Tell me what is the MOST comfortable car for a passenger

New POD

Peugeot 605 S1. 95% of the ride comfort without the complexity and pseudo intellectual waffle attached to an XM.

However, no hatchback, so if your passenger's bits are really aggy you can't just dump them in the boot.

Isn't a 605 more comfy for 95% of driving at legal speeds? I've never found XMs to be so great on English roads, if ultimate comfort is the goal. Stiff arbs and the suspension ECU is set up for French roads, which generally are better-surfaced than ours.

Isn't a 605 more comfy for 95% of driving at legal speeds? I've never found XMs to be so great on English roads, if ultimate comfort is the goal. Stiff arbs and the suspension ECU is set up for French roads, which generally are better-surfaced than ours.

Maybe.

If you want to do 100mph down crap, undulating Fenland roads, an XM's uncanny. But I don't drive like that (or trust an XM not to break in a stupid manner for any amount of time) and one party trick does not a convincing car make. I drive stuff hard round bends instead.

A fascinating exercise, but an uneven end result. I'd rather Peugeots be Peugeots and Citroens be Citroens rather than the former pretending to be the latter.

XM. Just as comfy as a 75 - if not more so - but the seats are higher and bigger. With serious back issues, not having to drop into a car will help - and with an XM you can bring it up to meet her halfway too.

Get an auto and always park it in max height. Even if it sinks between use, turn it on before getting in and it will rise.

These

2008079_citroen_c8_main.jpg

Are basically like a living room on wheels.

Loads of leg space

High up, easy to get in & out

Seat adjusts up/down/forward/back/lumbar/thoracic/tilt. Exclusive's also have heat & swivel.

Auto flavour is available

Cons - Citroen /PSA.

These are very smooth and comfortable cars. Easy to get in and out too.

anything big and heavy to soak up bumps, the comfiest vehicle I ever had was an auto Iveco welfare bus, with hydraulic seat for the driver- scale it down for practicality you probably end up with a people carrier or a luxo barge, such as a Kia Magentis, if money is a factor.

Currently got a transit lwb auto camper, brilliant comfort for my back 8)

How good would a C6 be? I can't imagine the stress of being one of only about 12 owners in the country, (the other 12 cars being for sale at vastly inflated prices in dealerships, who can't get rid for a fiver, so may as well ask for Â£7K, in case a nutter pops by) in an over-gadgetted French (and therefore unreliable) barge, would outweigh the comfort benefits for both passenger and driver.

How good would a C6 be? I can't imagine the stress of being one of only about 12 owners in the country, (the other 12 cars being for sale at vastly inflated prices in dealerships, who can't get rid for a fiver, so may as well ask for Â£7K, in case a nutter pops by) in an over-gadgetted French (and therefore unreliable) barge, would outweigh the comfort benefits for both passenger and driver.

Ahem a c5 *no vested interest honest* ;)

Ahem a c5 *no vested interest honest* ;)

I have decided I need an automatic gearbox in my life, otherwise I'd be in Grimsby right now buying a C5. maybe

I have always found that with my spinal issues (degenerative spinal disease apparently). The mk1 Picasso has always been supremely comfortable. You want the exclusive trim with the velour seats though not the lower spec ones that look like they are made from tweed.

I can certainly tolerate longer distances in this over any other car and if you can find a lower mileage auto, they are actually quite nice to drive.

Lots of modern tat I have tried have majorly solid suspension and seats that would make a brick seem soft.

This Is where it comes down to what the exact problem is though. I have an aggressive form of arthritis which is worst in my shoulders and spine and a Picasso would kill me after fifteen minutes. I need to have my legs out as straight as possible and by elbows supported to take the weight off my shoulders. My 318 is great but my old dailies, an MGB GT and mx5 were both even better (but sadly only two seats). I used to get some strange looks when I explained that I drove a small, low two seater 'for my back' but it was true. Anything that is 'sit up and beg' is hell on earth for me but obviously works for you. The suspension side though would apply to anyone I think, as would avoiding low profile tyres for the same reason.

So I guess the best advice is take some long test drives and see what works for the individual.

A Rover 75 (but ONLY with 15" wheels and cloth seats) would honestly be a good place to start.

But the leather seats are too hard (you sit on them not in them), and most examples have 16" or 17" wheels with horrid low-profile tyres.

Also the fact of the matter is, at the end of the day that the 75, when all said and done, in truth is very low in actual fact to be getting in and out of.

Also the fact of the matter is, at the end of the day that the 75, when all said and done, in truth is very low in actual fact to be getting in and out of.

True, actually.

Mum is 93, and I HAVE to park more than a shoe's width away from the kerb for her to be able to get in or out.  At all.

Lovely, once we're in it though.

Reading this thread has made me ponder the ideal spec for ultimate comfort.

Soft seats of hard supportive seats ?

Steel springs , hydrolastic ,hydro oleopneumatic or air ?

It's obviously down to personal preference and what may be perfect for someone today might not suit in a year, a month or even tomorrow, depending on what other factors are influencing your physical well being.

Depending on minor aches and pains sometimes I prefer the upright firm seats of our Freelander to the low soft seats in my Merc.

Actually that brings me to something else- variations in a particular model. A few years ago I bought a Mercedes e220 Elegance with a 6 speed manual and velour seats. It was a backup car so I didn't use it much, but when I did, I hated it. The driving position seemed off centre to the wheel , the seats had no support and it felt cramped and confining because I had to have the seat further forward than I'd like to fully engage the clutch. On the plus side it rode better than the 300C that was my everyday car.

Fast forward to now, I've got another W211 e class, but this time it's auto Avantgarde and has soft nappa leather, it's a totally different experience , the seats are amongst the best I've ever sat in, the driving position perfect, the ride can occaisionaly be a bit crashy over ridges on motorways but that's probably knackered front dampers.

It's also loads more relaxing because it's a 3 litre and therefore torquey and effortless.

So the ideal car could be an high riding mpv with a large engine and auto box. French suspension ,big seats and maybe some clever long cantilevered doors.

post-17414-0-29905200-1467967563_thumb.jpeg

I've never been in one but unless Citroen start making 807's with hydro suspension and the 3.0 diesel auto, nothing vaguely affordable should come close.

Wifey says Volvo V70 seats the best - having had an E Merc (when they were good!), Honda Accord, and numerous others including various Fords, Vauxhalls and Peugeots - and two V70's. and done a lot of touring in all of them.

• 1 month later...

I am now seriously considering a certain MV6 Omega that is on sale on this forum, by a bloke called JohnK. 

My man maths says that if a car is £600 and will do 30 petrol mpg on a run, it is better than a car worth £600 and achieving 40 mpg, but causing you pain, or a £4500 car achieving 55 diesel MPG.

post-17612-0-45251600-1472068913_thumb.jpg

This is because it is not until year 4 that you would breakeven on the diesel.

Assuming that repairs and servicing are more or less equal.

How to convince my wife, because mileage will be the sticking point for her I feel

Wife has back problems and uses a wheelchair.

Have had a few C4 Picasso's they are fine. Get one with Captains chair arm rests.

The semi auto gearboxes are crap though. Supposed to be better on new ones but we're not talking new on here.

Alhambra's not bad either, got one of those now.

You will notice I need a shed for all the disabled gear. Comes in handy for other bits as well.

New Pod, I suffer nearly the same symptoms as your wife (fused vertebrae and bottom 3 discs shot to shit) and I find its the seating postion rather than the seat. I kept a Zafira A till the summer having owned it from nearly new, purely because of the slide in seat postion. As a car shite really, but as cripple free seating experience very good. Currently I have an S212 E class which as I think was pointed out, doesn't have comfortable seats as such (there pretty good mind) but I can get out easily after several hours at the wheel.

New Pod, I suffer nearly the same symptoms as your wife (fused vertebrae and bottom 3 discs shot to shit) and I find its the seating postion rather than the seat. I kept a Zafira A till the summer having owned it from nearly new, purely because of the slide in seat postion. As a car shite really, but as cripple free seating experience very good. Currently I have an S212 E class which as I think was pointed out, doesn't have comfortable seats as such (there pretty good mind) but I can get out easily after several hours at the wheel.