MG6 killed.

rovamota

Guest Lord Sward

The engine (Kunming Yunnei diesel, probably a titivated G Series) was rough as houses but it pulled well and was pretty frugal; best I got was about 52mpg.

PLEASE!  Its definitely no G-series, that was smooth in both 8 and 16v formats.  

Its a Chinese block, but with all the detailing and intricate castings done in the UK.  Bizzarely, MG UK weren't allow to talk about its British Content.

Fuelling was done by the Germans I believe.

Chassis was a UK affair, but I think the budget for tuning it from the ultralight K series to heavy Barton-DERV lump was limited. Sadly it also needed an inferior PAS set-up.

PLEASE!  Its definitely no G-series, that was smooth in both 8 and 16v formats.  

Its a Chinese block, but with all the detailing and intricate castings done in the UK.  Bizzarely, MG UK weren't allow to talk about its British Content.

Fuelling was done by the Germans I believe.

Chassis was a UK affair, but I think the budget for tuning it from the ultralight K series to heavy Barton-DERV lump was limited. Sadly it also needed an inferior PAS set-up.

'probably.'

Hang on - what?  The heavy pig-iron bits were done in the UK, shipped to China, nailed into a car, then sent SKD back to the UK for the bumpers and badges to be slapped on in a shed off Lowhill Lane B31?

That makes Chrysler UK's 70s supply chain look almost sensible.

Development on the castings was done here if memory serves.

Partly built cars were then sent here and received final assembly at Longbridge.

Having never done the factory tour, I'm not sure whether or not the semi built 6s had engines in them or not when they arrived from Pukou.

What about the pez one? Is it k-series powered? Do they use the uprated HG (and therefore make it less prone to 'the usual') or does it kettle itself all the time?

Pez MG6s used a development of a development of the K called the Kavachi.

Guest Lord Sward

It may not have been a G Series, rumour had it off a couple of bods close to SAIC that the D19 was a heavily reworked G Series.

Given that none were ever released, I'm a bit confused how you ended up having a go of one.

I have a few friends that were senior engineers, Austin Apprentices, Field Engineers and the like.  

The bench mark for the G-series was M47 and FIATs JTD.  I never drove one, but it was talked about extensively before and after it went tits-up.  The old L-series is now in India.  But I was privy to the JTD lump.

Guest Lord Sward

What about the pez one? Is it k-series powered? Do they use the uprated HG (and therefore make it less prone to 'the usual') or does it kettle itself all the time?

Petrol was a modified K-series built with new tooling.  The 1.5 engine in the MG3 is a K-series relation. There is no known Head gasket issue stemming from a design fault that I'm aware of.

Guest Lord Sward

Development on the castings was done here if memory serves.

Partly built cars were then sent here and received final assembly at Longbridge.

Having never done the factory tour, I'm not sure whether or not the semi built 6s had engines in them or not when they arrived from Pukou.

Pez MG6s used a development of a development of the K called the Kavachi.

The engines were stuffed-up here.

Castings for the derv and some bearings for the K-series were sent out from here to be assembled into an engine in China, then posted back as a created unit.  The line monkeys then added dubious build quality for the 'heritage' effect.

I don't mind them, a mate has one and it seems a reasonable enough place to be, and he's not had any bother with it.

Mind numbingly anonymous looking though. Given how much worse the already stratospheric depreciation will get after this news, I can see sub-£1k on the horizon. At that point I'll be giving one a go.

Guest Lord Sward

I must say, You've changed your tune Sward, You used to love them.

Future of the British motor industry you said.

I went to Longbridge cash in hand for one when they discontinued the petrol 6s, last spring.  Then I realised they were shite.  I still quite fancy one though.  

My dad hated his TSE Magnettie.

PS, I genuinely hoped they'd take off and be good.  I'm bitterly disappointed.

I do know a chap who has one, he's a big MG fan and got very defensive when I asked if he'd had any problems with it.  Apparently it had been 'perfect' with not a single problem, he's still driving it 18 months later so it must be doing something right.  A local Ford dealer here has started selling MGs recently, I've seen a couple of 3's around (one of which is the dealer demonstrator) but they don't seem to be flying out of the door.

I can see sub-£1k on the horizon. At that point I'll be giving one a go.

With the number they've actually managed to find homes for, minus the ones which have been written off I think you and I might have to take turns with the last one left!

G series 8v cars exist in the wild as development cars were sold off after the collapse of 2005 so it's entirely possible to drive one although it's probably not got a production calibration in its management system. The 16v never got past the design stage. However I'm sure in India the 8v g series is alive and well.

I don't think the 3 engine is in any way related to the k series at all even though they reworked the k for the mg6 and solved the issues with it such as making the block stiffer with extra ribs on the casting.

Randomly the other day I saw pictures of a 1.1 kseries from a rover 100 after it had been removed and it had the same block design only this was much older so maybe mg rover had the idea first?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got meetings in Longbridge tomorrow - pretty much where the North Works used to be.  I could pop round the corner and see if they've got any brochures left.

;)

Bear in mind the last time I went there, we'd returned an MG3 we'd lent for the week and none of the staff had realised it had gone.

I'd stuff a bit of the Elephant House into your bag and walk out whistling the tune to Tetris.