Scimitat - Whats the damage?

SamR380

Haven't a clue about these things but is there anything you can do with heat wrap to reduce the fuel issue? Also it does sound like a TB3 ( - the big three power cables being replaced with something larger ) may be useful.

I could be smoking crack here but does the air intake on the carb not have a vacuum actuator , which moves to a warm air or cold air position depending on if you're starting it or driving normally?

It could be the actuator is stuck in the warm air position so it's pulling hot air from around the exhaust and causing it to vapour lock.

001.jpg

002.jpg

This was mine, until my now sadly late friend Roland from Germany decided it's his and drove off with it.
It was a manual non-overdrive with the ultra-rare electric windows option.
I'd so love to have another one, but please in Viktoria Modesta spec. Sadly SE5 and PAS is mutually exclusive.

• 4 weeks later...

Been running this daily for a while so I've ironed out a few issues.

Probably the most pressing issue day to day was the occasional FTP and constant inability to start when hot, due to fuel vaporisation. Apparently it's a common problem which makes sense as the fuel lines travel between the exhaust manifold and the hot water pipe.

1Wfy1Uo.jpg

Solved with space age technology. Problem completely fixed without having to resort to electric pumps etc...

FZygpl0.jpg

Next problem, it was a bit leaky. Luckily I've had plenty chance to sit in it in the rain and found the leaks. Not the Webasto thankfully! The silicone that held the pane in had shrunk to leave a gap and water had been leaking through capillary style.

B0FbM6x.jpg

On4LzBS.jpg

Little holes around the pan where the rear seats fit, for drainage? They seem to let water in rather than out though and are probably the reason the belt buckles and bolts are rusty.

ViOblFT.jpg

Taped up, I'm going to need new lap straps for the back though.

XRYFlG1.jpg

Drainage holes only seem to work in reverse in this car, naturally when you need them to drain they don't. I got underneath and gave it a little poke...

4TeLaft.jpg

While I was under there I noticed I'd got myself another little bonus, 400 quids worth of stainless tank!

mkTB78D.jpg

There's been plenty more but I'll leave just one more cautionary tale for now... When trying to freshen up the old gear gaiter I was getting nowhere with the various highly recommended leather products I have. I decided I'd give it a little steam to open up the grain so I could get some moisture back in there from the leather conditioner.

HUuuz6j.jpg

Turns out - don't do it! It shrunk to about half the size and then went rock hard. Oh well... you live and learn.

nkIzY73.jpg

Did princess Anne have an SD1?

Yes she did. When my son's school was re-opened by Princess Anne in about 1987, all the local big-wigs were waiting out the front of the school for the official car to arrive. HRH drove around the back of the school, unnoticed in her SD1, and spent some time with the kids before cutting the ribbon etc.

My Dad's Mk1 Granada had the fuel evaporation issue - the pump (in the same location) had a glass bowl.  He used to pour cold water on it when it happened.

Hot rodders like Scimitars when you're done with 'em as the chassis is separate and so can form the basis for 30's Ford based hotrod without a lot of hassle from the DVLA/VOSA.

Here's one example from the blue - 

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/100857/1974-scimitar-hot-rod-project