Long time lurker emerges from shadows

costadelglosta

Hi Shiters

I've been a long time lurker on Autoshite and thought it was about time I made myself properly known with pictures and everything (mostly because I fancied coming to an Autoshite meet). I'm a custodian of two vehicles that may be known to shiters; Beko's old XM estate and a veg powered 406 estate formerly belonging to Mr Station of the Wirral. I'm based just outside of Northwich close to the M6 junction 19.

My career in shite started early as my dad had a succession of old bangers when I was a kid including a Mini 850 (which the whole family went on holiday in with suitcases stacked on the roof), a beige ADO16, a Volvo 360 GLT, Morris Minor, and several original bread van polos. I used to watch and later help my dad doing repair jobs like changing a head gasket on the drive so got a taste for it. Much to my parents disappointment my taste in shite motors has continued despite being sent to University to get an education. I continue to buy shite motors partly out of financial necessity (I have jobs rather than career), partly because I enjoy tinkering and partly because it seems to get up some peoples' noses, especially my neighbours  :-D .

Here's a pic of the 406 - I'm laughing all the way to the bank with this on 100% veg. It hunts a bit at idle but still pulls like a train at 194,000 miles. It was very slow when I got it from Station but I've sorted that with a new throttle cable with the slack taken up. I've given it a service, a new cam cover gasket as it was peeing oil all over, replaced a few bulbs in the dash, changed some leaky hoses and fitted a DAB radio. This may be the best car I've ever owned - its nothing inspiring but I really like it and its great for lugging junk around. Even SWMBO admits it is comfy and likes the super cheapness of veg. Main downside is its horrendous juddering clutch - I've done the bottom engine mount so I think a crank seal may be needed.

post-4756-0-48748700-1470756182_thumb.jpg

I've got Beko's XM mouldering on the drive - its had a freshly skimmed replacement head put on after it blew a spark plug out of the head on the A556 and showed signs of HGF. Its been like this for a while as renovation of house shite and lack of stable employment gets in the way. I can confirm the amazing ride of the XM and the petrol turbo can manage an impressive turn of speed.

post-4756-0-71228900-1470756913_thumb.jpg

Prior to the 406 my daily driver was a 4 speed phase 1 106 that I found covered in dust in a garage as part of a probate estate with 36,000 miles on it. I charged the battery and drove it out, and MOTd it. After two years of hard use it need welding near the front wishbones and in the boot floor, and although I can weld okay Id already replaced the entire brake system and didn't want to put any more effort into the car. It was too small for a portly 6'3" bloke and hard going on long trips so over the bridge it went.

post-4756-0-48109200-1470757150_thumb.jpg

In addition to these I've had a variety of other crap steeds, having 7 old heaps in the garden of our last house at the height of the addiction. I still have a series two Landy 200tdi rotting in a field down the road but no funds to deal with it at present.

Now that I've introduced myself properly can I come to an Autoshite meet?

You could have come anyway! I want you to come to one when the xm is fixed up, would love to see her again! I still have the sunroof motor, spare key and a speaker grille for you!

Great to hear from you again! I missed the xm so much I had to buy a xantia, all the comfort but none of the fuel bills. Shame really, the way prices on xms have gone, I'll probably never own one again!

Thanks for the welcome fellow shiters. I shall come down to Cholmondeley for an afternoon and say hello as its only a short drive from Costadelglosta HQ.

Are you Jet Harris?

AICMFP

I have definitely never been in the Shadows but I'm just about old enough to know what "Apache" is  :-D .

You could have come anyway! I want you to come to one when the xm is fixed up, would love to see her again! I still have the sunroof motor, spare key and a speaker grille for you!

Great to hear from you again! I missed the xm so much I had to buy a xantia, all the comfort but none of the fuel bills. Shame really, the way prices on xms have gone, I'll probably never own one again!

Beko - I hope to have the XM running by the end of the summer. Something always gets in the way - the trouble is I've got house shite as well which needs a lot of work and Mrs Costadelglosta is a hard task master. At some point hopefully I'll get those bits from you. A spare key would be especially welcome. Looks like I got on the XM at just the right time though it wasn't intentional.

Yea, its a shame to hear it shit itself on you. It was never the most mint of engines, and the coolant was always a bit dirty but it didn't use oil, or coolant after I bodged the perished hose, would sit in traffic for ages without getting jot etc.

At least it's getting the love it deserves, it should be a different car when its done!

Well, since yesterday I know that the Pug doesn't look even remotely as nice in real life as it does in the photo.

Which is good.

More of a hundred footer than a ten footer I would say. Must have had a serious scrape down one side as all the panels are full of wob and the paint is lifting. The other side is factory paint and looks much better. I'll park so you can only see the good side next time.  :-D

The looks are more than compensated for by the smell of delicious frying fish and chips it emits!