Toyotally Fixerating Bitz 'n Bobs.. A Diary

tooSavvy

My 'MOT Man' has opened the bidding @<£300 for.......

*Fit Dampers

*Fit Droplinks

*Fit ARB Bushes

Oil/Filter/Airfilter/Check Gbox levels.

Steamclean engine (it is minnginng...) [prior to cleaning, a forensic examination to see where oil is coming out/afterwards we will see!!]

...oh. MOT it :-P

*Parts supplied

TS

Daughter, who has a new Renault Meggie on disability, has been out shopping with us, in the Toyyo of Much Mintyness, and thinks it is the BeezKzz :-P

.... out of the bloo she pops up at the front door and gifts me these.....

35610367872_f449dd3c2f_c.jpg

They were £10 off Glumbush.

She was keen to ensure I'm safe when I need to get the old rod up in the air.

I have my extremely robust wooden block bases but.... thinking about it.... they can do 'Chassis/axle stand' duty should I need such, being wood and broad they will be better on chassis rails than a steel stirrup.

She's grand :mrgreen:

TS

nice ramps! how's the rear parking sensorzzzzzz?

FFinnEll... I WORK (on 7 atm) & Satisfy SWMBO with my brush skillzz [err.. at the top of a ladder 8)  ]

I have 'minor corrosion issues' to attend to on the sill NS (seen in this thread) and am negotiating 'free time/sunny dayzz' with SWMBO to rectify that....

It is all W.I.P. and full reportage can be relied upon..... when I have time to do it.

TS

No one drives this car but me... therefore, I have little opportunity to use any of the other doors/doorhandles.

So when I grabbed the front passenger doorhandle, to open it for something or other, it WOBBLED in & out :? .

Me dunna lyke krappie bitz!!

Today I'm off shift and the rain wasn't due till 5 :-P

Got the car round the back and started on the door strippage....

35739201916_f9a697bc5c_c.jpg

34939345364_2e5516ab4d_c.jpg

* googling got the lowdown on how to get the armrest & switchplate off.

35391798280_178d3f6be3_c.jpg

... I was fairly certain someone had been in b4 ...

Sure enough... the captive nuts (with fixing hex bolt tightened in) were revolving in the plastic handle.. so no more tightenees :-(

Using determination/brute force & ignorance I managed to get the 'captive nut' to break out of the handle. I removed the handle after unclipping the rods - total quality fittings and a delight to work on!!

I spot drilled through the void [where the captive nut had been] a small pilot hole... opened this up to take the countersunk bolts I had in hand/Csunk the plastic on the handle outside (covered by the finger pull handle) to allow the bolts to lie flush.

34939340554_82bf826e6f_c.jpg

This is the little bu99er which caused all the hassle.....

34939339984_67d8b1d955_c.jpg

... a great deal of satisfaction gleaned to feel the handle as it should be... a *spot of Black on the heads & dunnz dunn :mrgreen:

* paint will wait... started to rain....

TS

Did a bit of shopping at my local Car Acc Shop...

34939339144_2124214913_c.jpg

This lot is for my rear sill ends/arch bottom. I know WankSpoil is not on the A$ approved list but it was all he had to hand.

Biggest smile of the day was saved for the till.... He was a dweeb, but chatty, and keen to know about my Toyyo = Not really concentrating on the cash transaction....

The receipt comes out of the till and the bottom clearly states the total to pay (£13)... so he rattles into the till [my £20 in hand] and gives me YES... £13 change.

I'm outta there..... 8)

TS

I had a similar handle issue when stripping my Toyopet for a new coat!

1 from 2 of the (securing) bolts snapped in the captive Riv-nut style affair.

When I broke out the drills, Workzone - golden finish, no less - and had NIGH ON removed the F.U.B.A.R. fastener, said 'captive nut' became unseated (spinning in the now too warm surrounding plastic.) :shock:

No problem thought I! A swift (non-Suzuki owner so no uppercase!!) visit to the MrTPartsMountain yielded a donor unit, and some deft cold chisel action, presented me with an [undamaged; the name of the game] female fixing. :-D

Watter pump pliers and Loctite (small tube) saw it pressed into the handle like a new 'un.

Cost to me £0.00p

Always the passenger side. :-)

OR

---------------------------------------

Just joshing, fella. (It is hard to type like this!)

Well done on the fix. I myself like things even more hidden, but yours aint going anywhere in a breeze. 8)

WELL....!!

..... where to begin :-P

OK then... THE END!!

35693713862_d9d6ab841c_z.jpg

During 2014 she did 3739 miles/15 did 3187/ and this 16 did 6342 [1345 in my ownership].... hardly taxi work :mrgreen:

I wish to announce the NEW Carina ll, 25 Years Young & reborn.....

GONE is the wallowy, disconcerting heave and floppiness and rear shuffle.....

ENJOY an almost serene 'waft', with the tyres being pummelled by the force of the struts + the comforting 'bonggle/thwump' of a taut chassis being deflected by our totally $hite roads.....

I AM now getting exactly what 'the Son of the Rising Sun' was licking his sliderule for..........

Oh JOY, Oh Fountainhead of motoring yumminess......... enough, already...

<< YES, I have WOOD!>>

Got the car back.... two rear rubber brake pipes skipped when the rears were removed + the rear strut shrouds had to be renewed :-( 

Full service and MOT  £350 (I supplied £230 of parts)

TS

• 2 weeks later...

Bastard 'sparklystick' man stiffed me..... arranged for 1PM Saturday. Gets to his lockup (he does MOT on the morning) & all locked up like Fort Knox....

Hunt goes on for 'sparkly talent', in North Tyneside.

WilsonWilson..... is your M8, by the harbour, any good/available evenings or a Saturday?

Having a business next to the Metro just makes logistics so much easier, from Wallsend.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr :?

TS

... quick 'base touch' on ToMM© :)

Why (some might ask) pour loot into a WBoD?

SWMBO & I currently stand about a bag out of pocket.

*some perspective*

We sat in a dealer, biro in hand, to sign off on a cash deal 5bags Sandero0.9T.... ffinn close call!

We both love ToMM, she gets more room - quiet waftiness - her <beloved> tilt/slide & I get - err - well ToMM !!

Wedding anniv today and she really likes her prezzie (.. so do I)

TS

Now the dampers are done, 400% improvement all round, I'm driving with a bit more 'commitment' ;) ......

...... and have discovered a slightly disconcerting 'shuffl-ette' when rounding a mini rbt or changing direction a bit sharpish (going along a country lane, for example).

I have eliminated soft tyres (has the same feel) so I guess it will be bushes... &so many!! :(

More investigations required.

TS

BloomminnnEkkk.... NOT at work & Warm Sunshine [no rain!!] October SHOCK :-P

And, finally, got the wheels on..........

The 'Manchester Gangland' Stanced..Innitt 8)

35749224291_21067aed55_z.jpg

.... because my wheels £100 came with roadable tyres and I will run them for a while before new, but at the original diameters....

I had nightmares about the rim locking on the strut = too close a fit/gap... NaeBothha :-P . I can get my little finger through all the 'nip' points so these are a goerr...  4x100 7x15 ET37 & 195/50x15.

For a bag.... I feel at home here :mrgreen:

TS

I converted/changed vehicle when I got ToMM© on my insurance.

Policy ends mid Nov. Swinton came about £450!!

I tried Churchill £225 but they wont cover alloys (non factory) :(

Direct Line are totally cool about the whole thing... £200 :)

So they have my cash.

I made enquiries about 'classic policy/6k pa' and the quotes were eye watering...

FJ "we don't consider any Toyota a classic, unless an early celica"... Knobbers...

TS

• 3 weeks later...