Split_Pin

24/7/2019: Audi Cab, keep or sell?

Ok I carefully measured out up to 3.5l oil using the markers on the canister and this is where it sits, roughly the same distance again between the max and min marker.

I have ordered the dipstick holder but it is utterly buried under the IM.

I'll just use this method for now.

I am quite relieved as I thought something was wrong with my oil extractor but it extracted just over 2.5l which would have been about right.

post-3238-0-74880300-1550094646_thumb.jpg

Going to swap the cars about tonight and get the Clio in the garage and up on the blocks.

I am not willing to pay a garage to change a radiator when I have carried out this job on my Astra Coupe, Vectra B and my Corsa (twice). Both of the former had A/C and required most of the front of the car to come off but I managed it without too much arsing about.

Cue Scotoshiters strangely 'washing their hair' most nights.......

Going to swap the cars about tonight and get the Clio in the garage and up on the blocks.

I am not willing to pay a garage to change a radiator when I have carried out this job on my Astra Coupe, Vectra B and my Corsa (twice). Both of the former had A/C and required most of the front of the car to come off but I managed it without too much arsing about.

Cue Scotoshiters strangely 'washing their hair' most nights.......

Aye, sorry..... Just got some new Vosene.... Lol

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Now assuming the position.

Lots of fairly fresh self tappers present in place of spherical blobs of rust which is good - someone else has done all that hard work.

There is some rust on the subframe which Ill treat while it's up. The steering rack also looks damp at the o/s boot. Filed under 'hope and ignorance'.

post-3238-0-99525400-1550174997_thumb.jpg

Gave this a good scrub last night when I came home from work. This morning I cleaned and fed the seats with Gliptone and hoovered it out. I even did 'forecourt valet stripes' on the carpets.

It looks very well indeed. There are 2 very small bits of surface corrosion on each rear arch which will rub down no bither. I still have some State Blue touch up paint from Mutha_Pin's old Fiesta which looks like it could be a good match.

I pressed it straight into service this week and it performed without any issue. i am definitely warming to it now.

Tomorrow I'm going to get the machine polisher on it. The thermostat will be replaced on Tuesday, hood cleaner/restorer is on order as is are oil and a filter. Then it will just be drive and enjoy for a while!

Would offer a profit on this when you get bored as always wanted one.

Would offer a profit on this when you get bored as always wanted one.

Surprisingly, I've almost had as many notes of interest in the Audi in my 10 or so days of ownership than I have had in my 10 years of owning the Corsa! I'm going to enjoy it for a while before I inevitably go back to Rover 75 ownership!

Meant to say, the battery was dead on the Clio so I used the MIGHTY CORSA OF THAXOR to jump start it. Now its decided that it wants to have dipped beam on all the time. Oh well, DRLs are all the rage these days.....

That's a standard feature, I am not taking the piss. There is a way to turn it off but can't remember how. It must have been turned off and when the battery went flat it will have reset it to come on.

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/headlights-come-on-when-i-start-the-car.414487/

I had a bash at removing the self tappers on the 172 bumper this morning. Rounded off immediately and seized. Filed under 'That's no happenin'. Also, the battery is now borked.

Anyway, the Audi temp guage was reading high.

First to test the cooling system. Everything that should get hot, got hot. I squeezed a few bubbles through the top hose, fans kicked in and out as expected. Good.

However all the while the temp guage bore no reading.

There are 2 pairs of contacts behind the fuel and temp gauges which can deteriorate.

Out with the instrument cluster.

post-3238-0-64015700-1550337110_thumb.jpg

These 2 screws should be removed, the circular contact beneath cleaned up and reassembled.

post-3238-0-69890800-1550337345_thumb.jpg

The gauge now behaves a lot better, rising to an indicated 105c before the thermostat opens and then settling to around 98c.

I'm going to buy a new coolant temperature sensor for good measure, once I find out where on the back of the head it is.

I'm getting reet hacked off with the Audi now.

I took the missus and my son in it today.

However after sorting the contacts on the temp guage it now rises to 90c on the motorway but as soon as I slow down the temp guage batters up to around 108c and stays there. It will occasionally drop to around 95 to 100 but it always clambers back up again.

I've ordered a new Coolant temp sensor fron ECP but TBH I don't think that is faulty as there are no starting or smoking issues associated with it's failure.

As my video shows, I don't think it's 'the inevitable' but its massively fucking with my car mojo so it will be up for sale, advert to follow.

My time is better spent on more worthy projects like the Clio and if I'm honest I miss not being in a 75. At least they break for a reason which is straightforward to get to the bottom of.

I phoned my trusty garage today and booked the 172 in to have them fit the radiator.

Am I fuck pratting about for hours with chocolate self-tappers on the front bumper. I have better things to do.

However while it was up in the air I decided to attend to some surface corrosion on the front subframe:

post-3238-0-08358100-1550608552_thumb.jpg

post-3238-0-49471300-1550608607_thumb.jpg

Then I noticed a hole in the underseal under the driver's footwell.

There was an advisory for the adjacent jacking point being a bit chewed but not rotten at the last MOT but the corrosion had spread far into the chassis.

post-3238-0-86784300-1550609304_thumb.jpg

I peeled off the underseal and luckily it was all only surface corrosion. Thank fuck I didn't use the car over the winter. All Vactan'd up now and underseal on tomorrow.

I was on a longer run in the 80 tonight and the temp guage was as erratic as ever. However I noticed that the fuel guage rose and fell in harmony with the temp needle. I had read that this could be the voltage regulator on the back of the instrument cluster. It's the small black square thing.

post-3238-0-47034700-1550609024_thumb.jpg

These are £53 on ebay but thankfully I found a quality* alternative for 12 euro.

I need to take the cluster off again anyway as the backlight on the digital clock hasn't worked since I was buggering about with it on Sunday so I have maybe left something unplugged.