Tell me what is the MOST comfortable car for a passenger

New POD

Wifey, has the results of her MRI scan, and luckily she has not got MS. (which she'd convinced herself she had)

What she has got is :  fused vertebrae, multiple discs impinging on her spinal cord, and dehydrated discs.

Treatment is waiting to be called for 6 sessions of Physio-fferopy.

My astra (a 1.6 twinport sport mk4) is very uncomfortable for her as a passenger. 

as a aside: Long journeys also do my right leg in somewhat.

The sporty seat design does not help, and neither does the firm suspension and the 50 section tyres.

The MX5 seat design is not so bad, but the firm suspension over rough roads massages your back, so better if the road is smooth.  

The Bini, has infinitely adjustable seats, and is okay, but again rock hard.

None are automatics which might help her arm pains.

At present we are planning a weekend in Northumbria in 2 weeks, and will most likely go in the MX5, which is very noisy and tiring, especially with top up.

I'm thinking more long term - replace said Astra

So assuming you had a limited budget, to swap said astra what would you suggest ?

My brother in law had a Granada (last model) when I first had a slipped disc and it was great, loads of room and great ride (car wasn't bad either ;-) ) Then when it went the second time I had a Volvo 480 and I used to go and sit in that of an evening as it was the only seat I was comfy in. I bet big citreons would also be good.

I have back problems - I have found Volvo seats to be about the all-round best. Jaguar XJ6 seats are also pretty good, but the cars are low and difficult to climb in to for some people. They lack head room, which can be a problem for back pain sufferers.

I find BMW seats too hard, but the shape is basically good. Mercedes seats are instruments of torture for me.

Vauxhall Omega.

My dad has severe arthritis in his back and legs and is constantly in chronic pain. He needs an auto as driving a manual is painful and something comfortable and easy to get into and out of.

He's now onto his third, his old 02 plate 2.2 CD Auto will be up for grabs if it's of any use, I need to chuck an MOT on it but it will be fairly cheap.

Obviously any Jag, big Citroen,Volvo.Saab, Merc, Lexus etc as long as it hasn't got tyres any less than 50 profile tyres.

But , I seem to remember the Rover 75 being praised for its comfort when current, in fact it was about the only positive thing most tests had to say about it, there are at least 2 for sale here at any one time.

Strangely my Dad sent me an email today

I quote :

Dear Son,

I have seen a new Focus Estate in the local dealer's which I am considering buying.  I am having a test drive tomorrow.  I have requested a part-exchange price for the old one.  Are you still interested in it?  I will let you know what their offer is ASAP, so you can decide whether or not you want to match it.

Love, Dad.

Is it me, or is he being a tight arse ?

I have phoned him, and checked the value on WBAC (but not told him)

It's a 70K focus 1.8 TITanium estate in light blue, full history from new, probably got a small dent on the bumper, 10 reg. Cost him £18K - has recently had a clutch.  

But Manual. I may offer him a low offer and flog it on.

Worryingly I seem to have owned most of the cars as suggested above,

Most comy seats would probably have to be a 9-5 Aero (Normally heated as well)

I'd class the E38 as a smooth ride but but sporty

Overall the best ride would probably be the Xantia, just absorbs the bumps like no other car I've owned.

V6 Auto Xantia, and the economy is not that bad. 

Saab seats in a Xantia, now there is an idea.

Another vote for Saab seats here having had Saab and Volvo. But for ride, I find hydro pneumatic Citroens hard to beat - older the better as by the later ones they were catching the German disease.

Actually the seats that fitted my portly and lumbering frame best of all ever were in my Aldi A3, and they were very comfortable when stationary. On the move that car had the worst ride quality of anything I have ever owned, driven or ridden, by a long chalk.

I am another one who is going to suggest the Rover 75, I find the seats very comfortable in mine and pretty much everyone I have driven in it have commented on how comfortable it is (amongst many other good things).

As I am pretty young and don't have any serious problems with my back, I wouldn't know how easy it is to get in and out of; however as there are so many owners on here, somebody else might be able to give you a good idea of what it is like in that respect.

I've just re-read your original post.

Mini,MX5, Sporty Astra.

Wife with back issues, you with dodgy leg.

Get a grown ups car !

There's good reasons why many of us over 50 ( and the the sensible youngsters)drive automatic barges, just accept you're an old fart.

Any of the above suggestions, (with the exception of DW's,obviously)or possibly a Range Rover or Disco if the getting in and out is an issue.

Second the comment on the Rover 75 and the mk1 gonna. I've had both and they are both supremely comfortable.

Isn't there "one of us" with a mk1 Laguna for sale at this very moment, and not taxingly far from you...?  Calling Billy!

Agree with the comment on Omegas - very comfy things. Same goes for Audi 100s/A6<'97. Saabs used to be wonderfully comfy, too - the 900s (Saab ones, not the Vauxhall things) didn't have anti-roll bars, which cause huge strains on the back and neck when one side of the road does something different from the other.

Ignoring the desire for cheapness, then Cit DS, CX, GS, Ami, Dyane or 2cv. The old Mercedes estates were pretty comfy too, what with the Citroën rear suspension and long-travel coils on the front. Bad backs often hate stiff anti-roll bars, so Xantias may not be so clever. The V70 (Mk1) in the family is more comfy overall under 80 than a Xantia, probably because of decent seats and less rock-roll. 

Most chassis from the 90s onwards seem to have been designed with race-tracks in mind rather than covering ground at speed on B roads. They're not only uncomfortable, but often slower from A-B if you're in a hurry.

Find a 3 door 95-01 Honda Civic auto (I recommend a late 1.4iSE) with a little-used rear bench, take the  front passenger headrest out and put the seat as far forward as it'll go, one in the front and one in the back. 

Never had a more comfortable car for long journeys.