Putting more seats in a Landrover, costly leak horror.

cros

My swb Series 1 already has seven seats albeit rather uncomfortable ones. You'd think this was enough but I've just managed to stuff 5 more in. And an extra headlining, carpet, in fact the complete interior belonging to my very rusty Rover which I broke for spares.

It was actually fairly broken already, but the furnishings were good, and the headlining the best I've ever seen- they normally have rust stains on them. They were bought by someone on Ebay who wanted me to courier them to him as he lives a long way away. I got a price, then wondered how the heck I could package it up so that it would arrive safely. Realising what an arse it was going to be, I offered to deliver it for the £250 quoted, and tomorrow we're off. Its a long way so the caravan will be required. More to come...

post-7547-0-39850700-1463690111_thumb.jpg

post-7547-0-93552200-1463690128_thumb.jpg

I bought BT 10 quid data package and it doesn't work at all. They are a bunch of wankers, but because it doesn't work its difficult to make your feelings known to them until you get home....

I was puzzled when I booked Brittany Ferries 'economie' crossing - would I have to take a turn on the oars? The question was soon answered- no roof and they couldn't be bothered to put the chimney in the middle either.

Tonight we reached Salamanca, a fine place indeed. Love and peace.

post-7547-0-74648600-1463947765_thumb.jpgpost-7547-0-97358600-1463947862_thumb.jpg

Don't know what the wrecker was, same cab as Ebro Nissans but big chassis. Garage owner let his Alsatian out around the time I started looking. VW Lt owner has advert on the side of his van promising to expand my mind, but though he keeps his hound on a string at the back of his van I've decided to get a move on. I'd like to find a car wash to get the encrustation of salt off the landrover so that it doesn't dissolve en route. I know Hollande warned us about leaving the EU but I didn't think he'd take it out on me like this.

Obviously your outfit is the Class of the ferry, but interesting companions on the mingebag service.

That S Class is an unusual caravan tug, but with air suspension lots of torque and a 2 tonne kerb weight ,probably a good one.

As for the Windslammer on the roof of the Gaylander , haven't seen one of those since 1982 wonder if the owner has had it on all his cars since then?

Obviously your outfit is the Class of the ferry, but interesting companions on the mingebag service.

That S Class is an unusual caravan tug, but with air suspension lots of torque and a 2 tonne kerb weight ,probably a good one.

As for the Windslammer on the roof of the Gaylander , haven't seen one of those since 1982 wonder if the owner has had it on all his cars since then?

That wind thing looks like it belongs on an Autoshite thread along with tigers tails. As my Mrs desperately hangs onto 3 gear on an evil motorway gradient I can't help thinking we need it more than him. (No synchro below 3rd on these things) Alls well, we made it.

Re the LT mystery man, here's what he says he does-

post-7547-0-80501500-1464011832_thumb.jpg

Should you not wish to 'reach Nirvana tonight' on the other side it says he will undertake plumbing and small building jobs.

Guest Hooli

That old van & a S1 is a class outfit, love it.

Wish my neck problems didn't rule out series LRs or I'd get another, they are brilliant old things.

Have arrived just outside Lisbon and will deliver the seats tomorrow. I'll be glad not to bang my head on the roof lining any more. This is my first visit to Portugal. I likes it. More old stuff about than Spain. Saw Cortina Mk 1, Renault 12 and a 16 on motorway. Plus the following also still in service. Downside is electronic motorway tolls. More when I can get a signal.

Have you arrived in Lisbon? Not sure.

Side note, this is a pretty epic delivery!

Am at a campsite just outside Lisbon. Apologies for disjointed posts, signal is terrible here and there's no WiFi. Due to the proper recession around here I'm sorry to announce that this thread will lack the 'money shot'. No picture of motoring items being handed over, with maybe a handshake and big grins. The buyer just emailed to say he won't be in so can I arrive at his Apartado at the appointed time (this has not been a last minute arrangement) and phone his brother who will come round and pay the 300€ for delivery. Well I wasn't expecting a cup of tea or a use of his toalete anyway....

Completed delivery this afternoon. I knew that there was unlikely to be a big handing over ceremony, but things started to look a bit odd when the Apartment number I'd been given appeared not to exist. We parked at the junction that his postcode took us to and phoned the 'brother'. A few minutes later a battered smiley Transit arrived and the driver directed us to a layby across the road. He didn't have the money on him so a wait ensued as he went the cashpoint. On his return, and without stopping his engine he handed over 300€, and flung everything in the van with the lovely headlining landing straight on the seat adjustment knob.

post-7547-0-31392600-1464115664_thumb.jpg

Portuguese motorways are quite empty, because of stupidly high electronic road pricing. Its said to have clobbered the motorised tourist trade and new car sales. Has also pushed most people back onto the old main roads and made them a bit of a nightmare around the capital.

We've kept on minor routes to cross to the East and it has been superb. Much less fuel used despite keeping up with other traffic and negotiating small towns. That means 32 mpg as opposed to 26 on motorways. Just a little bit faster and the terrible shape means you got two tolls to pay.

Have been on some steep unmade tracks, so far the cups and plates have remained intact.

Not seen much of interest vehicle-wise today, I'm assuming serious spotters are familiar with these Fiat pick-ups but they're new to this amateur.

post-7547-0-42170100-1464195288_thumb.jpg

Front hubs just engaged, don't fancy busting a rear half shaft up here.

post-7547-0-67519600-1464196627_thumb.jpg

I've seen a newer version of these too, looks better than the pumped up 500 to me.