Tell me what is the MOST comfortable car for a passenger

New POD

Saab 9-5.

Industry leading seats in comfort. All decent engines with poke, but still reasonably economical (unlike similar age Volvos). Not German, so not fashion item - hence cheap for what you get! But also respected for what they are.

A car brand that you don't really understand until you've had for at least a few weeks. At least I didn't, until I had one! I used to hate Saabs...

Volvo 7-series, no contest.  Do NOT get leather.  Velour is the real star of this series.  Plenty of autos available at Shite prices still.

The 700 and 900 series Volvos were the ones I was thinking of. I haven't been in one with velour, but the ones with leather are very comfortable cars - and easy to get in and out of too.

Comfort isn't about squishiness when you have spinal problems - it is about the underlying shape of the seat being right. The Volvo's are!

According to Mrs DW, an original Mini. She does have quite an odd back though, and a seeming ignorance of utterly shit suspension.

They went through a phase with hydrolastic suspension in the 60's so maybe it was one of those she means.

My mother is 91 and has severe mobility issues. She finds my BMW the only car* in the immediate family she can get in and out of and, with the aid of a plastic bag on the front leather seat, she can swivel from a sideways entry to front facing (and vice versa).  She finds the ride from a big, lazy automatic very comfortable and quiet.  And there is room in the boot for her wheelchair too.  I commend it to the House.

* available cars:

Land Rover Discovery

VW polo

VW Golf (Plus) x2

and those in my autosig

Chevrolet Caprice:

post-20075-0-20881100-1467674258_thumb.jpeg

When the front seats of European cars are referred to as armchairs there's usually some level of exaggeration involved. Not so with the Caprice.

Or more sensibly:

post-20075-0-86691900-1467674544_thumb.jpg

The 9-5 is endowed with seats designed by orthopedic scientists, plenty of space and, by all accounts, a pretty decent ride/handling setup. Not bad for a Swedish Vectra.

The mother has back problems and drives solely autos so I know a little about this. I'd have suggested a Bini if you didn't already have one. Super friendly to the mother's back - as you've mentioned there's a lot of adjustment in the seats. One of the comfier small cars I've come across too, as sitting in the back is tolerable - only the aforementioned Civic is better for that. She likes the lumbar support on our A4 too, but it has sport seats and I don't know if run of the mill ones got lumbar (I'd wager not). Also, sitting in the back is a bit crap, early A4s are a bit like having a slow, stretched Audi TT. Two seater really unless someone pretty short is in the back.

I can recommend an E39 5 series, though.

Don't get a CVT, I've never heard of a modern one that doesn't grenade. Fiesta sad face, Honda Jazz, early Bini etc. Our neighbours went from a Pug 206 (they're oddly comfy too with velour - an ex-friend had one) to an early Jazz to a later Jazz to a mk2 Jazz, only to bin the last Jazz as it kept breaking and they were sick of them. They got a Yaris instead.

You'd need a 2007-on Bini or a Cooper S to find one with a proper autobox which probably puts them out of your budget.

The mother also liked her 2004 VW Polo, but I honestly can't recommend such an awful car to you. Also, Mercs were a no from her. 

Honda seats are some of the most comfortable, ive driven down to Cornwall from Northants in my Accord coupe and got out at the end absolutely fine, ive got a shagged back as well. Legend seats are mega as well as are Civic Type S and Civic coupe seats up till 2005 and the model change. Lexus are almost as comfortable in the RX, id imagine most Lexus seats are similar.

I find Rover 75 seats uncomfortable and also the insides are cramped and dark, cant sèe the fasination with them to be honest.

What ever you get make sure they are heated seats, works wonders on a back if your driving anywhere. I quite often drive round with the A/C on arctic and the heated seat on to keep my back supple.

Another vote for the omega here- both seats on my 2.2 cdx have lumbar support, height adjust and are heated, that and plush 90's velour as a bonus.

Bloody comfy old bus to punt around too, nice supple suspension and a decent autobox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get a CVT, I've never heard of a modern one that doesn't grenade....Honda Jazz

Those 2002-2008 SWRA boxes are fine with oil changes. It's the start clutches that sometimes judder because of lack oil changes. To say it grenades is like saying a manual gearbox is shite because the clutch is shagged.

to an early Jazz to a later Jazz to a mk2 Jazz, only to bin the last Jazz as it kept breaking and they were sick of them.

Honda in Friday afternoon car shocker! Loads of giffers can't be wrong*, I've heard of one other Jazz that grenaded its engine, but on the whole Honda probably make a Friday afternoon car once in a blue moon compare to some other manufacturers daily efforts.

Honda seats are some of the most comfortable

What I will say about Jazz GD seats is they are fucking uncomfortable (*maybe not for those of Japanese build). Best seats I've come across were Volvo 240, with some 300 series cars sharing similar frames. Isn't skattrd still trying to punt a 340 CVT? Job, jobbed.

Sorry if somebody has already mentioned this, but XMs are very nice to ride in. Then again it may be because I was out of it at the time and suffering from a minor head injury at the time, after deciding to test the strength of our bathroom tiles with the back of my head, but I remember being impressed.

My back is similarly fucked and I find the 75 seats (velour) to be very comfy indeed. The leather seats are lovely but seem much firmer. 

My friend has a very nice 75 auto diesel for sale which would fit the bill very well indeed. It is in the for sale section on here and he is open to offers. 

My back is similarly fucked and I find the 75 seats (velour) to be very comfy indeed. The leather seats are lovely but seem much firmer. 

My friend has a very nice 75 auto diesel for sale which would fit the bill very well indeed. It is in the for sale section on here and he is open to offers. 

:mrgreen: Here was me thinking AX might be mentioned  :mrgreen:

Volvo V70 had great seats as did early SAAB 99/900s. A strange one, old Merc 116 range don't 'feel' comfortable but after a few hours you are amazed at how little you ache. In my experience, Jaguar XJ range feel great initially then really hurt after a while as they are too soft. I will also vote for the Honda range as my Insight was really comfortable for extended periods.

Obviously I am also going to say: Bentley... but as running costs 'may' become an issue (within minutes of ownership) it may not be a sensible choice! However, seats are really firm and supportive, all ways adjustable, heated and a nice height to climb in and out of. Also, suspension (when working) is great and the active ride keeps them flat during 'spirited' cornering.

I like French cars for their suspension but I always find the seats too squashy so they initially feel great, then quickly aren't!