BorniteIdentity

Bornite's Memoirs - Smashed Sierra 😡

On 3/14/2020 at 6:15 PM, BorniteIdentity said:

Wife’s 500 Twin Air has gone on strike. Limp mode engaged, EML on. It smelt a bit burny as she hobbled up the road. I “ignition cycled” and it was fine for a minute and then stopped revving past 3500 rpm. 

Strangely, my Toyota has never done any of this in its 260,000 miles and 20 years on earth. Neither has the emergency “supply” Corolla.

Let’s hope it’s not a good bumming I’m in for here... 

Almost certain this is a coil pack, it’s a known issue in the Twinair (by which I mean everyone except your local Fiat dealer will have heard about it)

4 hours ago, sierraman said:

Not bonded I think

I'm afraid they are bonded sierraman,

The Sierra was one of the first Ford's  in the UK to get bonded glass, front, rear and 1/4 glasses,

if you go down the second hand route it has to be from a Mk1 Sierra as the Mk2 is different,  

Glass code Mk1 HT 800                                              Mk2 HT 924

The most annoying part will be the outer two part trim, the chrome insert becomes very brittle and is not available anymore,  I would think even old new stock would have issues due to age, only fitted to the Mk1's as the Mk2 had a solid all black rubber trim,  I would see if you can buy a one peice trim before the screen is replaced, also worth noting is the inner rear screen trim will most likely split a lot when trying to remove (age) so get one of those too,  maybe explain this to whomever you get to do the work, although unless you find a sympathetic company they will probably think you are nuts "It's just an old Sierra"

I worked at a lovely Windscreens company out in the countryside many moons ago, the yard was covered in pea shingle, I learnt that pea shingle was the best thing ever to break toughened glass,  we would often end up with second hand glass that was no good, so off into the skip gently pick up a couple of bits of pea shingle and bang the window was gone, just alot of worthless diamonds lol, 

Accidents happen,  I'm sure the insurance will be fine to cover it as it was an accident 

Good point about the trims. I had the windscreen replaced while I had it and the fitter couldn’t supply the original style trim but brought with him a Mk2 trim. He gave me the option of reusing the original (which was pretty knackered to be fair) or fit the later style trim which is what I went for. He had a bit of a battle to get the original bonded screen out but made a nice job of it. He said he does a lot of Cossies so keeps the Mk1 screens in stock! Presumably he has rears too as they are the same.

I wouldn’t fuck about with a bonded screen, it’s a job for the pros. This is the chap I used. He’s very friendly and helpful and fitted screens on early 1980s cars when they were new so loves working on the old stuff. He is mobile.

https://discountwindscreensessex.co.uk/

I know its a modern* but the rear screen on the Picasso was bonded that I broke through sheer stupidity ( "the boot lid WILL shut if I slam it hard against all the crap thats in there....oh") and Autoglas replaced it on the insurance for £75 took them all of 20 minutes to clear the old bonded crud off and bond in a new one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-SIERRA-MK1-XR4i-3-DOOR-TAILGATE-BOOT-LID-WHITE/372753158890?hash=item56c9d1d2ea:g:IfYAAOSwfuddaR3b5CAE65A7-6298-49CB-9BCC-3A0115B79AE6.thumb.jpeg.edb39241b845c0dc7b6f00bc469d7e6e.jpeg

OK , so you’d need a rattle can of red and in this particular case some filler because it’s an XR4i one, but £50 and 20 minutes work...

On 3/10/2020 at 3:06 PM, sierraman said:

Saw this little beauty last year in rural Somerset, it was really nice because it was so standard like Minis used to be when they were everywhere, none of the chrome crap bling you get on old minis. 

FD5F4B74-0623-414F-98A2-4975BF6ABA6F.jpeg

Somerset reg so in 1982; Vincents of Yeovil was the biggest one, Osmonds garage in Curry Rivel the smallest. The rural car dealerships were ace, now long gone.

Gordon Bennett.

Auto Windscreens all booked in for today to do the rear screen on the bASe.  Called this morning just to make sure they're still fitting and - despite AutoGlass being shut - they are.  Great news.  

Guy calls me asking me to leave the keys in the car - he'll phone when he arrives and shout when he leaves.  The perfect system for us miserable bastards. 

Only, having been asked twice to bring clear glass, he arrives with Bronze.  

It looked absolutely belting.  Completely wrong for the car, but what a sexy hue.

He's gone back with it.  They can't get clear apparently, so refund on the way.

Back now foraging for a clear rear windscreen which none of his four suppliers can get.  

Had a similar situation with a screen in one of my Dolomites. As it was a Sprint it should have had the tinted screen but they came 3 times with a clear. 

On the the third visit, they fitted the clear for me until they could source the right one so at least I could get the car MOT'd. 

Took about 6 months until somebody did a batch of the correct windscreens which I found out about. I bought the new screen myself and they came out and fitted it and my insurance paid me back for the glass. Only had to pay the excess of £50. 

3 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Gordon Bennett.

Auto Windscreens all booked in for today to do the rear screen on the bASe.  Called this morning just to make sure they're still fitting and - despite AutoGlass being shut - they are.  Great news.  

Guy calls me asking me to leave the keys in the car - he'll phone when he arrives and shout when he leaves.  The perfect system for us miserable bastards. 

Only, having been asked twice to bring clear glass, he arrives with Bronze.  

It looked absolutely belting.  Completely wrong for the car, but what a sexy hue.

He's gone back with it.  They can't get clear apparently, so refund on the way.

Back now foraging for a clear rear windscreen which none of his four suppliers can get.  

Did you try discount windscreens?

12 minutes ago, trigger said:

Did you not try Anton Martin at AS car Dismantlers? He said he had one and he's only up near Newmarket? 

He was my next stop but my man reckons he’s got a lead on a NOS triplex about 8 miles away. Will know tomorrow am but thoughts and prayers pls! 

25 minutes ago, Matty said:

🙏 (they don't do a praying hands emojji yet)

FTFY :)

if you type : then start typing out the word or thing you want an emoji for the forum software will bring up a list matching the word/letters your typing :) 

(although amusingly while the forum software calls it pray, officially its also a high five emoji LOL this one on the right being an actual unicode character rather then an inserted image like the one above 🙏

2 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

He can get bronze only.

when you say bronze is that like a  bronze tint or does it refer to some other property of the screen?

I dont think I have seen a bronze rear window before, at least not knowingly! so im curious if anyone has an example they could post

but where im really going with all of this, if it is a tint or covering, I wonder if it can be removed in someway to make your own clear glass? :) 

On 3/18/2020 at 5:25 PM, sierraman said:

Fuck it scrap it. 😂

No seriously fitting another screen isn’t a bad job on those. Not bonded I think. Worst bit of it is getting the screen despatched to you in one piece. 

Bonded rear glass

1 hour ago, lisbon_road said:

You could get the ebay tailgate and take the window out.  

Not that any of this is possible at the moment, but plans can be made for then they are possible.  Great car, good luck.

1 hour ago, lisbon_road said:

You could get the ebay tailgate and take the window out.  

Not that any of this is possible at the moment, but plans can be made for then they are possible.  Great car, good luck.

The one I posted is out of an XR4i, so will be bronze!

Reminds me of when some student scrote did the rear window in on a Sierra Ghia that was used as a training car at my college years ago. Could have almost cried as I was rather attached to the old girl and to see it like that was pretty heartbreaking. They had to replace the whole tailgate because it was a bonded unit. I tried to even get the old tailgate home as they said I could take it but there was really sod all I could do with it. I did take the badges off it though!

Here she is with her ‘new’ tailgate.

1979348C-F260-4EB5-8805-7C28C75E9CDD.jpeg.b21862ee05795c9c79319e57b38dd0ca.jpeg

The guy 10 miles away has a NOS rear screen for a sapphire. Arse. 

I’ve left the car in the garage and will untax from the end of the month. No point paying out for something that I can’t use and shouldn’t use even if I could use. 

Fuck it. 

4 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

The guy 10 miles away has a NOS rear screen for a sapphire. Arse. 

I’ve left the car in the garage and will untax from the end of the month. No point paying out for something that I can’t use and shouldn’t use even if I could use. 

Fuck it. 

Don’t give up on her buddy. She’s still a beautiful machine, smashed window or not.