Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

Guest Hooli

That looks fantastic, with a properly simple interior that does everything you need & nothing you don't.

That looks fantastic, with a properly simple interior that does everything you need & nothing you don't.

The interior really is the best thing about the car, the cabin really is 9/10. With a toothbrush and a shampoo it'd be perfect.

The fading red paintwork is going to take more effort.e834258358a64f0fce8c009d2b7f7f29.jpge429eb84cd8e4615c45d660a39958219.jpg5aea01860838066f67c0ab5b6933eca5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That is weapons-grade shite-tastic! FATHA had a couple of 940's about 7 years ago and they were really nice motors, and this one looks a peach!

Stoner guy needs to be shot for losing the keys, and for contemplating to 'scene' the poor old girl.

Seems also the 'H3 ADF' plate has been on it since 1992, the original reg is H612 EJU.

The new online system for DVLA is, frankly, a revolution. It's actually so fast that I can't get nice plates made fast enough.

Anyway, can anyone give me a guide as to what I should ask for this?

3 owners. 110k. 12 months MOT. As good as it looks.fe7055d5cc70e14b4746210352eb5623.jpgf9fba624e05fc5c7acc150d3f59c67ac.jpg61cc8c7c015ed50dd6a6299d150015f4.jpg0297aa8e6f1fba60d298805fa96f6546.jpg

My value was based on what was going to get you to around breakeven and in effect a free number plate that you really wanted.

No harm it pricing it nearer Felly's price, and you might get it, but could take a bit longer...

Someone's just listed a very good comparable on C&C.  H reg, 120k, bit rougher than mine and asking £2500.

I'm going to ruin his market and list mine up at £2375.  On the one hand I look at it and think "It's a lovely, lovely car - it ought to be worth proper money".  Then, on the other, I think "Well I'd struggle to give more than £1000 for one" (!)

I'll give it a week or so before listing it on eBay for 99p.

Thanks so much for all of your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Third MOT of the month, and a third straight failure. I've come to the conclusion that I'mma have to swallow my pride when it comes to fails/advisories with a larger fleet. (I used to take even the slightest advisory as a very personal attack on my ability as a guardian of a car!).

The little yellow Pug has failed on the handbrake (I was hoping there'd be someone to take a look before the test) a bulb which worked fine last week and that's it.

The calliper is seized hard, so a new one is going on tomorrow before a pass is granted.

Did a brim to brim test and it's averaging 46mpg - amazing for a 2.0 pez burner. I guess the 'sans roof' cars are always going to do well, but I'm very pleased. Have you seen the engines in these? They're very small, very cheerful little things and are pleasant to work on in the 306 because of the space.

Retest tomorrow.

1696de900bb4b6a67fb2fc655e521571.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well - good news and bad.

The Volvo 240 is sold at asking price.  A younger lad is coming from Gloucester to pick it up on Monday.  Bless him, he's obviously never bought a car blind before - so I didn't bother telling him about this place.  I sent 3 minutes of HD video, about 30 pictures and anything else he asked for - so he ought to be able to identify it in a line up of other 1990 H registered Volvo 240 saloons in red!

Bad news, every fucking fear I ever fucking had about french fucking cars has come to fucking fruition.  Fucksticks.  The cabrio roof of my 306 has got its knickers in a twist,  It's not fucked, but it will not move electronically.  It was happily retracting the other day when I turned the key one step too far to get the radio on - and it stopped.  That was it.  I carried on retracting it manually (which is apparently supposed to help it reset) but can not for the fucking life of me get the fucking stowage compartment to shut.  There's a way of twisting it closed with the wheel brace, but it just fucking turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns and turns.  Nothing.

So I can drive with the roof in place (Gr9 for 28 degrees) or with it retracted but with the storage compartment open.  Which will (and does) flip right up at speed meaning you look even more of a cock than you already should driving a bright fucking yellow hairdressers car.

I'll level with you, I've precious little time spare at the moment anyway (stupid 70 hour weeks) - and the cars were supposed to be fun and a bit of an escape.  It's not working, and all I want to do is give this banana the kicking of its life.  Even though it was my fault.

If anyone wants to watch me giving a 306 a proper "Basil Fawltying"  - then it'll probably kick off about Midday.

Looks like I've got this fixed.

There was absolutely no way of getting the roof storage compartment to close manually at all.  Leaning on it did nothing.  This meant that the roof would not hydraulically close because it thought the compartment was open (and I guess it thought "danger of bork - do not proceed").  I got a chum at work to lean on the compartment in case there was some kind of sensor, and this did trick the roof and it began to close.  However, it wouldn't lift the very rear of the roof so the compartment lid would swing open.  Last resort - pull the negative lead of the battery for 30 minutes and I went back to it.  The roof was still down at this stage, with the compartment ajar.  Nothing.  Thought "fuck it" and drove home trying to guess how much Peugeot's labour is per hour.  Once back, did a full manual close and open - flicked the switch and boom! Success.

TL:DR - pulled the battery, manually closed and opened it - fixed.

I am probably going to leave the roof open for the entire summer and just park in the garage.  

Remove it completely for an extra 30bhp

This was actually the next plan. The guy over the road has a little MG sans roof, so I'd be happy enough to operate similarly. I still think the compartment wouldn't have shut though, so it'd have been LOLbonnetstraps or something similar!

You know how it goes - two steps forward, two steps back.

Volvo sold for £2000 yesterday to the perfect buyer. Everyone happy.

Called up to collect the Sierra and I've been evicted. The owners apparently need it back. I have a theory that another neighbour has offered him more money. He was very sheepish, but I wasn't in the mood for discussion. Said I'd collect it today and not take it back to him.

So it's a quick bath before we check out a barn in the next village.85e4b316f487eed0fc1a8165de965ab0.jpg