Toyotally Fixerating Bitz 'n Bobs.. A Diary

tooSavvy

• 3 weeks later...

Coming up to 30yo, now basking in the raucous rust bath which is 'the NE' ? , I can see some scabbiness on the rear suspension arms (well sprayed with corrosion resisting gloop notwithstanding)... I'm just saying...

48710-20060 & 48720-20050 .... Different sides.

30846533.jpg

Anyone have a crocked 87 - 91 Carina/Camry/Lexus = all same part :)

I think a clean/sound pair 'on the shelf' might be good strategy >> on the car, even better!

answers on a post card to usual address.

• 2 months later...

Well.... At this 'tiresome juncture', it is difficult to organise anything particularly involved around tinkering with ToMM©

My back lane is still fenced off [the Great Metro Fire scene] and that means no convenient spot by the back door for servicing/tinkering ?

I made myself feel less 'redundant' therefore, by doing my oil-level check @Tesco [observing automotive self distancing = leaving atleast two spaces between your car and others...]

Yupp.... At the mark  :)

*not really a worry tbh

• 2 weeks later...

In response to the 'throwing off of the chains' regards social journeying....

49890541071_f4c48640d1.jpg

49890829502_cd000dcc37.jpg

...... a soujorn to the coast was felt not to be 'overdoing it' :)

*seals weren't overdoing it either, in the warm sunshine!

**stopped off @Morrisons and squeezed in £15 worth u/l 99.9P

• 4 weeks later...

^ ^ ^ ^ ....... and after some totally boring 'round the houses' shopping trips >> no family 'garden chair' encounters here! >> yesterday I squeezed in £20 @99.7p.

I had pointed out hawking a full tank was, like, a bit 'overkill' but SWMBO insisted it was 'a bargain'..... F F S ?

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, loserone said:

Would like to see what it looks like from lower down, but that might work out alright!

It has locator pegs sticking out >>> looks like a milking stool!

Dunno whether to drill 4holes (2bolt + 2peg) or just use the bolts.

The footprint will be fully flat on the lid so a black silicone/jelly mat will suffice (cut to shape) as a gasket :)

The ad said "led not working"... One wire had come adrift on the circuit board = I cut an access slot around the wire access gromit, to make room for my soldering iron, blobbed the board/wire end + flowed solder then araldited a square of placcie back over the two wires to keep the weather out....

50078809571_9990dd8dfe_c.jpgLED_resoldered by tooSavvy, on Flickr

Works fine now. 12V 4W is stencilled on the casing so no wiring issues likely :)

I believe these Jap cars are 'switched earth'... ?

The brake light wiring is 'permanently live', from Battery +V, and the other wire at the rear cluster [earthing] runs back through the loom to the brake switch/is earthed on switch.

This being unlike other UK cars where the loom is essentially dead wire until the brake switch makes a live connection, from Battery +V, and the power earths through the loom at the bulb end...

This means I need to 'tap' both wires, on the Carina loom and NOT go Black >> direct to an earth.

???

Having mounted/loose posed the spoiler some factors have come to my attention....

The Primera boot has a greater 'up-bow' and the feet are showing some gap on the innermost edge = a tapered gasket will be made up to effectively make the pressure footprint flat!

Also this bowing makes the centre foot too short to touch down onto the bootlid.... I'm going to make a stub to remedy this ;)

...... Watch this space (or no gap,actually)

*update...

At our local poondies (OneBelow actually) I scored a highdensity foam gardeners 'kneeling pad' + a pack of vinyl stickkie floor tiles = top/middle/bottom of foot wedge.

Scored some random bit of tat to repurpose into spoiler centre mount.

£3.... investment return 100% ;)