dome

Domes shonky autos-Starlet Express* Rejuvenation ongoing

It all started with a message from a mate last week. Want a free car? A friend of his was needing rid.  

You can guess what my answer was.

I was sent this photo and told it had early stages of head gasket failure.

post-7629-0-44606600-1463604868.jpg

At least I new this one was broken. Whether or not it would make it home or not was a different matter...

Fast forward to tonight. Supplies collected and off we went.

post-7629-0-80431300-1463604916.jpg

Transport of choice. My mate is a shiter, he just doesn't know it yet...

On to the beast in question.

post-7629-0-19913400-1463604906.jpg

A 1.8 (it would be wouldn't it?) Freelander Serengeti. Phwoooar.

Initial thoughts under the bonnet-no obvious signs of being fucked about with, however no coolant in the expansion bottle and the dipstick was dry. No signs of Mayo anywhere.

Topped up fluids and fired it up. It was a bit tappy which is to be expected with no oil but quietened down. Let it warm up, bled it a bit and added some K Seal. I had a 25 mile drive home so better safe than sorry. I also left the expansion cap off and set the heater to max and off we set. Brakes were stuck on but soon freed off.

It only bloody made it! I babied it, not taking it above 3000rpm but when I got home it hadn't used any coolant. Gauge stayed bang in the middle and the heater was blowing red hot all the way.

I put the expansion cap on and let it run for a bit and it behaved itself. 

Back home. Apologies for the pics, it was getting dark. Probably for the best.

post-7629-0-56422500-1463604876.jpg

post-7629-0-41867100-1463604885.jpg

post-7629-0-18514700-1463604895.jpg

It's a bit rough, stinks of fags and only one electric window works. It's had the prop disconnected so is 2wd. It drives OK, think there may be an engine mount gone and there something knocking front end wise. But it was free...

Plans? Clean it and work out what's wrong with the engine. The boy I got it from reckoned it had had the modified head gasket done before he got it, there are no receipts though...

Then smoke about for a bit and flog it. Probably to buy something equally broken. I don't get out much.

post-7629-0-44606600-1463604868_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-56422500-1463604876_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-41867100-1463604885_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-18514700-1463604895_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-19913400-1463604906_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-80431300-1463604916_thumb.jpg

Well, so confident* was I in my new steed that I decided to brave the commute in it today-also becauee it's only insured til tonight and it gives me a chance to put some more miles on it and hoover it/check tyre pressures etc. I gave it a quick wash and it came up not too bad. I even refitted the expansion cap after checking the coolant-no loss in the 25 miles last night. Quick wash this morning as it was manky and here's the passenger side for the doubters ;)

post-7629-0-98866500-1463650996_thumb.jpg

Well, so confident* was I in my new steed that I decided to brave the commute in it today-also becauee it's only insured til tonight and it gives me a chance to put some more miles on it and hoover it/check tyre pressures etc. I gave it a quick wash and it came up not too bad. I even refitted the expansion cap after checking the coolant-no loss in the 25 miles last night. Quick wash this morning as it was manky and here's the passenger side for the doubters ;)

DSC_0045.JPG

Dude, how the mighty have fallen.. softroader ftl:(

Guest Hooli

When you say the modified head gasket has been fitted, which one? there were a lot of revisions. I think the final one included a new stiffer ladder which fits in the sump for the head bolts to lock into.

When you say the modified head gasket has been fitted, which one? there were a lot of revisions. I think the final one included a new stiffer ladder which fits in the sump for the head bolts to lock into.

I have no idea and no bills or history for the car so your guess is as good as mine...

Started trying to get the stink of fags out of this thing. Knackered drivers side regulator and a chain smoker=filth.

It'll need done again. And again. Still stinks inside. Any tips for getting rid of the smell of fags?

Will try and get the inlet manifold gasket changed this weekend and give it a coolant flush and proper bleed if I get the chance, the Locost is the priority though if I get the head back for it...

Get the front seats out and have a good hoover underneath. Headlining takes a lot of stink too.

I've found steam cleaners to be pretty effective. Just watch out / becareful on stuff like headliners.