Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

What about an alpina d3 ? I keep looking at them.

They are lovely but I love my M57. Would need to get an earlier e91 to make sure I didn't get the comedy n57 with the arse about face timing chain that stretches and needs the engine out to change...

Ask my brother about rear wheel bearings on e46s.. You'll likely need a backing plate for the handbrake shoes too:(

I THINK its the side that needs the backing plate I bought last year so two birds with one stone and all that. Will speak to your bro when I'm back but doubt I'll tackle it myself.

• 2 weeks later...
Sigh. Where did I leave this?

My very cheap alternator arrived and was fitted by me last weekend. And Lo! but did no volts flow out of the back of the fucking thing? And I saw this, and it was bad.

I took it to the auto electricians who said while it wasn't as bad as the original one from the car it would still need a new regulator. This was duly ordered up from ebay at which point I buggered off to Rome for a holiday.

On my return I fitted the new regulator and got the exact same result-only 11.5 volts so no charging. 

At this point I wasn't sure if there was another issue with the wiring somewhere(possible) a faulty rectifier(possible), something else duff in the alternator( or my inept workmanship(very possible)

I prodded with my multimeter as much as i could and came to the conclusion that the problem lay with the alternator somewhere.

At this point I'm ashamed to say I admitted defeat and bought a new alternator. The price was good and I was at the end of my tether. 

Fitted it and cautiously fired it up and checked the voltage-14 volts. 

And there was much rejoicing! 

Well not really, I'd have been much happier if it had worked at one of the previous stages and I didn't have to fork out for an alternator... At least I was correct that the fault did lie with he alternator.

I'm trying to return the faulty alternator and regulator which would ease my suffering slightly, we'll see how that goes...

I now need to actually put some miles on this thing to regain some faith in it, especially as the BMW is getting a new wheel bearing shortly and I don't want to use it until this has been done.

Done about 250 miles in the Clio in the last two days which is what it needed and more importantly what I needed to get a bit of faith in the thing. It still flashes up the eml occasionally at idle, I've not read the codes yet but I will.

I had it back in Ayrshire tonight so took it down some roads I used to know well. I didn't push it too much as it was a bit slippery but it goes like fuck on the straight bits!

Averaged around 35mpg from Ayr back to Fife too which isn't too bad for sitting at 70mph* My dad's 1.25 Fiesta is pretty rubbish mpg wise at motorway speeds. Big engined small cars ftw.

Clio 172/182 is something I really need to scratch and the urges keep getting stronger. I had a Clio II in 1.2 flavour as my very first car, and I remember drooling over the 172/182 in the showroom at the time.

Clio 172s are in my budget range, but 182 is my preference. Prefer the dual exhausts, standard cruise control and most importantly, standard ESP - great safety net for when talent runs out.

Hope your dad is recovering ok.

Our Chevy Aveo weighed over 1.5 tons and had a puny 1.2 engine which never bettered 39 mpg in the 4.5 years we owned it, terrible economy. Definitely agree with your logic re engine size vs car size!

Sure that's right? That's heavier than the Laguna II as a v6!

Been using the Clio this week. There's still a couple of issues...

1. The idle is shite just now and the EML comes on occasionally with a P0300 (generec injection fault), I suspect another injector and have a spare but until it goes and gives me a code there's nothing I can do.

2. It occasionally won't start due to immobiliser shennagins. It's done this on and off for a while but usually sorts itself. It's usually some wires chafing on hte loom somewhere so I'll give it a prod this week at some point. 

Both these issues need fixed as, sadly, my time with this wee thing is coming to an end. It's been great fun but I've too many cars and have some Locost work coming up before it goes back on the road for the summer. 

I caned it to Innerleithen and back and even took the long way back to enjoy it on some back roads. These wee things are fucking epic, a true successor to a 205 GTi. The way it pulls as the dephaser kicks in is addictive and the noise with the exhaust and filter make me drive everywhere with the windows down and heeling and toeing just to listen to it.  :mrgreen:  I'm glad I've had one as in 5-10 years the values will go up. They're pretty much at rock bottom now.

Oh and it's still averaging 37mpg!!

I'll list it up on here if anyone's interested before braving Gumtree. It'd be in the region of £1200 to a shiter as it sits.

No swaps(Except for a certain P38 Range Rover)

ARRRRRRRRRR!!

I was really hoping that you'd be keeping it longer! There is no way the wife would let me have 4 cars. :?

(Tried before and it caused no end of strife)

This is making me seriously consider selling my Laguna. Problem is I still like it too much and I'm not bored of it yet. Plus I'll miss it if I sell it. Plus going back and finding another wouldn't be easy with less than 200 of them on the road. :(

Dilemmas dilemmas!

Well, I plan on ignoring it for a week or two while I do other things so it's not going anywhere just yet, especially as the problems whilst not major will put off a potential buyer.

I'll not advertise it anywhere else til I've said on here.

The chaffed wiring for the immo problem I think is a more a 1.2 engine issue with its security cover. Code scan should point a bit more where. The key pickup rings can fail and so can the keys.

Is there two keys?

The chaffed wiring for the immo problem I think is a more a 1.2 engine issue with its security cover. Code scan should point a bit more where. The key pickup rings can fail and so can the keys.

Is there two keys?

I occasionally have the same symptoms that this chap had so am fairly confident that this is the problem. I do have 2 keys, it didn't make a difference which one I used.

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/bypassing-the-immobiliser-on-a-ph2-172.612962/

• 2 weeks later...

Remember I was saying how good the Clio sounded? This may have been in part due to the exhaust starting to blow...

Go underneath it and the clamps were, well, fucked.

post-7629-0-69590500-1489873512_thumb.jpg

Replaced these and it sounds a bit less antisocial. Although it now knocks underneath and the tailpipes don't sit right. Le sigh.

It also started idling worse and worse and eventually gave me a code for the only injector I hadn't changed so far. Luckily I had a spare so I swapped this out and it seems better. I've been buying used injectors which may prove to be a false economy though. I've ordered a genuine one to have as a spare.

The immobiliser issue hasn't surfaced for a wee while so today I took it for a blast down to the Border Counties Rally.

post-7629-0-04134400-1489873636_thumb.jpg

Back home and dirty cars always look better to me  8)

post-7629-0-69084200-1489873529_thumb.jpg

Shame about that fecking exhaust...

The BMW has been off the road due to the noisy wheel bearing. I duly bought the bearing, borrowed the necessary tools (thankyou 320touring and Bro) and decided to get stuck in.

post-7629-0-10444700-1489873476_thumb.jpg

No, wait, fuck this shit.

I hate working on this car. Every bolt underneath it fights me. Lifes too short so I gave in and gave it to my local garage to do on Thursday. Still waiting for it back though...

Once it does come back I think I'll sell it. As much as it's a fantastic car I'm doing a lot of miles just now and could do with something a bit newer that doesn't give me the fear when I go to work on it. Shame as it scrubs up well

post-7629-0-69155700-1489873828_thumb.jpg

I've also had my Dads 2012 Fiesta for a while as he's giving up driving.

Because of this the Lexus has been lying down at his house for over a month. The Fiesta is getting sold and has been given to a mate who's after a new car to try for a day or two, hopefully he'll take it.

In anticipation of it going I might bring the Lexus back home tomorrow. I miss it...

I have stuck the 330D and the Clio up for sale now-the Clio has been behaving itself but it's getting under my skin so I'd better shift it before I get too attached...

The adverts are below and at prices ready to be beaten down, if anyones interested in a shiters price then drop me a line. There's movement on both.

Clio Ad

https://www.gumtree.com/p/renault/renault-renaultsport-clio-182-mot-nov-full-history-belts-done-not-172/1225655439

BMW Ad

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=252823376912