Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

I nearly had a bloody heart attack when I read disappointing development! You tease you.

The big question is, will the steering wheel be replaced for total originality or will your sister’s one remain?

As I found your Nan’s car can you find my Grandad’s car? It’s a baby blue MKI Cortina 4 door with a V8 he fitted in the garage one weekend. It was stolen out of his driveway in 1977.

Thanks for the offer. I’m so grateful. My usual wingman is AWOL. I think hiring a beaver tail is the safest way. Concerns are just being able to get it on when I’m on my own (vendor is 75) and securing well.

Would you be about on Sunday? It’s a tiny village a few miles NE of Wroxham on the way to Stalham.

(Your message box is full!)

I'm not too far away either and need an excuse to go lick the Park Avenue a bit, happy to help a shiter however I can. 

Absolutely NO dice getting a trailer. Briefly considered a Luton van but, even with a tail lift, I’d still need a forklift. Apparently the vendor doesn’t have one. Typical.

So I’m hiring some hardcore beaver action. All told, it’s probably for the best. It’s a narrow entry to the guy’s property and single track road - so reversing would be notably harder.

Collection Sunday.

Absolutely NO dice getting a trailer. Briefly considered a Luton van but, even with a tail lift, I’d still need a forklift. Apparently the vendor doesn’t have one. Typical.

So I’m hiring some hardcore beaver action. All told, it’s probably for the best. It’s a narrow entry to the guy’s property and single track road - so reversing would be notably harder.

Collection Sunday.

I know it might cost more but it’s probably the better way to do it imho. I did consider all sorts when I brought my Volvo down here from Bath, including driving it after it’d sat rotting for two years.

In the end it’s far safer and more reliable to get a man with a flatbed. I just browsed ebay for someone offering car transport near my area and gave him a ring.

I met him on site where the car was and he did the rest - loaded it up, used his own decent pro straps, fully insured and knew what he was doing. It’s so much simpler and you know it’ll get done. The guy I used was a top bloke, I even gave him extra as a tip once we got home, and I’d use him again any day.

Pissing about with trailers etc etc is a ball ache by comparison.

I know it might cost more but it’s probably the better way to do it imho. I did consider all sorts when I brought my Volvo down here from Bath, including driving it after it’d sat rotting for two years.

In the end it’s far safer and more reliable to get a man with a flatbed. I just browsed ebay for someone offering car transport near my area and gave him a ring.

I met him on site where the car was and he did the rest - loaded it up, used his own decent pro straps, fully insured and knew what he was doing. It’s so much simpler and you know it’ll get done. The guy I used was a top bloke, I even gave him extra as a tip once we got home, and I’d use him again any day.

Pissing about with trailers etc etc is a ball ache by comparison.

I should be clear - I’m piloting the beast! £80 cheaper which, whilst not a lot, is a hopefully a worthwhile saving.

We’ll see I guess!

Bornite, hopefully not too late to the party, but if SWMBO releases me of my duties on Sunday then I am potentially available to pop over with tools and another tyre compressor if you need an extra pair of hands?

I’m only the other side of Norwich so it would be rude not to say hello. I’m fascinated to see this awesome little beast!

Bought a hearing aid beige '82 City E in 1993 and then commuted 90 miles a day in it for four years. Eventually not being a student any more and having some money meant that the treadmill of keeping a 150k Mini going started to lose its shine. Still, it was a smashing thing and made you realise it is more than possible to enjoy a Mini that isn't far too valuable and covered in red brocade.

A couple of years back my grandmother's '68 Semi auto Beetle surfaced at some dealer. Didn't really fancy buying it because they were asking mental money for it and I wouldn't really want any Beetle unless it came as part of a buy one get Philippa Forrester free deal. Still, it was interesting to see that it had survived.

Top, top snaffling Bornite. Truelly amazing discovery and purchase. As said - most of this place would of course be selling body parts to grab certain cars from our dim pasts.

I was worried about he A-frame mention until I read all that way through - definitely a better and safer option.

Very best of luck - really looking forward to photos of the little monster rolling into daylight for the first time in an eon.

As Vinny once said - It's been emotional……….

Top, top snaffling Bornite. Truelly amazing discovery and purchase. As said - most of this place would of course be selling body parts to grab certain cars from our dim pasts.

I was worried about he A-frame mention until I read all that way through - definitely a better and safer option.

Very best of luck - really looking forward to photos of the little monster rolling into daylight for the first time in an eon.

As Vinny once said - It's been emotional……….

vinnie-jones---it-amp-039-s-been-emotion

Thanks man.  Over the years, I've done some truly stupendous things with cars (many of which I'd never publicly admit) but nowadays I'm either

A) More cautious

2) More wise

D) A massive bottler.

(!)

Have great memories of these, my Dad used to service/repair cars on Saturday mornings for beer money and I would go and help*. Having kids now I realise I must have made these jobs 50% longer for him to finish! There was a few mini city models just like this, sticks in my mind one having the really basic round dash when my Grandads mini 1000 had the rugby ball shaped one, they really were proper base models!