Jump to content
BorniteIdentity

Bornite's Memoirs - Sierra Progress

Recommended Posts

Has anyone slung a fiver at DVLA to get a history of owners done on the Sierra???

or has it already been done - and I've missed it???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 4:29 PM, LightBulbFun said:

 I have run about 1500 cars well mostly invalid vehicles :) , so it works very well for me!

I don't suppose I could be cheeky and ask of you could run my Marina for me please? It was off the road from 1981 until I bought it and I don't really know much about its history. I think it may have changed keeper in the late 70s but I really don't know. 

The reg is PEB762R. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, trigger said:

I don't suppose I could be cheeky and ask of you could run my Marina for me please? It was off the road from 1981 until I bought it and I don't really know much about its history. I think it may have changed keeper in the late 70s but I really don't know. 

The reg is PEB762R. Thanks. 

sure no Problem :) sadly the keeper change date history is a bit patchy, I wonder what the 3rd (4th and 5th) keeper change was about if it was off the road since 1981

image.png.dbcc91ff8e92815c8b106070ab2527a1.png

im not sure why some date have dates and others dont, for example John the keeper of REV between 2000-2019 is not listed, but the 2nd keeper (Dennis webb) is listed, he had it between 1985-2000, and of course im the 4th keeper :) 

image.png.28eda4b6490f1181e8a4207f8129bb5c.png

maybe it was just down to how whoever handled the keeper change on the DVLA/DVLC end at the time entered the data into the computer?

(its worth noting the tool just puts the date of first registration for the first keeper)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for doing that, that would explain why I'm listed as a the 6th keeper on the V5 then, annoyingly as I bought it after the GDPR changes I don't even have the last keepers details on the current V5. 

I suspect the 2nd keeper is the one who took it off the road in 1981 and its then been transferred to either other family members or the family have moved address but the cars stayed in the same council lock up so each time they have updated the logbook it's shown as a new keeper, sadly the V5 was missing when I bought it so I'll never know now the fully story behind it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Base 3-door 1300 on a Suffolk 'DX' plate here:

IPSOCScan-3119 Lady Lane  1990s

Did reasonably well, making it to 2002.

That’s made me disproportionately happy. For reasons unknown I always get a bit homesick at this time of the year; it’s lovely to see such a photograph! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mind you i bet the 3 door owners were pleased as punch when the cossie was brought out...LOL

 

Cossie innit m9 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today saw me breakdown, albeit briefly, in the ever dependable Avensis.

Sad as I am, I wanted to drive the new stretch of the A14 which first involved me driving the old A14 (now signposted A1307). 

The approach road was flooded on the inside, and i was unable to pass wide due to a vehicle turning right. Now, the Avensis has never really liked getting wet. Hammer through rain and the PAS will stop working for 20 seconds, and sometimes the car can hold back as the lights dim briefly.

However, today it just proceeded to die. I dropped down a gear hoping to hop it back into firing but nothing. 3rd? Nope. I just cruised to a halt. 

Plenty of grunt to crank it, but no dice. It briefly ran at the 4th attempt as steam came from the bonnet. After it dried out for a few minutes, it started - cleared its throat - and off we went. 

Any ideas? I probably went through 2” of water at about 30 mph.

Ps. The A1307 was the weirdest experience. When it was the A14 you clung onto the wheel and hoped for the best- it was manic. Now? Like dystopian end of world stuff. I wasn’t overtaken for 8 miles. It was like driving on Christmas Day. Never made the new A14 because the exits are really limited and there’s only W/B access at Papworth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I think the 1.3 was dropped after a short time

It was dropped in 1986, sometime between May and October.  The 1.3 was available in three and five door (not estate) and in base and L trim levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

So it was probably fine. 

 

It was fine.

Previously it was solid 24-28. Every day.  Today the A1037 was quiet (0815) probably 40 cars a minute - the new A14 had three lanes of free running traffic and probably 50% capacity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Today saw me breakdown, albeit briefly, in the ever dependable Avensis.

Sad as I am, I wanted to drive the new stretch of the A14 which first involved me driving the old A14 (now signposted A1307). 

The approach road was flooded on the inside, and i was unable to pass wide due to a vehicle turning right. Now, the Avensis has never really liked getting wet. Hammer through rain and the PAS will stop working for 20 seconds, and sometimes the car can hold back as the lights dim briefly.

However, today it just proceeded to die. I dropped down a gear hoping to hop it back into firing but nothing. 3rd? Nope. I just cruised to a halt. 

Plenty of grunt to crank it, but no dice. It briefly ran at the 4th attempt as steam came from the bonnet. After it dried out for a few minutes, it started - cleared its throat - and off we went. 

Any ideas? I probably went through 2” of water at about 30 mph.

Ps. The A1307 was the weirdest experience. When it was the A14 you clung onto the wheel and hoped for the best- it was manic. Now? Like dystopian end of world stuff. I wasn’t overtaken for 8 miles. It was like driving on Christmas Day. Never made the new A14 because the exits are really limited and there’s only W/B access at Papworth. 

You’ve sprayed water where it didn't like it. Probably ignition coil area. I did something similar one jet washing the mercedes at my parent’s house. I was making sure the wheelarches and all underfloors were flushed out. It did not want to start afterwards and was lumpy for a few minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

You’ve sprayed water where it didn't like it. Probably ignition coil area. I did something similar one jet washing the mercedes at my parent’s house. I was making sure the wheelarches and all underfloors were flushed out. It did not want to start afterwards and was lumpy for a few minutes.

The two coils are up nice and high - but I reckon you’re right. The problem is there’s only a “cropped” undertray; it only reaches to approximately the front of the wheels. There isn’t, afaik, a bigger one available from any model of Avensis that would fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

It was absolutely definitely 100% a thing.  

It absolutey definitely was, my sister’s Father in law had a new one on a Y plate, bought on his Fords employee ticket. I remember him hating it solely for being so underpowered, and it was sold to buy a second hand Cortina Crusader within a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now the bASe is back in the land of the living it needs to meet its slightly older sister. A 1982 Cortina 1.6 Base that's only done 11,000 miles and is quite magnificent in its poverty spec glory.

48322528521_a9a49bc15d_c.jpg

PME 576X - 1982 Ford Cortina 1.6 Base by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

And for the ultimate base-model Ford repmobile chronology it would be great if egg's Mondeo could join in too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Now the bASe is back in the land of the living it needs to meet its slightly older sister. A 1982 Cortina 1.6 Base that's only done 11,000 miles and is quite magnificent in its poverty spec glory.

48322528521_a9a49bc15d_c.jpg

PME 576X - 1982 Ford Cortina 1.6 Base by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

And for the ultimate base-model Ford repmobile chronology it would be great if egg's Mondeo could join in too.

That's one chodtastic Cortina, where was it papped? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eyersey1234 said:

That's one chodtastic Cortina, where was it papped? 

I think it lives somewhere near me in the Milton Keynes area as I've seen it at a few local shows - this was at one of Milton Keynes Museum's evening meets. It's a FOTU concours contender if ever I saw one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Collection tomorrow.

It doesn't matter WHAT you've got your wife for Christmas - it's better than what I've got*.  

Hopefully she'll see the humorous side.  I'll report back on boxing day - possibly with a black eye.

 

 

 

*For my wife, not for yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By dome
      This evening I venture forth into hitherto unknown lands (Kirkintilloch) to collect my latest acquisition.

      Which, naturally, has issues.

      I have purchased my first line of defence.



      Which appears to have antigravity properties

      More will follow this evening...
    • By 95 quid Peugeot
      Right we're away, up on lift,
      Discounting painting the floor and bunging some new lights in
      1 hr in  
      Bottle of wine for closest date, of first road blast.
      Deffo a DNP


    • By PhilA
      Well, here we go again. I bit the bullet and bought me this.
       

       

       
      It's still up at the lot right now, there will be a miniature Collection Thread embedded in this thread when I go fetch it. Hopefully if the weather's good, that'll be this weekend.
       
      So, what is it?
       
      As the title suggests, it's a 1951 Pontiac Chieftain.
      It's got a flat-head straight eight hiding in the engine bay, 4.4 litres of it. It's bolted to a 4-speed Hydra-Matic Drive gearbox. No torque converter on this one, just a fluid coupling. 116 horses at a screaming 3700 RPM, 240lb/ft at 2000. It idles at 375 RPM. Redline just shy of 4k.
      Did I mention it's quite big? Sixteen foot eight from end to end and it seats six people in comfort. Every door has a quarter-light, too. Comfort is provided by properly sized tyres and (quite surprisingly for the age of it) double independent wishbone front suspension. Steering is via worm/wheel steering box so is moderately direct and the brakes are hydraulic drums all round. Modern and scientific!
       
      It's an honest example; looks to have had a "restoration" about 15-20 years back and the rust is coming through the seams and filler. The bottoms of the door skins have gone, the bottom of the A-pillars have gone (the front doors, on a single hinge a piece still open and close with one finger!) And it's got a couple holes and blebs in all the places you would expect.
      Not much electrical works. It needs to be completely rewired because someone has "converted" it to 12V. Thankfully it was originally negative ground so that's a good start. Gauges and such can be driven from a 6V bucking converter.
      Engine has had some work done on it- starts and runs nicely with very little greb coming out of the exhaust. It's got a few gaskets that need replacing and the tappets need some major adjustment, the gearbox engages gears correctly, the steering is okay but has a lot of slack in the center and the brakes work well, dont sink or feel spongy but need adjustment.
       
      More to come. I'll post up more pictures when I get it home.
       
       
      --Phil
    • By Zelandeth
      Well I've been meaning to sign up here in forever, but kept forgetting. Thanks to someone over on another forum I frequent poking me about it recently the subject was forced back into my very brief attention span for long enough to get me to act on the instruction.

      I figure that my little varied fleet might bring you lot some amusement...

      So...we've got:

      1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate (now fuel injected, as I reckon the later cars should have been from the factory...).
      1989 Saab 900i Automatic.
      1987 Skoda 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.
      1985 Sinclair C5.
      2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.

      Now getting the photos together has taken me far longer than I'd expected...so you're gonna get a couple of photos of each car for now, and I'll come back with some more information tomorrow when I've got a bit more time...

      Firstly...The Lada. Before anyone asks - in response to the single question I get asked about this car: No, it is not for sale. Took me 13 years and my father's inheritance to find the thing.


      Yes, it's got the usual rusty wings...Hoping that will be resolved in the next couple of months.

       






      Next, a proper old Saab. One of the very last 8 valve cars apparently, and all the better for it. I've driven two 16v autos and they were horrible - the auto box works sooooo much better with the torque curve of the 8 valve engine. Just wish it had an overdrive for motorway cruising...









      Next up a *real* Skoda...back when they put the engine where it belongs, right out the back. In the best possible colour of course...eye-searingly bright orange.







      Seat covers have been added since that photo was taken as it suffers from the usual rotting seat cloth problem that affects virtually all Estelles.

      Then we have possibly the world's scruffiest Sinclair C5...



      Realised when looking for this that I really need to get some more photos of the thing...I use it often enough after all! We have a dog who's half husky, so this is a really good way of getting him some exercise.

      Finally - again, I really need to take more photos of - we have the little Pug 107.



      Included for the sake of variety even if it's a bit mainstream! First (and probably to be the only) new car I've bought, and has been a cracking little motor and has asked for very little in return for putting up with nearly three years of Oxford-Milton Keynes commuter traffic, before finally escaping that fate when my housemate moved to a new job. Now it doesn't do many miles and is my default car for "when I've managed to break everything else."

      I'll fill in some more details tomorrow - I warn you though that I do tend to ramble...
×
×
  • Create New...