Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

10 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

If you hadn't just announced it on a public website you could probably of got it through your insurance...  Would it be covered for yobbo fkwit malicious damage. Maybe even accidental damage ?

Not interested in misleading insurance companies - it’s my fault, the buck stops with me. Who knows - maybe it’ll become a thing. 

1 minute ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Not interested in misleading insurance companies - it’s my fault, the buck stops with me. Who knows - maybe it’ll become a thing. 

To be fair, I think a broken screen is covered unless it's deliberate. 

Sorry to hear of the broken screen

but im "glad" its only that! when I read the title I got worried that you/the Sierra had been involved in an accident/crash

so im glad to read thats not the case!

I wonder if it shattered from such a small stone because of the same reason the ceramic from spark plugs can smash screens?

I recall being baffled in about 1995 when my dad's Sierra company car rear screen went from absolutely fine to shattered into tiny pieces only barely held together (like pic #1) overnight one night.

This was in the middle of nowhere down a track in rural Suffolk, so extremely unlikely to have been vandals. It was all intact - but collapsed under even the slightest touch and in miniscule 3mm square pieces. Never happened again.

I'd have been about 9 or 10?

Shit luck but to be honest I would expect nothing less of sods law.

Should be easy enough to find a replacement though. Post a wanted ad on a banger forum? You know there is a Sierra only non contact series called lightening rods?  Well, they won't be needing the rear windows

On 3/14/2020 at 6:15 PM, BorniteIdentity said:

Wife’s 500 Twin Air has gone on strike. Limp mode engaged, EML on. It smelt a bit burny as she hobbled up the road. I “ignition cycled” and it was fine for a minute and then stopped revving past 3500 rpm. 

Strangely, my Toyota has never done any of this in its 260,000 miles and 20 years on earth. Neither has the emergency “supply” Corolla.

Let’s hope it’s not a good bumming I’m in for here... 

Almost certain this is a coil pack, it’s a known issue in the Twinair (by which I mean everyone except your local Fiat dealer will have heard about it)

4 hours ago, sierraman said:

Not bonded I think

I'm afraid they are bonded sierraman,

The Sierra was one of the first Ford's  in the UK to get bonded glass, front, rear and 1/4 glasses,

if you go down the second hand route it has to be from a Mk1 Sierra as the Mk2 is different,  

Glass code Mk1 HT 800                                              Mk2 HT 924

The most annoying part will be the outer two part trim, the chrome insert becomes very brittle and is not available anymore,  I would think even old new stock would have issues due to age, only fitted to the Mk1's as the Mk2 had a solid all black rubber trim,  I would see if you can buy a one peice trim before the screen is replaced, also worth noting is the inner rear screen trim will most likely split a lot when trying to remove (age) so get one of those too,  maybe explain this to whomever you get to do the work, although unless you find a sympathetic company they will probably think you are nuts "It's just an old Sierra"

I worked at a lovely Windscreens company out in the countryside many moons ago, the yard was covered in pea shingle, I learnt that pea shingle was the best thing ever to break toughened glass,  we would often end up with second hand glass that was no good, so off into the skip gently pick up a couple of bits of pea shingle and bang the window was gone, just alot of worthless diamonds lol, 

Accidents happen,  I'm sure the insurance will be fine to cover it as it was an accident 

Good point about the trims. I had the windscreen replaced while I had it and the fitter couldn’t supply the original style trim but brought with him a Mk2 trim. He gave me the option of reusing the original (which was pretty knackered to be fair) or fit the later style trim which is what I went for. He had a bit of a battle to get the original bonded screen out but made a nice job of it. He said he does a lot of Cossies so keeps the Mk1 screens in stock! Presumably he has rears too as they are the same.

I wouldn’t fuck about with a bonded screen, it’s a job for the pros. This is the chap I used. He’s very friendly and helpful and fitted screens on early 1980s cars when they were new so loves working on the old stuff. He is mobile.

https://discountwindscreensessex.co.uk/

I know its a modern* but the rear screen on the Picasso was bonded that I broke through sheer stupidity ( "the boot lid WILL shut if I slam it hard against all the crap thats in there....oh") and Autoglas replaced it on the insurance for £75 took them all of 20 minutes to clear the old bonded crud off and bond in a new one.

Gordon Bennett.

Auto Windscreens all booked in for today to do the rear screen on the bASe.  Called this morning just to make sure they're still fitting and - despite AutoGlass being shut - they are.  Great news.  

Guy calls me asking me to leave the keys in the car - he'll phone when he arrives and shout when he leaves.  The perfect system for us miserable bastards. 

Only, having been asked twice to bring clear glass, he arrives with Bronze.  

It looked absolutely belting.  Completely wrong for the car, but what a sexy hue.

He's gone back with it.  They can't get clear apparently, so refund on the way.

Back now foraging for a clear rear windscreen which none of his four suppliers can get.  

Had a similar situation with a screen in one of my Dolomites. As it was a Sprint it should have had the tinted screen but they came 3 times with a clear. 

On the the third visit, they fitted the clear for me until they could source the right one so at least I could get the car MOT'd. 

Took about 6 months until somebody did a batch of the correct windscreens which I found out about. I bought the new screen myself and they came out and fitted it and my insurance paid me back for the glass. Only had to pay the excess of £50. 

3 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Gordon Bennett.

Auto Windscreens all booked in for today to do the rear screen on the bASe.  Called this morning just to make sure they're still fitting and - despite AutoGlass being shut - they are.  Great news.  

Guy calls me asking me to leave the keys in the car - he'll phone when he arrives and shout when he leaves.  The perfect system for us miserable bastards. 

Only, having been asked twice to bring clear glass, he arrives with Bronze.  

It looked absolutely belting.  Completely wrong for the car, but what a sexy hue.

He's gone back with it.  They can't get clear apparently, so refund on the way.

Back now foraging for a clear rear windscreen which none of his four suppliers can get.  

Did you try discount windscreens?

12 minutes ago, trigger said:

Did you not try Anton Martin at AS car Dismantlers? He said he had one and he's only up near Newmarket? 

He was my next stop but my man reckons he’s got a lead on a NOS triplex about 8 miles away. Will know tomorrow am but thoughts and prayers pls!