpeg.e8610e59f74bc53b27930cf75ca13d3d.jpeg

Both the other cars in this photo since sold and scrapped, the house SSTC and and my lovely friend Emma has moved onto a better place. Then again she lived in Hemel, so a move to Strangeways would have been a positive move. 

Happy bASe day, fellow motorist.