Gutted - NOT a good day.....

mhrallye

Update time - Well I finally heard back from the insurance about how much it would cost to buy back the jetta - £1433! plus they stated to re-insure it would require an engineers report IF i managed to repair it and get it back ready for the road - needless to say i'm out....it's a shame that things had to end this way for it but anybody interested should keep an eye out on the copart website as i'm sure that it will appear on there one day.....still a good car mechanically and with a bit of repairing would be a decent example again.

The only good thing to come out of this(if losing a car is a good thing!) is that I am now the proud owner of a nice mk2 golf gti!

attachicon.gifIMAG0709.jpg

Finally got the keys and paperwork today - it's like a new car inside and out - going to wait till friday to tax it and bring it to its new home...attachicon.gifIMAG0726.jpg

And a mere 36319miles on the clock - it's a nice place to sit - brings back a lot of memories of my previous mk2's....attachicon.gifIMAG0724.jpg

And of course there is the "bonus" scirocco - now with a years mot!

attachicon.gifIMAG0700.jpg

Needs minor fettling to get it to a standard I will be happy with but otherwise it's good to go - shame I can't keep this as well but space (and money) means it will have to go.....pity!

In other news the Arnold Clark takeover is in full swing - tomorrow is effectively the last day of my dealership - seem such a shame that it has been built up from scratch by basically two guys to becoming a highly successful operation until the last year or two when the current owner couldn't compete with the larger operators - the way of the world I suppose.....

Pardon my French, but they're having a fucking laugh with the 'buy back' price. I work for an insurance company, and will usually defend them, but that sounds they're dicking you about.  

Well to be honest it does seem like a lot for a smashed 33 year old car - I was expecting nearer £500 but to be perfectly honest it would be a lot of work to bring the jetta back from the dead anyway - lack of time and money would have eventually have seen it broken for spares and I would have hated to do that myself seeing all my work over the years trying to make it a good example gone to pot - hopefully someone out there will snap it up and either restore it to it's former glory or break it to keep other old cars on the road - a shame either way!

As for the gti that will become my new "daily" despite some people I know saying I should just park it up in a garage and not use it I plan to make the most of it - YOLO!

I've not followed every single post in this thread so I might have missed it but why do you have to pay to get your own car back?

I know once you've been paid out the car belongs to the insurance but what are they going to do with a old VW others than leave it in the scrappers?

All seems a bit a bit stupid and a waste really

Get that scirocco stanced, banded, pineappled and sticker bombed and put it on eBay and it'll be worth literally hundreds!!

I once killed a mk2 golf.

Story goes like this.......

In 1990 I worked for a Saab dealership in Leeds as the "service driver" going to collect customers cars and bring them back for service.

Nice job for a 21yr old, driving premium brand cars.

Anyhoo, one day I was tasked to go collect a 900 from selby, a few miles outside Leeds in an immaculate E reg GTi, quite a hoot down the lanes compared to my 1.3 marina!!

A few miles away from selby the oil light/buzzer came on, stopped and checked level, all good.

Dropped car off and left the key with the customer advising the oil issue and after contacting the service manager, told the customer it was good to use.

Next day, back to selby to return the 900.

Back in GTi no oil buzzer.

Clogged it back towards Leeds along a nice straight bit of road I decided to see what it'd do!

The rev counter dropped to zero and the engine cut out.

A passing farmer stopped to help and tried to tow start me but the wheels just locked up, not good, anyway, he took me to his farm to ring the dealership and they said they'd sort out getting me recovered.

TWO HOURS LATER a salesman came to collect me and leave the car where it was.

Turns out the customer used it to go to Wakefield and got annoyed by the buzzer and disconnected the sender wire!

Apparently the oil pump had packed up.

Collection next day of a car with every window smashed, all lights smashed and the radio gone.

It ended up been bridged after a replacement S/H engine was fitted along with all the glass.

I've not followed every single post in this thread so I might have missed it but why do you have to pay to get your own car back?

I know once you've been paid out the car belongs to the insurance but what are they going to do with a old VW others than leave it in the scrappers?

All seems a bit a bit stupid and a waste really

They go to copart to be sold to recover at least some of the costs.

They really didn't want you to buy that back did they? Wonder if they've actually scrapped it and don't want to admit it.

Two years ago I was offered my rear ended 5 year old Chrysler 300 for £1200, that was after a £8,500 payout, I didn't buy it but a mate who's yard it was being stored took it in lieu of storage and recovery. He fixed it for about a grand then sold it for £6k. Still kicking myself!

Bloody hell they don't hang about! looks like it's still running - in one of the pics of the dash its idling - at the time of the accident I didn't open the bonnet - looking at how badly the front end is mangled i'm sort of glad I didn't......the lower front panel is/was touching the fan on the alternator!

The car does have a "secret" immobiliser in the shape of a second heated rear window switch - it kills the feed to the coil - I'm just imagining the hilarity the day the new owner is driving and notices it - then switches it off - along with the engine.........!

I do notice they state on there its estimated retail value - guess it must help prospective punters get an idea what its worth fixed up?

Going to keep an eye on this - if it stays low (doubt it!) might have a stab myself.....

In other news tomorrow is going to be interesting - firstly my "new" gti will be coming home (yay!) and secondly arnold clark officially take over the dealership where I work...things are going to get interesting real soon!

I see copart have a reserve on it. Be interesting to see what it is. I've got to say, despite you losing your beloved car, you done alright out of it. The insurance company were decent enough to give you a top payout considering you didn't have an agreed value. As for the damage to the front, I'd be surprised if anyone buys it to repair it. I'm imagining the O/S chassis leg is pushed down and over, the inner wing will be trashed, plus other potential damage around the strut area. Let's hope the old girl goes on to help other Jettas stay alive.