Gutted - NOT a good day.....

mhrallye

Glad you came away relatively unscathed. If he had been going any faster it may have been a different outcome. Hope you get it sorted one way or another. My mum was hit in her 10 year old cmax about a month ago on the motorway. The guy wasn't concentrating and didn't see the cars had stopped ahead. I think he may have been on his phone. She had very slight whiplash and the car had slight damage front and rear as he pushed her into the car in front. The guy who hit her admitted fault and it was all dealt with by his insurer. She got a good payout for her car and bought it back off them fairly cheaply. Also a hire car. The insurer paid for her to go to a private physio but after a couple of sessions she said she was OK. To her surprise she received a cheque last week for £1200. She didn't ask for and wasn't expecting anything. Sounds like you should be getting £2k plus for injuries alone.

Hope whatever injuries you have from the TT driving maniac, aren't serious n heal well...

...from being an occasional 'mk1/vw/licker' myself- I know that the front panel is going to particularly hard to source; the local to me chap that bought my blue mk1 van, also had a jetta mk1 with a rusty n frilly front panel 'on his to do list' for a few years- it was an otherwise good rust free car - he couldn't source a new front panel, so I put him in touch another mate of mine who  had an very early, n rare jetta - a GL series1 1300 petrol; he had no documents for the car; having bought it from a scrapyard...anyways that car was bought for its front n rear panel...

I don't know much about the availability of  parts for these car in UK, but here, rear tail-lamps/bumpers/grille's n headlamps can exchange hands for big money....

Jetta front wings n front panel differ from their Golf cousins, having a lip type spoiler....

South African front panels differ a lot from the originals; in terms of front end; from 1990/1991 on, the south African mk1 citi'golf was 'facelifted' by sloping down the front edge of the front wings to accommodate a 'mk2 golf style' front  grille n 'big bumpers'....Ive broken one of these myself, that swam over in its past...

post-18130-0-56708100-1465258562_thumb.jpg

Let me know if you need a hand sourcing parts in Germany. It's surprising what's still availible, I just got a brand new off the shelf jacking point for a mk1 Punto no probs and parts for German cars are obviously even more plentiful. It looks like there are still  even new parts availible for the Jetta I (16) which I assume is yours:

http://www.teilehaber.de/itm/kotfluegel-vorne-rechts-van-wezel-5810220-src526233.html#description

http://www.teilehaber.de/itm/kotfluegel-src3683006.html

Well so far I haven't heard anything from the insurance - been to the dentist though to get my tooth fixed so the bills are starting to mount towards compensation! I still don't know if I want the car back to fix up myself or not - my "mojo" seems to have deserted me.....right now I feel pretty sick of cars.....

As many of you have pointed out front end parts for these cars are few and far between - it would almost be easier to rebuild it with a golf front end as you can get most if not all the parts off the shelf!

The other thing is the knowledge that If I do get it fixed I will be paranoid about driving it in case the same thing happens again thanks to some other cockwand driving like a twat - makes me want to buy an old landrover with the biggest bullbar possible on the front....

well nothing from the insurance today - but the brand manager of my dealer did invite me in for a chat having heard of my accident - In our other branch we have a very low mileage mk2 golf gti which was "inherited" when the dealership was bought over - the conversation today went along the lines of that the car was mine for a reasonable amount IF I wanted it  his parting remark was "see what you can find out about what it would be worth and we can come to some arrangement"! to be honest this was a bit unexpected but I have expressed interest in the future of this car before so regardless of what happens with the jetta I would be a fool to turn down a car like this - we'll see!

I can't add a lot to this other than more sympathy (especially on top of what happened before to your B3 80), shared anger at the Audi shithead, good wishes for appropriate justice and a bit of excitement at the prospect of a nice Mk2 for not too much (hopefully).

As dieselnutjob has pointed out the jetta is probably worth a fair amount in parts or selling as a project if I get it back - had loads of good bits on it that i had added over the years plus good rust -fee panels, glass, interior, doors, bootlid, bonnet, fuel tank, dash, instrument panel and an good engine and gearbox which had only covered 62,000 miles! I would kind of hate to break it but if the parts were going to a good home keeping other mk1's on the road it would be worth it - plus would make it pay for replacing it with another interesting car!

Yes, my old audi - that car is unkillable - the "cockroach" of the motoring world - and now by default my only car.....But to be honest one of the best cars I have ever owned - I would happily drive it anywhere and know it would make it and get 50 mpg into the bargain! not many 25 year old cars you can say that about - not the fastest form of transport but very comfortable and in the case of my "se" version fairly well equipped - feels almost modern sometimes....except it doesn't breakdown at the least sign of a "software" fault!

Lots depends on the category of write off IIRC. I had a similar experience back in the day. It was a Cat C write off - but I bought the salvage and several months (and a VIC check) later it was back on the road. Definitely worth doing for a rare car.

Main thing is that you are relatively unscathed...

Well today i just noticed that the insurance has sent me an e-mail (don't know why they just didn't phone?) Anyway surprise,surprise my car has been examined by an "engineer" and has been declared a write-off! What the e-mail also said was can i give a figure of how much i think it was worth and more worryingly can i send or scan a copy of my v5 to them??

For starters i'm NOT impressed by the lack of communication - no phone call - what's that all about? And why do they need a copy of my v5 - i'm not happy!

They still haven't said whether the other party has accepted liability or not so i'm starting to get worried.....

Think i will start with a few questions of my own - like where is MY car right now? Why do you need my v5? Anybody got any good ideas? Don't want to end up getting shafted!

I will be sending him links to ebay cars that i have seen for sale - whether this does any good or no we'll soon find out!

It went to cop art when the AA man told you it was off from the recovery agent to their "assessment centre". Absolute tosh.

When a Mini my now ex was driving was killed by a taxi on the A96, it went to James Ferries first. The insurance company wanted it moved to their "assessment centre" but I pointed out the car was still mine and had it recovered to my house.

The assessor then came to me to check it over and write it off. I then took the money minus the sell back fee.

Good luck with getting your things back from them. Remember as has been said, the car is yours until you agree to the figures from the insurance company.

What does the small print say? Once an insurer gets their mitts on a vehicle, it's more hassle/cost getting it back. I always tend to let it be a driveway ornament back at the house if I've any intention of keeping it. Last crash I organised my own recovery and had it recovered back to the house. Other insurer got the bill for that.

I hope it isn't too late to recover it. Even if it is sitting in a Copart years, can Mhrallye still get it back?

If you are the owner (have proof of ownership)  and some company has your property then contact them and tell them to return it at their expense or you'll report it stolen to the police. Include the name of the chief exec (Google is sometimes your friend) and any out of pocket expenses will be claimed from him/her/they via this method   https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

It seems to work well if you find their Fasearse page and word it as a "comment" adding any public available information like the chief exec's name and official company address, but do not post the vehicle or your contact details as they will try and contact you ex-Facearse and you need you have control over the process.

PS. Castros_bro   Somepeeps have Facearse account which does not use the name on their gas bill. 

This might be handy:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00929621/officers

I use this at work all the time. It's a list of company report and accounts for all UK companies and on the tab marked officers, there is a list of all the key people, sometimes with home addresses!

As far as Copart is concerned, Aaron Adair seems to be the current CEO. They made £11.7m operating profit last year so can probably afford to give MH his car back

Thanks for the help - i'm a a loss with this! There is NO WAY they are getting a copy of anything until I get a few answers like:-

1. Has the other party accepted liability?

2. Why do they require my V5?

3. Where exactly is MY car at the moment?

Also If they have "inspected" the car then in theory it should be returned to me or a place of MY choosing - like some of you have said until a final settlement the car belongs to me - and which I am still paying tax/insurance for something I cannot use!

I do like the idea of reporting it as stolen as a "threat" against them to get their finger out but i'll keep it as a last resort.....

Like some of you say this could go on for months if the other insurance company do not cough up and it winds up going to court - god knows what would happen to the jetta sitting in some yard - doesn't bear thinking about....