Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

As detailed in the excellent "Motoring Notes" we visited the BLARG Autumn Tat Fest at MK Museum today.  It was an opportunity to get the Mini out of the garage, and to get my son away from the Xbox!  Completely by coincidence, today was the first time I've ever driven the Mini in the rain; not because I'm protecting it - just because we had a fairly dry summer.  Both laddo and I were alarmed to see rain streaming down the front of the speedo as we bounded down the A421, and this was quickly diagnosed as shrinkage in the windscreen rubber.  It also explains why the ash tray is rusty (!).  I will likely stick some chewing gum or something equally as low rent in the gap until things get serious next year.

It was an excellent meeting, and the weather was largely kind.  It was fantastic to see the @quicksilverMaxi (I'm now very keen to try one out!), lovely to talk to @Slowsilver@richardmorris and I think I spotted @Zelandethon my way out too!  

I am beginning to become increasingly embarrassed by the state of the Mini.  Which is unfortunate.  As I've just about run out of money.  The Pinto rebuild is still not finished, the Mercedes money has been absorbed by other things like a house with subsidence and I've had a work contract fall out of bed too which means I'm down on money as of next month.  I worry that it will have to stay shit for a longer time than first anticipated, which is frustrating and demotivating.  I don't want it mintola, but I do want to drive it without a HAZMAT suit on.

Still, this happened on the way home.

IMG_2583.thumb.jpeg.22e2a52e00f91a9972cc3f9d7162ece5.jpeg

1,000 miles since May.

Here's to many more.

• 2 weeks later...

As regular readers have probably gathered, it’s been a pretty bruising year at this end. Job contract after job contract had wobbled and fallen, and it’s been far less exciting on the car front than perhaps I’d hoped. 

On top of all that, our lovely old house decided that - after 165 years in approximately the same place, it would have a little go at wandering. It looks like the subsidence has been caused by the hot summer of 2018 and a tree that was removed last year causing the roots to rot. 

Anyway, found these lovely old photographs online and feel a lot better about things. I guess like with old cars, you don’t really own them. You’re just the custodian. 

2F5285F4-851E-4059-ACF5-7B8B1BA9C4A9.jpeg.f9a68cf5b5961846121a509b5c3116f4.jpeg

4A502222-764D-4BAC-8FDD-A6C378A6CE6C.jpeg.eadb25fd083ea0b5ca6e09ee1901a13a.jpeg

5D8AAF00-05F6-4996-9D1B-C57DE912ABFC.jpeg.eccae0f5d91fe47a4bb7042ec7c96216.jpeg

Austin Princess?

• 2 weeks later...

Time and time and time again, thoughts of improving the Sierra went round and around my head.  What's the point of sticking with the pinto?  And if I MUST - why not a 2.0?  But I can get to a Duratec HE engine easily by robbing it from our old Focus which sits still more often than not.  

In the end, sentiment meant that I ended up getting the original Pinto head rebuilt.  95% sentimentality, 5% fiscal prudence.  The original cars are the ones that garner the most interest on the open market, not that I wish to ever divest.  I dropped the head in at the local garage in July, he said he'd fit it in around other work and to give him a couple of weeks, and he eventually phoned on October 14th.  Hashtag rolleyes.  The good news is, on the surface at least, he's done a bloody good job.

IMG_2693.thumb.jpeg.15d42f5586fdd23d1a4ced777c6623fe.jpeg

IMG_2694.thumb.jpeg.ad2e2fa91d9a06b2d94d980a28a2d439.jpeg

That's a brand new, Ford camshaft - the head has been skimmed and a replacement spray bar added.  There's also a brand new thermostat housing on the end as well.  

The plan is to get her running this weekend; ahead of that the effervescent @alf892requested the fan/waterpump be delivered to his executive detached residence so the two could finally be separated.  35 years worth of corrosion meant we fought, in anger, for about 45 minutes with the spiteful little shit.  It got cut, viced, squeezed, smashed and sworn at and - eventually - we won.  Naturally.

IMG_2724.thumb.jpeg.4598cec7bcab4b73897e2ff7c6285256.jpeg

IMG_2725.thumb.jpeg.1d33939a78cfc70a1fc42a70f155ec5c.jpeg

IMG_2726.thumb.jpeg.a1be0c38edeff2188b23d27193efd249.jpeg

Note the scaffold pole behind Alf's left arse cheek that played a critical role in proceedings.

The fan is now sans pump - the new one awaiting mating season this weekend.

I'll keep y'all up to date.

I am glad it will be kept standard. The original engine contribute to the patina. A duratec lump would ruin it.

Coming back from Nuneation this morning I saw an 18 plate audi A5 on the back of an AA wagon. A 12 month old prestige car. I am not sure it is progress.

9 minutes ago, Bren said:

I am glad it will be kept standard. The original engine contribute to the patina. A duratec lump would ruin it.

Coming back from Nuneation this morning I saw an 18 plate audi A5 on the back of an AA wagon. A 12 month old prestige car. I am not sure it is progress.

I'm also glad it's being kept standard, I agree with Bren that a Duratec would spoil it.

57 minutes ago, Bren said:

47 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I'm also glad it's being kept standard, I agree with Bren that a Duratec would spoil it.

What these two gentlemen said!

Modifying Fords has been done to death, it’s now normal and meh. Some cars need to remain standard imho and this is one of them. There’s nothing wrong with what you’ve already got anyway.

Glad you are keeping with the original engine, it’s done alright to last 36 years so it’s more than a fitting tribute it should get a few new parts.

I also agree with the sentimental thing too. And I’d also walk past Ferrari’s, Lambo’s etc, to see this fine machine doing its thing.

10 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

What these two gentlemen said!

Modifying Fords has been done to death, it’s now normal and meh. Some cars need to remain standard imho and this is one of them. There’s nothing wrong with what you’ve already got anyway.

It wasn’t really about Modz YO - just having absolute reliability with a decent increase in performance from a known engine/drivetrain. 

In the end, I just decided I want the bloody thing running - and the quickest path to that was rebuild. 

I would like to do a standard Ford with modern Drivetrain - just to have that balance of looks vs performance.  But the reality is I get one day a week to play with them, so it will likely never happen.

It would have been easier to do - had this not been the last remaining Baser anywhere.  Over the last 3 years, various digging/asking/probing hasn't revealed a single one - and the internet is very very good at unearthing cars.  There are a few left that have been pimped, and one which didn't have the grey nose, but I think - as a sole survivor - it deserves to remain as intended.  

I don't see how it can be easier to fit a Duratec engine say, than recon and fit a pinto cylinder head.

The head should have taken a week for machining, and a week for rebuilding at the most.  You can build one in a day with everything to hand.

The fact that it has been lying on a bench for months does not mean it was difficult.

I think he was getting at a Zetec being more reliable. Fundamentally it’s whoever owns its decision to do whatever with it, it’s quite easy to be prescriptive about it from afar but if a modification makes it easier to use and enjoy I’m all for it. I mean you wouldn’t chuck the basic dangly mirrors or the grey grill away but a 1.6 Zetec plumbed in properly would look fairly standard if you utilised Ford bits like the CVH sump and the myriad of other bits from the parts bin. It’s by the by now anyway as it’s had the engine sorted. 

What are your plans with the body?

17 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I think he was getting at a Zetec being more reliable. Fundamentally it’s whoever owns its decision to do whatever with it, it’s quite easy to be prescriptive about it from afar but if a modification makes it easier to use and enjoy I’m all for it. I mean you wouldn’t chuck the basic dangly mirrors or the grey grill away but a 1.6 Zetec plumbed in properly would look fairly standard if you utilised Ford bits like the CVH sump and the myriad of other bits from the parts bin. It’s by the by now anyway as it’s had the engine sorted. 

What are your plans with the body?

There are two new doors for the driver’s side. They’re both the wrong red and one needs to be de-electrified which I’m hoping doesn’t prove too difficult. The rear quarter is actually sound but probably needs a bit more filling and fondling to improve things further. There’s a genuine bumper to go on the back too. The near side is pretty ace now it’s had the wing and rear 1/4 done. 

The dash is obvs fucked but only superior units now exist. It has leave to remain. Seats are super squashy after god knows how many miles! 

7 hours ago, Mally said:

I don't see how it can be easier to fit a Duratec engine say, than recon and fit a pinto cylinder head.

The head should have taken a week for machining, and a week for rebuilding at the most.  You can build one in a day with everything to hand.

The fact that it has been lying on a bench for months does not mean it was difficult.

This.

Absolutely no need for an engine change 'to keep up with modern traffic'  or some other bollocks.

Mind you i think the bloke that built it made the new cam and did it from a piece of bar using only a hand file.........

Today, in anticipation of Alf892’s visit tomorrow, I had to move the Sierra from the sidebar of shame to the garage - so we can work in relative dry.

Easier said than done.  Loose shingle, mud, sticky brakes meant that I had to unleash the PaedoBus™️ on the job.

Here she is, moving for the first time since February.

I really hope we can get to a state where it’s running and stopping tomorrow. If we get the new carb on then great, but it’d just be nice to make some progress.