Gutted - NOT a good day.....

mhrallye

Well I still have to wait for the other parties insurer to agree that this is ok - probably why zenith, my insurer uses an independent engineer to get valuations - leaves no leeway for the other company to argue!

Like you've said £3500 is not too bad - obviously it doesn't get my car back but I could still negotiate it's return (and possible breakage) to get some more out of it plus if/when I get some compensation for other items (doctor/dentist) plus loss of use then this should help - which brings me to the scirocco, today I was offered it as part of a "package deal" with this:-

post-3811-0-58382000-1466517871_thumb.jpg

a very late mk2 GTI with a mere 36000 on the clock!

Needless to say the car is mint and is therefore worth a few quid - I wont tell you the price I've been told but its a fair amount - the scirroco would come as part of this which I would probably sell to recoup some cash on the golf - always wanted one since having a few before - too good to pass up?

Ah right fair enough. I am not exactly a hardcore dubber lol. The one VW I have driven/owned is a Corrado VR6 and that seems to drive well for being a mishmash of Golf & Passat running gear so I just assumed the Sirocco would be a similar situation.

I managed to test drive a VR6 Corrado once, engine blew :shock: . Would love a 16v one sometime but, as with golfs, they are climbing fast in value

Another update - my insurance co has just been on the phone with the a value of £3700! basically all I have to do is agree via return e-mail then the amount will be bacs into my account directly - I forgot to ask about buying the jetta back though - I will later on when I reply.

The scirocco I don't really want as such - at least not as much as I would like the golf but like you say anything 80's is rocketing in value lately - I'm sure I could find it a good home - even if it is a 1.6 auto it goes ok - needs a bit of fettling and a service but could make someone a nice daily driver or show car - something a bit different than the rows of mk1 golfs that you usually see at shows.

The worry I have here is that yes, you may get a nice payout, but without a confirmed liability, this could still be counting against you. S'pose it doesn't really matter, as the worst this is going to be is a knock-for-knock, just bear in mind the impact it might have come renewal time. I do agree that it sounds an excellent valuation though. Nice to know they don't always take the piss.

Yes It could count against me but I think regardless of what happens in an accident even if it is not your fault they still consider you "higher risk" - this happened to my other half - hers went up even though her accident was a simple low speed shunt - anyway it looks like I would be daft not to so will be giving my yay or nay tomorrow morning - to be honest I think it will be yay....anybody want to buy a low mileage scirocco??

Seems like a reasonable payout. In my claim ( Citroen cx Pallas hit head on in France in 2001 ) the insurance first offered £500. I said it was worth more than that after the accident and countered with a valuation from my garage at £7500 and similar cars for sale from £3000 to £8000.plus the value I gave at the outset of the insurance having paid £4000 for it two years earlier and then spent another £2500 on bodywork, tyres and servicing.

I got £4000 in the end plus my excess back and no fault attributed ( bloody Frenchman in a scenic drove on the left round a blind bend!). Still killed the last uk registered ( 1984 on an E reg) Citroen cx series one though. Bitter, me? Hell Yes after 15 years.

Don't bank on the 'rocco being worth much if you get forced to take it on, even with a fresh ticket it probably wouldn't fetch much more than a grand IMO, maybe £750 for a quick sale?

They're deffo the least loved dubshite, which is odd as I've had one and they're pretty good.

Auto not a selling point either.

The worry I have here is that yes, you may get a nice payout, but without a confirmed liability, this could still be counting against you. S'pose it doesn't really matter, as the worst this is going to be is a knock-for-knock, just bear in mind the impact it might have come renewal time. I do agree that it sounds an excellent valuation though. Nice to know they don't always take the piss.

had 3 no fault claims in 6 months years back, my insurance went up regardless, other wise they wouldn't ask, questions like have you had an accident in the last 5 years regardless of fault.

a very late mk2 GTI with a mere 36000 - always wanted one since having a few before - too good to pass up?

Not something that will keep happening so I'd say yes, too good to pass up !

I'd be wary of such a low mileage not having had much replaced right enough, original is good but very original not so much sometimes..

It's been getting work done recently to get it back to life - new brakes and rear calipers plus a load of other work - should have a fresh mot when I get it - it's currently in our stirling branch so if/when I say yes it will be brought down to bathgate for me - this of course needs to happen before Arnold takes over at the end of the month of course....

As for the scirocco the plan is to get it mot'ed and ready for the road - does run and everything works - except for the rad fan which looks like a faulty switch - so this will be sold to recoup some money plus much as I would like to keep it like most of us I don't have the room!

I do realise it's not the best spec - i.e. a 1.6 auto but it is low mileage as well (44000 I think) and it seems that anything 80's with a vw badge seems to be worth more than the sum of it's parts - look at my jetta, this was a lowly 1.3 base model booted hatch in an odd colour yet still seemingly worth over £3500! I would like it to go to a good home though, anybody that turns up with a pineapple and some nitromors will be discouraged!!

I can tell you for free, it can only be bad.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!  I worked for a firm that was taken over.  TUPE regulations were supposed to apply for 6 months, but the moment that time was up, our terms started changing, and none of it was good for the blokes on the floor.  I firmly believe that takeovers, or indeed any aspect of business, can only work if you're a senior director.

Yep, same thing happened to me, the company taking us over weaseled out of everything good we used to get from the original company. For example we used to get private health care for the whole family, they tried changing this to just the person employed, this caused such an uproar they settled on private health care for the whole family but now with a £50 excess. We lost our good pension. We had a bonus scheme were you could get 0-10% every year, but everyone always got 10%, the company that took us over asked us to sign a new contract with a 6.63% pay rise but no bonus, so basically a 3.33% pay cut. When we said we're not going to sign that, they came back with "remember we decide your yearly bonus now". So we had to choose between a 10% or 3.33% pay cut. 

It backfired on them though as when they bought us they bought us for our technical expertise, however they annoyed us so much that within a year half of the workforce including me had quit.

Meanwhile the section head got a promotion within the new company!

Update time - Well I finally heard back from the insurance about how much it would cost to buy back the jetta - £1433! plus they stated to re-insure it would require an engineers report IF i managed to repair it and get it back ready for the road - needless to say i'm out....it's a shame that things had to end this way for it but anybody interested should keep an eye out on the copart website as i'm sure that it will appear on there one day.....still a good car mechanically and with a bit of repairing would be a decent example again.

The only good thing to come out of this(if losing a car is a good thing!) is that I am now the proud owner of a nice mk2 golf gti!

post-3811-0-74338800-1467229688_thumb.jpg

Finally got the keys and paperwork today - it's like a new car inside and out - going to wait till friday to tax it and bring it to its new home...post-3811-0-42683000-1467230049_thumb.jpg

And a mere 36319miles on the clock - it's a nice place to sit - brings back a lot of memories of my previous mk2's....post-3811-0-62202100-1467230186_thumb.jpg

And of course there is the "bonus" scirocco - now with a years mot!

post-3811-0-83997300-1467230293_thumb.jpg

Needs minor fettling to get it to a standard I will be happy with but otherwise it's good to go - shame I can't keep this as well but space (and money) means it will have to go.....pity!

In other news the Arnold Clark takeover is in full swing - tomorrow is effectively the last day of my dealership - seem such a shame that it has been built up from scratch by basically two guys to becoming a highly successful operation until the last year or two when the current owner couldn't compete with the larger operators - the way of the world I suppose.....