Sign in to follow this  
vulgalour

Renault Mini 4S. It's a Uruguay thing.

A bit of an odd one.  I'm up very late which seems to be prime weird car finding time.  From the internet: " In Uruguay, a special model designed and mounted, this is the 4S (S as Special, I suppose!) Because it is a 4L two doors with safety! 2 door, 4 windows for 2 seats and the tailgate changed against a small safe. Who knows why?"

renault-mini-4s-del-71_1.jpg

13975578967_9dc328a135_o.jpg

Mini-4S-copy.jpg

Renault_Mini_4S_(1971)_(3).JPG

big-51754927a4.jpg?v=6

Mini-06.jpg

img-5177560975.jpg?v=6

13974810330_ecd092fd97_o.jpg

I suppose it answers the question nobody asked of what a Renault 4 coupé would look like.

From here: http://boitierrouge.com/2015/12/18/renault-4s-mini-la-quatrelle-inconnue/

"Renault was of course distributed in Uruguay, first by the company Abal Enrique y Cia, then from 1962 by a new distributor / assembler, Santa Rosa Automotores. And the bosses of the new company had a brilliant idea: to overcome the very high tariffs on imported finished products, including automobiles, they would become a constructor in its own right. The trick? The tax applied only being on finished products, Santa Rosa then began to buy IKA-Renault utilities during assembly, chassis and parts to create his own version of the R4: the Mini (or 4S )."

(I'm using Google Translate because my French is still rougher than Artex)

@mrjaydeeem over on Twitter linked me to a tiny little bit of info and I'm only sharing it because it's a freaking GEOCITIES link: http://www.geocities.ws/richardirl/uruguay4.htm

I mean really, Geocities! I wonder if he found it on Lycos or through another Geocities web-ring?

@mrjaydeeem over on Twitter linked me to a tiny little bit of info and I'm only sharing it because it's a freaking GEOCITIES link: http://www.geocities.ws/richardirl/uruguay4.htm

I mean really, Geocities! I wonder if he found it on Lycos or through another Geocities web-ring?

When the internetz was good. In the 90's most search results you got took you to personal pages like this. I miss.

....'poop-de-ville'(vile??) version of the R4....

....pic 4 has the 'buttress style coupe' approach, N I lobe that bootlid design; looks like the basdardised top of a toolbox....its just such foresighted genius in design really...