Toyotally Fixerating Bitz 'n Bobs.. A Diary

tooSavvy

Just rolled home after a week away, doing Lakes and other spots, from a base in Carlisle.

KirkstoneFeb_2017.jpg

Breather at the Kirkstone pass (...no, not very sunny!)

505miles..... boring, boring, boring [fillup] >> repeat 8)

I think some seriousToMM© Tyre Replacement Investigations will occupy most of this upcoming week ;)

TS

I bought a new fiat ducato in 2005. I used it to pull my caravan to the lake district. My new van had less than 1000 miles on it when my tomtom decided the quickest way to Windermere was up the Kirkstone pass. My new van must have aged 5 years that day. Very nerve racking going down the other side. I could smell the clutch going up and burning brakes going down. Anyway I digress....

Just popped for these......

3x Litres  Comma SXGL41L 1L SX75W-90 GL-4 Semi-Synthetic Gear Oil

Amazon @ £7.44ea delivered  :-P

I need 2.5L for my 5speed.

Wise men say.... make sure the filler plug comes out before draining = or you might not be able to refill!!

TS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had occasion to visit the 'is it taxed?' Gov site yesterday.

Slotting ToMM© into the search it tells me I'm untaxed from 1 July. This is an 'expensive error' on my part when I bought it last year... I looked into taxing it from Aug1st (never used online before) and hit 'go' button on the last day of July = taxed from 1st July :(

Helpfully, though, the site kindly reassured me I have a D/D autorenew in place :)

One less thing to forget, then ;)

TS

Hmmm.... Stick pads on ally plates??

I liked the 'clean & neat' way I fixed the new plates on the car..... However the rear one was hanging on by a prayer yesterday (SWMBO was walking round the back, after parking up, and spotted it!)

I have popped a couple of plated PC frame screws in... not too likely to rust out  :-P  They are through the part which has the pad stuck to it... so no water ingress issues FTW.

35873828846_fe6ce92e24_c.jpg

Not happy..... ah well !!

TS

• 2 weeks later...

..... continuing the 'spend, spend, spend..!!' gaiety of a milestone birthday.....

I popped into Lidl and splashed out on TWO.. count that.. aerosols of BAUFIX paint.

Anthracite & Silver.

looking at the lid, Anthracite may be a good match for ToMM© arch/sill end repair (currently sploshed with Hammerite BLACK Garage Door paint)

the silver may bonnify the air cleaner cannister

£5 the two (not £2.99ea on bin tag)  ;-)

Baufix%20Paint.jpg

TS

Popped for 4x tins of this:-

31F0B-1q%2BzL._AC_UL600_SR360,600_.jpg

£23 all in, and Amazon delivered overnight!!

So now I can do the sill end on the ouside & follow up on the INSIDE  :-P

..... if it stops being wet/thundery/threatening to be either .....

TS

So it actually gets done... SOON... I'm having my local garage dump my gearbox oil/refill with my own GL4.

Yes..yes.. I'm more than able to do it but just can't face wrestling with the [admittedly, shallow formed] plug hex + stinkie trans oil dribbling up my forearm :(

A 4post is the Way Ahead here.....

He has a selection of annealed washers so that's sorted too :)

Thursday 08:30, first car in......

TS

..... Knew it wouldn't last :(

Garage monkey OPENED the bonnet OK [kos I don't slam it from 4ft]

He DID!!! Won't ffinn open... grrrrrr

Waterpump pliers/cable interface again.

Will replace the nylon pull lever with an ally copy to 'future proof' this aspect of ownership ;)

*L8noose >> having NOT managed to open bonnet.. run round to front, press hard down on leading edge, hear "boinggg", run back and jump in.. Yank - "pongg" = now open!

Will be Fixtt :)

TS

Someone [somewhere..] advised that the steel oil cooler link pipes rot like a barsteward - being directly behind the grille.

Mine are mmm, 'aged well' - that will suffice - and a smear of never again will slosh on very soon ;)

A piccie when I'm doing it, everyone? lol

TS

OOOF! Babemagnet*Level1 achieved......

*OK...pimply yoof OK

Feeding anklebiter, last evening, with a run through our local DriveThru MakkiD and 'headset wearing' yoof gets all agitated/drooling over my car...

'Ahh.. GR8, love the oldies <lyke> has it got power steering? Yeah [leans head out of booth] ooh, yeah, <lyke> you have the alloys..Cool!'

:roll:  TS

... so then, nearly 52 weeks of 'ToMM© Waftage'  :-P

Seems an age ago >>> the forum was in near constant wobbledom >> I was desperate to keep contact with Station, as I only knew him here  :shock:  and I was attempting to arrange moto purchase through the medium of 'digital scotch mist!'

Aneehoo.... A fairly relaxed jolly, with SiL, down to The Wirral got me fixed up....

The rest is, as they say, History  :common007:

TS