Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Good substitute for expensive cleaners for stuff like heater matrices?

Cheap diet cola.  Fill it up, wait 24 hours, flush thoroughly.

The amount of gunge that can come out sometimes is downright alarming.  Especially if someone has mixed coolant types at some point.  My Lada was on OAT coolant when I got it but obviously wouldn't have been originally.  I took the heater being full of slime (hence utterly impotent) when I got it as a sign the system hadn't been properly purged ...

The coolant in the CX appears to have turned into something resembling Irish creme liqueur 

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a very rare glimpse of the lesser spotted Ford Focus which forms part of the Borniteidentity Leasing Fleet. This is on ‘Long Term Loan’ with family, but it remains on the Profit and Loss for a couple of reasons.

We’ve now had it 9 years - all the way from 26k to where we are today at 100k. It’s had nothing in the way of large outlay since purchase in December 2010. Really, I ought to service it!!

FDAEABD7-28F2-4D52-9AF4-E68EE26867B0.thumb.jpeg.dbde78362aac24f885b9f12a47f584b3.jpeg

More observant geeks will spot the OEM MINUS improvements that were made several years ago now. The diamond cut alloys on the Ghia models always suffer terribly, so I got some 15” wheels from a MK3 Mondeo and some lovely trims which I think are from a Transit Connect. They look superb IMHO. 

I love my Mk2, its proving to be a great car for so little money. I've never driven a Mk1 so maybe someone who has driven both could tell me how the Mk2 compares to the Mk1. I remember the Mk2 being criticised by the press at the time of its launch for not being as sharp to drive as the Mk1, just wondered how true that was or if its a load of twaddle. 

6 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I love my Mk2, its proving to be a great car for so little money. I've never driven a Mk1 so maybe someone who has driven both could tell me how the Mk2 compares to the Mk1. I remember the Mk2 being criticised by the press at the time of its launch for not being as sharp to drive as the Mk1, just wondered how true that was or if its a load of twaddle. 

Mk1 is better handling I’ve got to say, feels a bit more lighter and agile but on the other hand the Mk2 feels a lot more refined and as a result a bit more detached. A bit more of a compromise I’d say, the Mk2 drives very similar to the Mk3 Mondeo. 

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Mk1 is better handling I’ve got to say, feels a bit more lighter and agile but on the other hand the Mk2 feels a lot more refined and as a result a bit more detached. A bit more of a compromise I’d say, the Mk2 drives very similar to the Mk3 Mondeo. 

Have you partaken in the 1.4 studio model, by any chance?  For a car with that little horsepower and the revs you have to use to get it to 70, it's remarkably quiet...

It's an interesting experience.  You put your foot down and nothing happens apart from noise.

Did see a 1.4 CL base Mk1 the other day for sale, 5 door, base spec everything, Ford RDS 3000 in it with tape, no a/c, hubcaps, flat colour. Was really tidy was tempted to wallow in its poverty spec. A mate had a 1.4 Mk1, it was slow, not what you’d want for pounding the motorways and hills sapped it a bit but round the houses it was ok enough. Most of the Mk 1 1.4 are gone now as the engines wouldn’t take much in the way of hard work before they would get smoky. 

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

Did see a 1.4 CL base Mk1 the other day for sale, 5 door, base spec everything, Ford RDS 3000 in it with tape, no a/c, hubcaps, flat colour. Was really tidy was tempted to wallow in its poverty spec. A mate had a 1.4 Mk1, it was slow, not what you’d want for pounding the motorways and hills sapped it a bit but round the houses it was ok enough. Most of the Mk 1 1.4 are gone now as the engines wouldn’t take much in the way of hard work before they would get smoky. 

Link?  ?