Toyotally Fixerating Bitz 'n Bobs.. A Diary

tooSavvy

Ah well..... It was coming along nicely... I didn't really mind that the blower fan wouldn't run on LOW - I chugged along on P2 (quiet).

Oopss... No P2 this morning = P3 (turn up radio)/P4(VTOL) :(

So its going to be an early Xmas prezzie [to self].

5minute job, if Utoob is believed.

SAAB 9k is under the screen scuttle.. 2min/no kneeling!

TS

After extensive WebbieMining.... I have unearthed these facts :(

1. Most 'online' suppliers charge about £45 to £60.

2. A few 'good used'(... aye!) come about £20

3. I got one*, brand new by Wed, for £6.99 ;)

..... How does he do it??

TS

*of course it isn't for a Toyota >> EXACTLY same plug socket + flat plastic face (file edges to fit!) lol

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bit of a Heart Attack :shock: moment, up at the ASDA on Whitley Rd, reversing <gingerly> out of the car parking bays.

I was coaxing ToMM© backwards... not to hit the cars opposite... and whilst keeping a good lookout, I spotted [out the corner of my eye] the Oil Pressure Light flicker ON.

I finished the shifting and no more lights... I slipped along to an un cluttered spot in the car park and whipped open the bonnet/dip oil = FULL!! Thank Fcuk!!

NOW >> I must have dipped to ,say, less than 350/400RPM during slurring the clutch with no throttle on (I DONT COOK CLUTCHES!!) and I have no idea if Toyota oil Switches are 'ranged' or Binary. It was sort of glowingish ... presumably some pressure - but not much.

Am I being a bit anal.....  :oops:

I notice the lamp goes out straight away when cold/hot (700 idle)  :)

TS

Strange one this.... :(

I splodged a drip of silicone window spray onto the doorkey to 'de-graunch' the key going into the door lock = 110% improvement .. gudd gudd!

Did the same to the ign lock & same improvement....

HOWEVER >>> I now cannot slip the key into the ign and turn to start [easily] :( :(

Now I have to twist and jiggle the key and be patient until it just releases and no problem ??

OK... Good advice 'if it ain't..' Point taken ;)

Anyone any idea how this 'loss of snick in/turnability' has happened?

Absolutely 100% reliable/key in & away since I got her.....

Bo##okks

TS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ANOTHER bastard csk chippie screw in the NSR tyre!! :(

Making three plugs now in this tyre... Limit of TWO on Z- rated ones.

... Guy at ATS informs me 'three strikes & you're out!' on plugs :( :(

Statistically (him being a tyre guy) he reckons NSR is the most frequent 'plugger' on his watch!

He sagely observed a swap across the back might 'make££sense' lol ;)

TS

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a leg-stretch on...

A week break about Leeds :)

Just finished my 'buffet'@PizzaHut, Centre 27 Birstall.

Conveniently, just across the M62 from our bash lol

Rediscovering [since I last worked about here a year ago] every village/huddle of houses is a Fukkinn Crossroads Grr

Sitting for ages at traffic lights does not detract from having a good time in Snowwy Yuurksheer...

TS

My new radiator (E9x Corolla auto) is fine... :)

When I'm tonking along at 70 the water pointer is marginally below the temp logo and when in the city it is central.

Proving that the stat is working and my big new rad is cooling everything properly.

As I only drive local I never see this effect, day to day ;)

TS

Oof.. A Dry Bush :/

When I'm turning the wheel lately I get a plastic2plastic squeak. As I have PAS I will let the wheel spin freely as I exit a tight parking space (therefore no twist load from me) and it squeaks exactly the same.

It seems to be a very exact 'chirp' but, then again, not noticeably repeatable/at a point in a loop :(

Two screws for the crash pad + 19MM nut will have it off but I need to know if it is a movement/touching cowling noise or coming from the indicator/bush inner assy ??

*I have tin of Silicone Spray ;)

TS

Before you take the wheel off, try spraying some silicon between the rear face of the wheel and the cowling.

My old MX5 had the exact same problem, I spent ages taking the wheel off and checking everything was working as intended, and when I put it back together the squeak was still there. Silicon spray made it disappear.

• 2 weeks later...

I have discovered my Front and Back Void Engine Mounts are split/knackered...

When I'm cranking/firing up the engine has been 'ka chunta chunta chunta' and heavy vibration has come up the wheel from the bulkhead >> goes away as soon as it fires BUT if I'm creeping along in 1st and its cold the whole engine/tranny will 'hunt' a bit :(

Tootles up to my local MOT mukka, I rev the engine against the handbrake and he gives me the verdict.

However... I discover... these engine mounts (likely other Fabricated ones) have a steel tubed rubber bush pressed in :)

81Rm%2BYEN-qL._SX450_.jpg

I have the part number for both and have set Mick's Garage* away to see if they can source some.
They are on the web @14Euro ish but I would rather just get the one hit + boxed & delivered ;)

*EDIT... No! They cant supply anything for me... :(  However, my M8 in Ireland has a 'breaker' and I have asked if he will sell his old ones. :)

The engine, in ToMM©, is rather like the HC Viva... Totally lost in the engine bay = the engine mounts are in free air and the garage guy says they will wizz off quickly (see less£) Gudd Gudd

TS

Yupp... SAAB 9k owners have been doing top engine dogbones for a long time :)

Because I don't want the car off the road, diy + setting + refit, I'm going to the garage. However if I score for s/h, from Ireland, then I can slow-blo the job = either with bodge or pressing bushes up at the garage, not holding them up ;)

Cheers

TS

Seems that Blueprint ADT-380166 Corolla will do for the Front Mount (under rad).

As far as I can establish, the actual 'pressed-in' rubber bush is the same as my Carina II - so if the pressing won't line up then the bush can be swapped.

What a faff-on  :-P

... no fun, otherwise!

TS