scdan4

V70 retirement acres. Tired and emotional Tdi.

Neither did I till I saw it on the bay. It’s odd, I have no interest in a Xc but this is right up my street. We do tow an event trailer with it, so we do quite a lot of towing across wet grass. Never been stuck before, but awd will give a bit of piece of mind. 😊

Not sure what fluid you've used in the geartronic box, but make sure it's JWS3309 'compliant' , as they are fussy gearboxes.

Old Derv V70 - Hope you get her sorted, my cam & crank seals have just started weeping (insert sad face)

On 6/1/2019 at 3:11 PM, scdan4 said:

. But it’s worth remembering it’s done near a quarter of a million miles, so something related or nearby that’s been disturbed is definitely still a possibility. . 

372A02F3-7E73-4F36-96B4-976901B50F8E.thumb.jpeg.f9655638143faa75233a59373ad8558d.jpeg

B190CEDB-061F-41EA-A32B-010D955F21A2.thumb.jpeg.67bee85aaad62342e312bbebade98f31.jpeg

1E160412-193E-4C91-9425-ADFF17207686.thumb.jpeg.4ebced28f08220e7b90b589a4341742b.jpeg

On 6/1/2019 at 7:04 PM, Minimad5 said:

Not sure what fluid you've used in the geartronic box, but make sure it's JWS3309 'compliant' , as they are fussy gearboxes.

1CFFF99F-DBA0-4708-8208-E49D33277ABE.thumb.jpeg.47c0956ea9df42514fccbd07b6b026ca.jpeg

oh yes. 28 litres total. If that doesn’t sort it out it will be off to Bristol transmissions. Plan A was to learn I up on box rebuilding on it, whilst the Throbber provided safe reliable transportation for all the family. But that’s gone out the window.

On 6/1/2019 at 8:57 PM, sutty2006 said:

Ohhh heck...... 

Indeed. 

I seem to remember reading that the tyres on these have to be within a few mm of each other or else the transmission suffers really badly.

Post number 6 in the link below explains it better than I could.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=194663

3 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Wtf, the tops of the valves have come off?

The tops of lots of buckets have yes. They are wafer thin.

We think...Getting the timing bang on with the cambelt change raised the cylinder pressures enough that a lunar tappet bucket decided it had had enough. The skeleton wanking was not injector knock but a fucked bucket fucking off and letting the cam open the valve directly.

Then the cheerful bits of shrapnel danced merrily around the rocker cover finishing off most of the buckets around and then wedging the cam, so timing slipped, pistons hit valve.

stripping the head off to see the state of play. Got some hours in after work, but was defeated by the turbo, I just didn’t have a big enough lever, so will attack that later.

01AEF000-DCFD-42E5-B6FA-9E66BA23EB74.thumb.jpeg.a0aa4c92c701929a9cddeb2b50207d44.jpeg

as I left it tonight.

10 hours ago, scdan4 said:

The tops of lots of buckets have yes. They are wafer thin.

We think...Getting the timing bang on with the cambelt change raised the cylinder pressures enough that a lunar tappet bucket decided it had had enough. The skeleton wanking was not injector knock but a fucked bucket fucking off and letting the cam open the valve directly.

Then the cheerful bits of shrapnel danced merrily around the rocker cover finishing off most of the buckets around and then wedging the cam, so timing slipped, pistons hit valve.

stripping the head off to see the state of play. Got some hours in after work, but was defeated by the turbo, I just didn’t have a big enough lever, so will attack that later

What a hilarious description. Tragic what's happened but I'm pissing myself here.

On 6/5/2019 at 1:49 PM, Minimad5 said:

🤔 If you come to flog it, let me know

I’ll let you have it for the same as last months garage invoice? Literally giving it away.... 😁

Anyway, off with its head!

E31A6090-D47D-4CB7-AD31-530DE39D5D78.thumb.jpeg.e332a288f0dacc4816471cb68402bfd6.jpeg

F96F95FC-6E12-4E98-B45F-4014D6AD8381.thumb.jpeg.f55804fa107a6c337a7facf88d1ff894.jpeg

And it’s not too bad. Can’t see which piston clashed on piston crowns or valves. It’s a big old lump to lift out on your own. It would have been a lot lighter without the exhaust manifold and turbot, but there was one solitary 12mm nut on the manifold to block that I just couldn’t get to. I do need to admit that the whole shebang did get a lot lighter once I’d undone the turbo drain pipe. Ho hum.

Anyway, have you seen my honing marks? Not bad eh.

EDC6C867-3995-451E-8BEE-92CBDC9AB95C.thumb.jpeg.bdebc8ccd3b17a5a164241b7ad2857ab.jpeg

Plenty of damage up top though. Reprofiled cam.

B84680A9-A574-4AA2-A1EE-950142DFDD31.thumb.jpeg.557a4483132e788e65a8ab2aa5bf8e65.jpeg

some of the broken bucket remains are not for moving , note the battered rim. 

2D128E6B-7BD0-4BE1-A69C-E9531EA9F656.thumb.jpeg.d1a97873cdd2f2732ea4d911daca20af.jpeg

35D90C0C-6C58-4F43-8084-AE7F9723C3E2.thumb.jpeg.29afa4f55f884439114e56c58370b891.jpeg

more fucked rim action.

6F4C5D61-FF63-42E5-94C9-1B99F5379466.thumb.jpeg.c7fb5c2cd6af8fe6b70d3cec0aff411e.jpeg

And that’s all I have to say about that. 

Ah, from one ol' V70 owner to another... a right shame about the wafer-thin tappets and bits and resulting carnage. Eagerly awaiting the coming of fruition of cunning planses.

Still tho. This is the first time I hear/see an engine giving up by dying tappets spraying their guts about. Can't be very common, shirley?

A couple of hours on the new one today.

pulled out the pela and pulled out 3 litres of atf to replace with clean. I’ve now done this 7 times within 1000 miles and the box holds about 8 litres total so you’d expect it to have a bit of colour to it by now...

6AC73535-2BE6-4A03-9BBC-08A67B3B5A0A.thumb.jpeg.795df4bec738ce386e69fd5ca8fcb0c7.jpeg

Nope. About the same as the first lot visually. We will persevere though as the box has greatly improved, to the extent that the only worrying symptom is a reluctance to reverse up hill. It did strike me that the only time the new fluid is flushing the reverse circuit is when you are reversing, so the procedure now following the fresh fluid is to immediately reverse in as varied a manner as possible (to be working everything whilst the fresh fluid circulates for the first time) for as long as possible. The main result of this however is to have convinced everyone on the estate that I am a certified nutter. The burger van bloke even waved me down to ask me what the fuck I was doing as I passed him, backwards, for the third time in as many minutes.

New* power steering pump fitted, now lighter and not lumpy, much nicer. New* topmount bush fitted which removed the big engine wobbling around knock. It’s really quite a nice drive now.

Mot next, then I will need to investigate why the turbo is on or off. And the aux belt (which has been heavily oiled from the ps pump) looks pretty ropey so should probably investigate the state of the more important ones. And then start prodding the Haldex. Plenty to do.

1 hour ago, scdan4 said:

I’ve now done this 7 times within 1000 miles and the box holds about 8 litres total so you’d expect it to have a bit of colour to it by now...The main result of this however is to have convinced everyone on the estate that I am a certified nutter. The burger van bloke even waved me down to ask me what the fuck I was doing as I passed him, backwards, for the third time in as many minutes.

That did make me chuckle :lol: