83C's Shite-esque Fleet: VXR8 vs. the MoT tester.

83C

I missed that bit.

I am slightly concerned about the rear light units ability to pass another MoT. They're all quite heavily degraded, with splits appearing in the plastic. Their light output is ok at night, but not great during the day.

Something to keep an eye on eBay for.

Can someone clue me up because I wasn't paying attention when they were modern shit - is the Xantia the replacement for the XM? I seem to be chronologically challenged.

The XM was the replacement for the CX, and the Xantia was the replacement for the BX. I'm surprised the XM lived on for as long as it did - production only stopped in 2000.

Occasionally the Volvo requires assistance:

7611C309-AD98-4C5E-9AC7-51135B3CE10A_zps

The batteries drain after a week or two, something I need to trace. Hopefully it's just the tachograph and the clock. Speaking of which:

DC912AEF-03DC-4B36-B26F-5209B20D0CAF_zps

I wondered what this was sticking out of the end of the cover around the underside of the dash on the Volvo. Turns out it's the tool for adjusting the clock:

C476EFF5-4322-4325-A0B3-3CCF5255E297_zps

Still in place, not lost or nicked after 32 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I had time to get the Transit airborne.

300BE258-C356-459A-89A7-2D115BC839BB_zps

The MoT is due sometime in April so I thought I'd best have a good poke around to see how crusty it is. I was very pleasantly surprised to only find one real area of concern:

143087F5-41DD-4607-9E79-CF4E64A8C73F_zps

This is the drivers side step footwell. The rest of the underside is pretty bloody solid, not bad at all for a 15 year old Transit. It's not a patchwork quilt of previous welds either, so it's been looked after.

Only other bit to sort is this:

F3CE924D-F1F3-4E9B-B498-ECCC6882AD7E_zps

Solid all around, just needs tidying and a small patch letting in.

Plan is to put it up in the air sometime in the next few weeks and pressure wash the underside, followed by a bit of needle-gunning to really make sure it's clean, followed by some zinc primer and a decent layer of underseal.

Also in other fleet news:

This came, this went:

27671500-C491-44C0-A82D-7639E20E8176_zps

Sold to an AS'er.

The Citroen continues to plod on, returning 51mpg of diesel, 400 miles per litre of oil, and 1000 miles per litre of LHM. It's warm, comfy and wafty. What more could a man want?

• 1 month later...

Today the adults said I had been a good boy, so I was allowed to play with the paints instead of the usual crayons:

61856383-E03D-4C28-81EF-B8E61B248505_zps

Previously the Tiger was ambling around with a pair of front corner bumpers in primer - one grey, one light green. I've had the paint for months but today was the first time I [-]could be bothered[/-] had the opportunity to sort them out. I've never much liked painting, I'm not patient enough for it. However, I reckon I've got a decent-ish finish on these. I went a bit mad with the paint actually:

05A28D33-1743-483F-B20B-30D37F860622_zps

The wheels were going a very faded green and around the nuts was completely bare/rusty.

I also acquired some Leyland front hub covers, which were duly cleaned and painted:

BFC30D5E-DB2E-48AD-A87D-BACAF2D6E78D_zps

8B57EB6F-A6CB-42AA-87BA-5D3616767481_zps

The bottom one will need sanding back and redoing. They had been stored in a pile of bits and looked rather filthy - it's amazing what water and a bit of swarfega can do, wish I'd taken a 'before' photo as the one I painted first (the one that isn't red in the first picture) was black and particularly grotty.

Then I tackled this:

3AE1100C-8ECF-41E0-85A6-66D8E9E28599_zps

Around the numberplate on the front bumper looked very rough and would have stood out between the newly painted corner bumpers, so I gave the area a quick scrape and wire brush followed by some primer. The top coat went on next, but I didn't get any pictures.

Tomorrow I'll see if I've made a hash of it all!

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered where the buses were going to on Sunday morning;  four seen between Bickleigh and Tiverton. Bit of a morning surprise to come round the corner and be faced with a big red AEC  - xxxVDV in the background of the photo? Missed the show as doing duty at Coldharbour Mill steam up day, and then missed a talk yesterday at the Mill by WHOTT on their 1929 Maudsley.  Sods law will dictate that Winkeligh open day will be on same day as a steam up.

The CLK has landed.

FEFA752D-678D-40F5-8995-C92B6F6B608B_zps

36923D9B-B2E2-47A7-B3A4-E553F0166853_zps

About to get a bath. The pictures don't adequately just how covered in shite it was.

I'm very pleasantly surprised by it - there are naturally a few niggles and the paintwork isn't great, but it's still stonking value. It was MoT'd last August and parked up. The inside needs a good wipe down with some anti-bacterial cloths as there is a bit of mould on the rear seats and seatbelts, and it could do with an oil change.

But, it's a supercharged 193bhp 2-dr coupe with cow inside, power fold mirrors, working aircon, electric everything and a decent-ish stereo. What's not to like for £325?

Bathed, next to another AS machine:

3375FA72-4865-4B2D-B4A7-4420D550480D_zps

The front bumper needs a quick rattle-canning over the areas where the paint has peeled off. Anyone know what the paint is called?

Engine bay still to be cleaned - in this state it makes my teeth itch.

8A8BEFB0-61C2-4357-BEB9-4614CC485EB3_zps

8D7C900B-3301-4134-B6D6-582B8D764781_zps

Not bad going despite cruising at 80ish.

Is that bus ex-Midland Red? Only thinking because it says Bayston Hill on the destination board.

Have a look a few pages back ;)

Tend to get a bit James May and clean it properly with rags, brushes and cleaner. I'll do the filters at the same time.

Well, I've got a German car with electrical issues. And a second one now.

The CLK FTP'd last night, it appeared totally dead. Thinking i'd left an interior light on I stuck the jump leads on and it started instantly - no waiting to feed the battery or anything. It didn't 'feel' very dead. Took the leads off, switched it off and it started straight away without assistance. Then I got out and locked it. Within a minute the interior lights came back on and the hazards started flashing. I guess this is some sort of alarm fault? If left to its own devices it makes it seem like the battery is dead, yet the slightest tickle with the jump leads (attached to another car) restores full battery power. I left it locked but pulled the battery leads off before the light show started, and this evening it started without issue.

I can live with it for a few days but its a ball-ache having to take the battery lead off every time I want to leave it. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago the nearside front tyre deflated at speed on the CLK, for reasons that are still unclear. No holes in the tread, no nails or screws stuck out.

The wheels matched the car very well (i.e. they were cosmetically shagged) so I'd already been trying to find a set of wheels. Having found and collected the new set, today I decided to change them over.

First issue:

FC38766D-AEAA-434D-B2F0-7108C427CAE7_zps

Someone had cranked one wheel bolt in particular down so hard that I sheared a half-inch extension bar trying to shift it. Broken plenty of 3/8" stuff, first time I've ever bent/broke 1/2". Eventually removed it with a beefier extension and a bigger bar.

Second issue:

2A0FDF81-9163-430E-AB47-B5531551AEC9_zps

The sole remaining locking wheel bolt. Shame the key had been completely knackered. Pikey removal method employed, smash a slightly undersize old socket onto it and unwind.

It was about this time I noticed both rears were missing a wheel bolt each, in addition to the now-useless locking bolt. A swift trip to ECP for three more.

Having fitted all four wheels I checked the clearances - the wheels have come off a W210 E320 CDI and are a bit wider. No major issues so now it looks a bit better and doesn't try breaking traction so easily thanks to 235-section rear tyres.

388BA1E5-F8A2-4DFF-9F66-860666C5593B_zps

Whilst you were all away, this joined the fleet:

B09F8861-6E12-4207-BD68-ECACD67ACB77_zps

6B3D958B-200B-4328-8F42-CB61788FFE4A_zps

BMW TurboDonkey:

BD2A5D52-A2DA-46CE-B12D-2221C6FFA132_zps

Nice to see an original registration plate:

CF4972DB-CDED-4CBC-A1C5-3DF3889007BA_zps

It's a facelift ZT CDTi 135+ auto. Comfy and fairly wafty, whilst returning very acceptable fuel bills.

This means the CLK is up for grabs, I'll do a proper fur' zayle post in a bit but the long and short is that I'll take £375 including the 17's, and I'll throw the 16's in. Or £300 takes it on the 16's (one of which will be the spare). Needs an ATF leak fixing (eats about a litre every 2-300 miles).

Bastards.

92393BCE-35B1-4D4F-B6C5-48CE92ED2302_zps

Done yesterday at Tesco. Only noticed it when I got home, so somewhere in Cornwall is a car with a Trophy Blue scuff on it.

Fortunately the wing bent back into shape, it's just the bumper that needs a respray:

A65036D7-3A2E-4F11-869F-9E19EBF009BB_zps

Possibly, left it too late now I should imagine.

The ZT has been on a 1000 mile jaunt from Cornwall to Cumbria and back, and it hasn't been plain sailing. No pics I'm afraid, didn't have the time.

First stage was Truro to Shrewsbury, which was done on Thursday afternoon without issue. Friday the plan was to meet up with two other cars full of of close friends and all our gear and convoy up to Penrith (Whinfell Forest Centerparcs). Unfortunately whilst heading to the meeting point the ZT suffered a mechanical malady - under heavy acceleration there was a sudden loss of power followed by vast clouds of black smoke out of the exhaust. I couldn't find anything wrong at the side of the road so continued to the meeting point where one of our group who happens to be a diesel/plant engineer by trade gave it a once-over. Short of getting the spanners out and dismantling the car we couldn't find anything wrong, all connections seemed tight. We were fairly convinced it was either something blocking the intake somewhere (like the air filter shifting in its housing) or more likely a hole between the turbo and intake manifold, but couldn't find the problem. Time was tight so we decided to go for it anyway, a gentle cruise up the M6 still being well within the ZT's capabilities. 

Despite making more smoke than a World War 1 Dreadnought the ZT made it to Cumbria where it was unceremoniously dumped and forgotten about outside our accommodation until this morning. It was driven back to Shrewsbury in much the same state, and with plenty of time in the day before the journey south west had to continue I decided to quickly remove the front bumper and see what was going on. It turned out that a plastic boost pipe attached to the intercooler was no longer attached - although there is no actual fixing between the intercooler outlet and the pipe it should be held in place by the intercooler being fixed to the body and the pipe being bolted to a fixing point above it. Unfortunately the n/s intercooler mounting had broken (I suspect when the car was hit last week on the n/s/f corner), allowing it to flex enough for the pipe to lift out under heavy boost. It was all cleaned and reassembled, and the journey back to the Land That Time Forgot was much easier - everything works again and no black smoke. Only thing is I now have to find someone with the gear to switch off the engine management light - it came on during the journey up to Cumbria. 

Whilst away I came to the decision that I need a serious sorting of tat - therefore both the CLK and the 728i are for sale. Other car-related and non car-related tat will be available, I may even sell the B10M if anyone is interested. For sale posts will be written shortly. 

• 5 weeks later...

Update time.

The current fleet:

Leyland Tiger - out of test, SORNed. Minor works to complete before retest.

Volvo B10M - full working order, soon to be sold.

BMW 728i - out of test, SORNed. Needs diagnostics box.

MG ZT - The daily driver. Works well, needs new thermostat.

Triumph Sprint 1050 - out of test, SORNed.

Citroen Xantia - lost keys.

Mercedes CLK - lost keys.

Land Rover 90 - Long term SORN, awaiting regeneration.

Vauxhall Astra van - Awaiting collection.

The biggest issue right now is the Xantia and CLK. The Xantia is supposed to be going to red5 of this parish but like the world class spanner that I am, I've managed to lose not one but two sets of keys, the Xantia and the CLK's. Having searched everywhere for them the only place left to look is in the Xantia itself (the CLK's boot doesn't lock so I've already been in there). I have a vague recollection that I didn't have to unlock the rest of the car to access the Xantia's boot last time and I may have left both sets in the Xantia's boot, which of course is now locked. Anyone know how to get into a Xantia without breaking anything? Failing that the plan is to screwdriver the boot lock and force my way in.

The Volvo is going up for sale soon, I really don't have the time for it sadly.

The Triumph is going for MoT next week with any luck.

I've also won another Astra van on eBay. Collection Fred happening soon....

• 2 weeks later...

CLK gone:

C42A9302-DF6D-4A74-BE9E-70D4A61A57F6_zps

Xantia soon to follow. Not massively bothered about the CLK but properly pissed off that I lost the Xantia's key.

Volvo B10M is going to Norfolk on Monday.

The Volvo has sold, so today I'm taking it to its new owner in Nurfurk.

Leaving Winkleigh:

1AC77C54-81FB-4C10-B8D4-01D93C45569B_zps

Needed a drop of diesel for the journey east:

44084075-6CB5-4D1A-BF31-783FDD64D0DF_zps

Currently sat at Reading Services taking my tacho break. 45 mins doesn't half drag when you're by yourself!

86FA0B7B-7047-4F4D-AB01-E853BBDE57A1_zps

10 minutes after I got here, look what pulled in alongside:

1B0E63CF-F402-48E3-AAE6-8B40E829DDE3_zps

0733EE98-7452-4E6D-9401-5C629541A25A_zps