Collection Fred, now home, updates

Jazoli

Pez 147s are criminally cheap, not much point waiting for a roffle when you can just buy one for less than I just paid for 4 mid range tyres.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222124863156

I wouldn't want a 1.6 on steels personally, even at £200, that one needs £200 spending straight away, plus its not got leather, or the 2.0 engine which to me are probably the most important things on a cheap old Alfa.

Yeah that wasn't the best example, but it does show how cheap they can be.

I reckon you've got a MEGABARG based on what Sporty advertised it for, but there are still plenty of other 147s and 156s around the 5-600 mark, which is an awful lot of car for the money.

Small update today after a little bit of fettling, first job was to fix the rear wash/wipe, previously it would just create a mobile swimming pool in the boot, an easy fix as the hose had just popped of so it just needed re-attaching, next job was to fix the inoperative parrot hands free kit, all it took was to dismantle the remote, straighten the pins inside and fit a new battery, I also found the mounting brackets for the display unit hidden in the armrest (what a useless thing that is by the way, you can't operate the handbrake or change gear when it is down) which is now fixed,

1fb1afa793ceab86730e3e1effae2110.jpg

third job was to fit a new battery, I took advantage of ECP's 25& off weekend and scored an 063 for £26, it not the correct size but it'll do, next i cleaned and renapur'd the seats, they now look amazing and have hardly any wear considering.

I also spent some time touching up a few of the scratches and gave it a polish, although I'm tempted to never wash it again as the shineyness just shows up how bad the dents are!

4af224dcbc5b6ce64b8e1f70a92509bc.jpg

I went for a drive to Windermere as I had to drop some things at work and it was nice to be sat in the traffic queue's with the aircon on, what's not so good is the wheels still need balancing badly, and I think the tracking is out as it likes to wander a bit, but looking at the lumps missing out of the front wheels it doesn't really surprise me that much, I'll get it done next week, I also dropped the tyre pressures a bit as it was very crashy, which improved things a lot.

First impressions are is it's a nice place to sit with a rorty engine, with very direct steering (just over 2 turns lock to lock) It's surprisingly economical too, I got 38mpg on the way back from Sporty's on Friday,which has now dropped to 30ish which is ok really.

Can anybody tell me what the black box behind the mirror is?

1707b3445c06c6e8f73174c5c4a05463.jpg

43d98bf295936ff57b9624eb1ff44749.jpg

It's not the rain sensor as that is a smaller circular thing next to it.

Overall I'm very happy with it for what I paid, but I'm not sure I like it that much as yet, my Focus is much better to drive so I'll give a a couple of weeks to see if it grows on me and if not it'll be roffle time :D

Today's update is that I have had the wheels balanced (they had no weights on at all) and the tracking done (it was 5 degrees out on one wheel) it now drives a lot better and doesn't wander around under braking or over bumps, so everything is done now, I'm just going to use it for the next month and see how I get on, if it grows on me I'll visit the breakers and begin to sort the bodywork out, total spend so far is £29 for the aircon, £28 for the tracking and balancing, £26 for the battery, £4 for the touch up pen and £400 for the car so £483 all in.

Black box- Does it have auto lights?

Nope but a quick Google suggests it's a humidity sensor for the climate control, it's a big thing whatever it is and makes mounting a discreet dash cam a pain.