Independence Day Collection: Volvo Content

BorniteIdentity

So. Having waved the Sierra onto an amateur trader who sold me some shit, it was time to get something else before my wife misunderstood my intentions and assumed a fleet reduction programme was underway.

Thanks to Trig for posting this up on the tat thread earlier in the week. I'd already had conversations with a guy about a later car advertised on Car and Classic, and that did look nice. But there was just something beguiling about the little 343.

Anyway got collected from Melton Mowbray station by the seller who was a very pleasant chap. He's always had Volvo's and, judging by the Series III Jag on his driveway, also likes interfering with chod.

It's a charming little car. 8,100 miles on the clock and it's absolutely genuine. The engine is just beautiful.

8b96a4181f2097ba54006dff2dae8c89.jpg

A quick look over the car revealed the blebs mentioned in the eBay advert... all around the windscreen as normal. It's solid metal, just bubbling. I will get onto that asap... in the meantime I'm considering putting a dehumidifier in the garage!

The vario arrangement is a curiosity but nothing more. It's just like a slipping clutch on a manual box. It's quite clear why it didn't take off - it's noisy and a bit counterintuitive.

Vendor took me to get petrol which, on reflection, allowed him a chance to show me the car's positives whilst disguising it's weaknesses. It squeaks on take off and the noise is coming from the back. Gear selection is a bit odd... I've managed to grind it a couple of times. It's getting easier so might just be an idiosyncrasy of the box.

The wheels are from a later car but, unashamedly, I like them. They were always my favourite wheel for the 300. They've all been completely refurbished and shod in new rubber. The steelies are in the boot and also have new tyres all around.

f19e064a7011c4df6a79776338b3d8d5.jpg

There are some nice touches around the car...

8582677fe0f4be9fb70e54cd0a5a8be1.jpg

7a47a9c4d9473a31371440935b652ccc.jpg

...and all in all it's a lovely old thing. Interior is box fresh, with just a tiny tear to one door card and the sunroof seal to be replaced. This was thrown in by the seller even though it cost him £120.

I need to get the squeal checked as a matter of urgency, otherwise it's just drive and smile.

71dd7550bde087eb712dd11c4990fc02.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That looks lovely, and by far the earliest I've seen for a long time.

Gear selection is a bit odd... I've managed to grind it a couple of times. It's getting easier so might just be an idiosyncrasy of the box.

I don't understand this.

You push the button in and put it in D, then go, that's it, or am I missing something?

I was told never to use the choke or rev the engine in P, as it'll cook the clutch.

That looks lovely, and by far the earliest I've seen for a long time.

I don't understand this.

You push the button in and put it in D, then go, that's it, or am I missing something?

I was told never to use the choke or rev the engine in P, as it'll cook the clutch.

Trying to get it in reverse earlier caused a lot of noise. Like when you don't engage a manual clutch fully. I think maybe I'd not actually engaged the gear properly.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Read these:

http://www.volvo300mania.com/uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3803

http://www.volvo300mania.com/uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12314

Check belts for condition.

Nylon bush probably shagged on the selector rod or out of adjustment causing grinding:

http://www.volvo300mania.com/uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=8815&p=122415&hilit=delrin#p122415 (see third post down)

Plenty of vacuum hoses to perish or leak.