auld_ALS

11/7/2019: Bini Camshaft sensor P0011

Took some more time tonight to fart about with this thing and see what was what. The water on the ground seems to be a slow drip from an undertray in front of the radiator which had a drain hole blocked by a stone.

The radiator is, as expected, very tired and there is evidence of seepage from the offside, backed up by the empty header tank.

post-3238-0-10950200-1470951247_thumb.jpeg

I'm not shelling out 55 nicker for this car for a new radiator so some Radweld and fresh antifreeze will suffice for the next 6 months.

Furthermore, despite the body being rust free, the frontal structure is pretty rusty.

Front crossmember and chassis leg

post-3238-0-84803100-1470951488_thumb.jpeg

post-3238-0-45283200-1470951583_thumb.jpeg

1.4 16v engine, goes ok.

post-3238-0-24760500-1470951694_thumb.jpeg

Floor is ok

post-3238-0-28554800-1470951781_thumb.jpeg

Interior is bogging, I will fumigate this at the weekend.

post-3238-0-49898200-1470951885_thumb.jpeg

However, brand new spare wheel, I shall keep this when the MOT runs out in March.

post-3238-0-54658900-1470952075_thumb.jpeg

Looks more at home on the other side of the drive.

post-3238-0-66688300-1470952135_thumb.jpeg

First job will be to fumigate the interior at the weekend.

I will then replace the Crank Sensor. Started fine tonight so certain that this is the source of the starting problem. Can't tell from looking at the wiring if it's been upgraded but it looks like it's been left alone.

What do I do with this? Just buy a new sensor and fit it? I might try and clean the existing one as suggested.

In the 100% opposite fashion to the rest of my fleet, this will be a true budget car with minimal spend. Any larger repairs required will see it dispatched to Cartakeback.

My focus for the next few days will be the Corsa as its MOT time tomorrow. Areas to be welded are hatched in yellow crayoon!

got to be worth 22 quid for a rug doctor- my rank taxi Octavia was that bad..

https://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/2015/06/13/back-to-normality-or-as-close-as-it-gets/

WTF?

Seat covers man.  Pop a message on facebook and I bet you someone will have some that you can have gratis.

OK - they might be pink and reference 'fairy dust'....

If you're going to hire the Rug Doctor, do the house too to justify the expenditure!

1.4 doesn't have the stupid dephaser pulley so that's one less thing to worry about. I tend to think of Rens, Pugs and Cits of this era as being completely rust proof, interesting to hear of these blocked sill issues. I well remember the launch TV ads featuring a 'talking' Megane, what a bag of wank.

Worth scouting Amazon, as noted, to get a cheap rad - put in your reg, select all car parts then filter by Prime delivery only (note you can choose other delivery methods when you purchase). Generally you will find the cheap stuff is 'only 1 left'. Good luck!

Cheers R. welf, I couldn't find a cheap one on Amazon last night but I'll try that filtering method.

I was thinking about seat covers as I can take them back when the car goes, but then the Corsas seats that I put in 2 years ago are in need of a bit of a clean too. A rug doctor is no use for the house as we have 90% laminate and the 2 rooms that have carpet are being redecorated next month.

Don't get too upset if the rear crossmember has rotted through, it isn't testable.

I'd try first with the carpet some good quality carpet cleaner or stain remover.

Cheers SM, I have practically zero intention of taking this for another MOT anyway, making it last until March would be smashing !

I will try some 1001 or whatever it's called these days first to see what happens.

Worth scouting Amazon, as noted, to get a cheap rad - put in your reg, select all car parts then filter by Prime delivery only (note you can choose other delivery methods when you purchase). Generally you will find the cheap stuff is 'only 1 left'. Good luck!

Aye, there's some bargains to be had...

post-5612-0-98031500-1470993056_thumb.png

Where are you as I have a hoover wet vac

Thame, Oxfordshire. But a localer shiter to you may have need for it, winter is coming! Bang a pic up on the offered thread, someone will have it! I'm so stuffed full of vacs I've had to keep 5 in the boot of the car!

Unless you need help or advice, in which case fire away!

Autosmart g101 is most effective. Its what they use at work valeting the high trucks. tried some on my citroen seats and it really shifts the stains.

Yep. G101 to shift the bad stains and then Brisk to finish off and make it sparkle and smell nicer

Good system in the Megane, Phillips IIRC. Easy to use! If your planning on doing an oil change be mindful you'll need the relevant sump plug square key.

The coolant leak might be solved with K Seal if you can't source a new radiator. Radweld is pretty poor stuff, failing that you might come across a radiator in the breakers but most of the time they are as bad as the one you got. Waiting to get shot down in flames here for suggesting K Seal as someone's likely to come along in a minute and suggest you spend hundreds on an OE radiator and cooling system rebuild 😀