Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

Multipla:

Not great news from the Man at the Ministry.  

image.thumb.png.c0f3f851877a1105ca00992cd8b42fc9.png

The tester is always very honest and says "It is viable" but I've not yet seen it.  He will stick it up on a ramp when I go to collect it.

Bit of a pisser TBH, but I'm not getting involved.  The "new me" is more ruthless and less sentimental, especially with cars I've only had 5 weeks!  We will, in all likelihood, seek out a really good one and pay top money if necessary.

It's going to go on eBay as "Spares/Repairs" with the detailed pictures and the fail sheet.  If anyone's keen to take it on then great, but I'm not expecting that to happen.  If Ebay fails then it's on the scales.

• BorniteIdentity changed the title to Bornite's Memoirs - MOT FAIL :(

Really sorry to hear that Dan.  I certainly didn't spot anything with the front subframe, but then I don't suppose I had reason to look that closely - the bits I was more concerned with and highlighted to you haven't even warranted an advisory!  Suspension arms are cheap and not too difficult to replace; I've done both on Craig the Princess's in the last few years.

1 minute ago, BeEP said:

Really sorry to hear that Dan.  I certainly didn't spot anything with the front subframe, but then I don't suppose I had reason to look that closely - the bits I was more concerned with and highlighted to you haven't even warranted an advisory!  Suspension arms are cheap and not too difficult to replace; I've done both on Craig the Princess's in the last few years.

No hard feelings.  I've had so many good results with short MOTs over the years that I barely think about it any more.  I don't even bother getting dirty looking underneath cheap and old cars any more - the test will always tell me what I need to know.

I'm going up to fetch it in a bit and will get a load of photos.  If anyone here fancies taking it on then speak up and we can sort a price.  There's a lot going for it (decent belts, new battery, strong engine)

Wait and see what your man says. My old 172 needed a new subframe and lower arms last year and as the whole lot could just be binned and replaced, no buggering about with suspension bushes. It wasn't too much of a ballache (so I believe) but then again there is very little attached to a Clio subframe, engine and steering rack are held on by other things, so the Multipla may be different.

Reading higher up, you're looking at replacing the Sierra petrol tank.  I did one a few years back and it corroded totally very quickly.  The pattern tanks are uncoated on the inside and perhaps due to modern petrol, last no time at all.  I suggest if you do fit one, use an internal coating - the type of stuff intended for rusty tanks on a tank that isn't rusty - yet.  I have read that those coatings don't stick that well to rusty tanks, but hopefully they will stick to a clean new one.  I'm clearing out my Sierra parts on ebay and if you need anything let me know - only small stuff left now.  Good luck with it.  

CLIO

Well - my 100% record continues!

image.thumb.png.e766586aeaf0c813262a7a63a86e58b2.png

I knew about the exhaust - it sounds fruity AF at the moment so the first two don't count.  It was fine when I picked up the car but being thrown into proper service straight away has caused it to declare.  No hard feelings.  

Brake pipes?  Again, not surprising at 25 years old - and it's one of those jobs you do once and well.  Both sides will get done.

Steering Rack?  The steering is very light at speed but the tester said the play is very slight, but can't quite work out what's wrong as it's all in a sleeve.  I'll leave this alone for now.

Shouldn't be more than an hours labour, some copper pipe and a bit of exhaust.

Then I'll likely prep it for sale in spring.

19 hours ago, sierraman said:

Just scrap the fucker, it’s really not worth the time advertising cars like that at a few hundred quid and having to deal with people that sound like they’ve got a mouth full of sausages. 

£120 on the scales - £178 Car Take Back - £250 from the man called Mick from Cheshunt who wants a Lockdown project!

My perfect record of never scrapping a car remains in tact!

What a delightful bloke.  Nipped up straight away to fetch it, paid in the folding variety, talked shit cars for 10 minutes and then drove off*

See?  Not all transactions outside of AS are a nightmare! 

*Once I'd walked back out to show him where the handbrake was!

24 minutes ago, mk2_craig said:

Great news Bornite!! Are floppy steering racks a common Renner thing then? I still haven’t rebuilt the one on my Renner 19 that’s probably one bad pothole away from failing completely. 

I don't know actually!  It's beautifully light but becomes progressively better as you go into sharper turns.  I'll live with it until such time that I decide to keep it indefinitely or sell it.

Happy Birthday to this little lady - 25 years old this weekend.  How is that even possible?  I know it's a cliche, and all too glibly said, but genuinely.  How are these things over 30 years old now?  What happened?!

IMG_6676.thumb.jpeg.60ac96332567b0c4d934dc97c51d2339.jpeg

This is also my only roadgoing, viable conveyance at the moment.  A 25 year old Renault with questionable timing belt integrity.  Couldn't be happier.