Insurance!!!

Anthony30

I started looking for insurance for my MK3 Astra Estate 1.4 8v MPI today. Being 23, with a 'clean licence', I thought the prices might be reasonable, but they want over £1000 to insure the damn thing. :roll:  I'm now searching Evil Bay for a cheaper car to insure. It's only my daily driver, so don't want to spend lots of money, I've got the mini for that. My budget would be around £500. I would like to swap a car for my R/C 1/5th scale ideally. Had my licence for over 5 years, and still getting silly quotes!!! It's just a joke IMO!!!! :mad:  :evil:

:?:

Any suggestions for cars that are cheap to buy and insure?

Stupid question maybe, but have you used the comparison sites? Do you have a middle-aged female relative you can add to the policy as a named driver?

I'd suggest giving Chris Knott a call, they are a broker I use and are consitently very good on prices and will beat any like-for-like quote from someone else too.

My zx 1.4 was silly cheap, fully comp too!

A vauxhall meriva is not cheap to insure however, took amy ages to grasp why when I told her I was £440 a year and she was £680! (I do have more no claims than her though)

I have a years experience,no ncb and had a lot of cars. Saxo diesel was more expensive than a 1.4 furio, 1.6 focus a lot more to insure than a 1.8 vectra, 1.8 picasso and the volvo was nearly 200 a month. Yet the xantia is the cheapest to insure and that includes cars like a punto, corsa and micra. Also the xsara was quiet cheap too yet still more than a tenner a month over xantia

My quote went up on confused.com for a 1.6 estate. The cheapest I can find is £849.09 ,with AXA, through confused.com. My renewal is £931.92 with Aviva. :? A rover 111 would be cheaper to insure @ £638.96. My astra needs the sill sorting on both sides. More holy than the pope where the sill meets the wheel arch. :-D  :-P I've recently done some work to the car, and quite like it TBH. I'll be taking my anual trip to Santa Pod in August for MITP. It will need a new radio for the trip, the signal is a bit poo. :mad:

It's a crapshoot, I think your postcode has a lot to do with it too. I'm in a similar boat being 23 and with a clean license also. What is your NCD status? I've got five years and paid £243.09 this year with Direct Line.

It's mostly based on the risk attributable to the car once you get over a certain age. Take for example a Rover 2.0 400. Statistically they'll write very few of these off as there's hardly any on the road in the first place. So on paper it's not s bad risk as they aren't likely to get any comeback on it. A Corsa 1.2 on the other hand - they probably pay out on these all the time...

It's a crapshoot, I think your postcode has a lot to do with it too. I'm in a similar boat being 23 and with a clean license also. What is your NCD status? I've got five years and paid £243.09 this year with Direct Line.

4 Years NCD this year. :-D

Here's one for you. I phoned Flux and set up a policy for the 205 after they mirrored my current 3yrs NCB from the Granada. That'll be £225 please.

The following day I phone and ask them to change the start time by a day and they said "Ok, we'll cancel this policy and set you up a new one with the same details".................£150

How ?????????????????

That it ?
I got an insurance quote for a vw scirocco that someone (Mr France ?) on here was selling.
They quoted £10k .... needless to say i swiftly said no.

First road legal car just after i passed my test was a Peugeot 309, £1500 for the years insurance.
Get a policy started, build up no claims and it'll come down, if you stay away from trees / rolling over / crashing etc etc.

I started looking for insurance for my MK3 Astra Estate 1.4 8v MPI today. Being 23, with a 'clean licence', I thought the prices might be reasonable, but they want over £1000 to insure the damn thing. :roll:  I'm now searching Evil Bay for a cheaper car to insure. It's only my daily driver, so don't want to spend lots of money, I've got the mini for that. My budget would be around £500. I would like to swap a car for my R/C 1/5th scale ideally. Had my licence for over 5 years, and still getting silly quotes!!! It's just a joke IMO!!!! :mad:  :evil:

:?:

Any suggestions for cars that are cheap to buy and insure?

My son aged 21 paid £800 to insure a mk4 1.6 16V in London, with no NCB. At 22 with a years NCB he was paying £650 in Liverpool, so I'm thinking that you are doing something wrong.

It's mostly based on the risk attributable to the car once you get over a certain age. Take for example a Rover 2.0 400. Statistically they'll write very few of these off as there's hardly any on the road in the first place. So on paper it's not s bad risk as they aren't likely to get any comeback on it. A Corsa 1.2 on the other hand - they probably pay out on these all the time...

This ^

Get a quote on a Honda Jazz 1.4 costing £3500 or a Corsa 1.0 costing £600 and see which is cheaper.  

I think I've hit the bottom of the curve in relation to insurance quotes. Virtually everything I get a quote on now, online at least, is the same.

I managed to get my S60 insured for £270 fully comp back in December. To achieve this, I got the renewal through the post, which increased my premium by around £80 or so, rang them up, told them I would cancel my existing policy with them, and then get a new cheaper policy with them via the comparison website. Fortunately the person on the phone used their noggin and went away to do some "discount calculations" and came back saying that they were able to apply various discounts that brought it down to a much more acceptable level. Sigh.

Since then I've ran some quotes through in response to roffle entries, or idle eBay tat thread postings, and it generally will not go below £260 or so. The Pug 205 was about £260, and the £8 Accord was about £260.

Both quotes on the basis of being a second vehicle. I never rang my own insurance company to see if they'd add them on cheaply or reflect any of my 11 years NCB.

If I ever did do a successful roffle I'd investigate single-day insurance, or a month's insurance, as I would hope that insurance for a day on a 1.8d 205 would be over 90% less than the £260 quoted for a year's coverage, and I could stomach £25 for a month of insurance on a 1.8d 205.

The point of this post is this: insurance.....................wat.

My son just got a renewal quote for his (new) Leon Cupra. Went from £400 to £1800.

He's 34 and been driving cars and bikes since he was 17, no claims.

Lives in greater London (Buckhurst Hill)

This is probably down to underwriters deciding they don't want this type of risk on their books,so go a bit daft with the price to move you on....

If you stay and pay,they won't be unhappy though....

I'm with Budget Insurance, they were 1 of the cheaper quotes for my Cupra

They have a good online setup which gives instant price changes for any potential purchase,with no vehicle changing admin costs

https://secure.budgetinsurance.com/SelfService/security/Login/LoginRegister?ReturnUrl=%2fSelfService%2fProductGeneric%2fPolicyOverview%2fPolicyOverview

Direct Line won't cover me for some reason. Not sure living next to the 14th worst postcode in UK for car crime helps.

I'd definitely look at something like a Volvo or whatever, insurance isn't often that expensive for stuff like that plus it's built like a tank so if you've the misfortune to have an accident you'll hopefully come off much better than in a 15 year old Astra.