cars with mega miles

Faker

My 155k mile Scenic (probably the only genuine miles one in the country on that high miles and a 1.6 petrol automatic) was excellent and is still soldiering on for its new owner

205k mile Trafic is in much better condition than many lower mileage ones I see - hate to think how many engines/turbos/gearboxes it's had though!

I have a theory that a car approaching 200k will be in generally better shape than a car approaching 100k, everything will have been replaced by that mileage, ball joints, track rod ends, bushes e.t.c 

That green bastard outside has done a LOT less miles than either of the two you reference and I reckon EVERYTHING that could possibly wear out has been replaced, sometimes twice (three times for the steering rack!) Big, heavy cars are hard on their bushes and suspension components generally and they wear them out a lot faster than a nice light car.

I also think that the speed of progress has made maintaining cars a lot more difficult - asbestos free pads mean we now have discs that wear out in two sets of pads. In the olden days (back when I were a lad.... ) it was rare to change discs before 100K, and so on. I was going to go on (and on, and on.... as usual) but I realised it would just become another 'all moderns are shit' post.

Here is my breakdown of your post.

My 155k mile

Respectable....

Scenic (probably the only genuine miles one in the country on that high miles

I agree, very impressive

and a 1.6 petrol

Amazing scenes

automatic

Roll out the bunting; it's gold medal time. Why Renault still bother to make slushers I've no idea.

A few years ago at my local car auctions, there was an early W210 style E-Class up for sale. Not the worst condition, not the best but presentable. The info sticker on the windscreen said 1,555,000 miles. We though it was a misprint and likely just 155,000. 

When it was started up to be brought to the auction block,checked to see what it's actual mileage was. Turned out the bastard was actually a million & a half mileage car! That or the computer was borked. 

The fact it was a late 90's Merc...make your own mind up on that. 

There's some weird arse stuff going on with your MOT history, how'd that happen?? Some serious mileage jumps up and down....

Check the MOT history of a vehicle
Registration number: D608OCS

• Vehicle make PEUGEOT
  • Vehicle model 205
  • Date first used 26 May 1987
  • Fuel type Diesel
  • Colour Blue

MOT history of this vehicle
  • Test date 22 April 2016
  • Expiry date 5 May 2017
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 500,959 miles
  • MOT test number 4027 7390 3773
  • Test date 4 May 2015
  • Expiry date 5 May 2016
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 500,751 miles
  • MOT test number 5385 9462 5124
  • Test date 6 May 2014
  • Expiry date 5 May 2015
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 500,742 miles
  • MOT test number 8458 8642 4191
  • Test date 1 May 2013
  • Expiry date 1 May 2014
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 500,216 miles
  • MOT test number 7166 7132 3170
  • Test date 2 May 2012
  • Expiry date 1 May 2013
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 498,625 miles
  • MOT test number 2996 0392 2158
  • Test date 4 May 2010
  • Expiry date 5 May 2011
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 113,275 miles
  • MOT test number 4932 8402 0190
  • Test date 20 April 2009
  • Expiry date 5 May 2010
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 983,000 miles
  • MOT test number 2530 4031 9159
  • Test date 7 April 2008
  • Expiry date 5 May 2009
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 774,222 miles
  • MOT test number 4618 2849 8042
  • Test date 10 April 2007
  • Expiry date 5 May 2008
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 511,268 miles
  • MOT test number 2831 4020 7182
  • Test date 5 May 2006
  • Expiry date 5 May 2007
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 185 miles
  • MOT test number 6111 9582 6139
  • Advisory notice item(s)

Nearside Front Tie bar/rod rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Front Tie bar/rod rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Ball joint has slight play (2.2.B.1f)

A mate of mine used a 4 year old Montego 2.0 Gti as a taxi for a year then adjusted* the mileage ready to sell it.

When he picked it up from the MOT, the tester complimented him on the condition, considering the mileage. It was only when he was showing me his handiwork and I pointed out that Montegos had 6 digit mileometers, that he realised it was showing 530,000 or something.

Luckily it's a 5 minute job to clock a Montego and the lucky* new owner never noticed the extra zero on the MOT.

My mate is a service engineer, his cars go at two years, the last one had 120,000 on the clock, this one has just shy of 100,000 after 18 months. Depending on price I might have a look at buying it as they tend to go really cheap I.e two year old £25k car for about £7-8k but never spent that much on a car in my life. When you think he tends to be abroad with work for two or three months of the year as well its some serious mileage but mostly motorway. When you break it down 200-300 miles a day average for a service engineer isn't that much.

Taxi easy do 40-50k a year.

Granted, but that 5008 did 69000 between its first two MOTs! That's 200 miles a day, seven days a week, for 12 months.

Insanity. But, as you say, as a taxi it's more understandable.

I can't get my head around the 191k Merc CL500 on its first MOT from a page or so back... :shock: :shock:

My mate is a service engineer, his cars go at two years, the last one had 120,000 on the clock, this one has just shy of 100,000 after 18 months. Depending on price I might have a look at buying it as they tend to go really cheap I.e two year old £25k car for about £7-8k but never spent that much on a car in my life. When you think he tends to be abroad with work for two or three months of the year as well its some serious mileage but mostly motorway. When you break it down 200-300 miles a day average for a service engineer isn't that much.

What is it? I going to guess Skoda Octavia or Superb. Remember ,whatever it is it could be coming up for clutch and DMF, which will piss you off if you've just spunked more on a car than ever before.

I tend to buy my cars for work at 2-3 years old and about 100,000 miles and I haven't come unstuck too often in the last 25 years. Contrary to popular belief, most company car drivers really look after their steeds, tending to get on the phone to the Fleet manager or lease company at the slightest noise or problem- they're not paying for it after all.