Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

MOT booked for this tomorrow. It hadn't moved in 6 months and after a brake rebuild it seems ready. Obviously I can't check emissions and the rear discs aren't great but if it fails I'll no what to do next.

I'm a touch nervous but let's see how it goes...

I've won a genuine Renault timing belt kit with dephaser and water pump for £150, I've also got the timing tools lined up for £50 so that's a decent result.

I imagine these to be quite v-tec like. As in all the power is in the upper rev's. What does it red line at?

I was in the same situation with my Panda. You have to rev the nuts off it to enjoy it at it's best but could do nothing but pootle around until I got the cambelt done.

I imagine these to be quite v-tec like. As in all the power is in the upper rev's. What does it red line at?

I was in the same situation with my Panda. You have to rev the nuts off it to enjoy it at it's best but could do nothing but pootle around until I got the cambelt done.

Nah dephaser means they have a fair amount of torque until about 4.5k then they go like all holy fuck

I can't actually remember what the redline is. From limited probing though (Fnar) Neil describes it well-nice and torquey up to about 5k on mine, then it fucks off down the road most pleasantly. It's no Locost, but it's pretty good and I can drive this at this time of the year in clothes I'm happy to be seen outside the car wearing... ;)

More to come once the cambelt is done though

Congrats! Describe the hoon factor please!

Cheers! As above I'm taking it pretty easy but even at that and with a duff shock and needing a brake bleed you can feel that it was made to go round corners quickly. Been a while since I've driven a good fast FWD car, this one should be in that realm fairly soon. 

After work tonight I set off on another mission. First off, a set of brand new timing tools to do the belt.

Second, off to a boy in Fife who was breaking a couple of Clios.

I think I've found the right place.

post-7629-0-07328600-1478124694_thumb.jpg

Nice lad. He races them aswell as restores them so ends up breaking them to fund his hobby/get parts for the race cars. The Land Rover you can just see is a genuine ex Camel Trophy job belonging to his Dad. 

He sold me this lot for a good price-2 brand new genuine Renault front shocks with new springs and top mounts aswell as 2 good rear KYB shocks-the OEM manufacturer for Renault. These should sort out the handling. 

post-7629-0-72753300-1478124307_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, I have a whiteboard on the garage wall with a (depressing) list of jobs to do on the fleet. I hadn't started a Clio list yet but my friend (Fraz who lurks on here) was over tonight and thought he'd start it for me...

post-7629-0-25069600-1478124304_thumb.jpg

In case you can't read his scrawl it says

Clio

1. Bang Nicole

2. Apologise to Papa

I wonder how she's aged...

I had one of these are few years back now 05 plate 5 grand it cost me!! Gourdeni (sp) blue with the stripes

Brilliant car I got the Cambelt done by a firm in Northwitch and it set me back 500 quid.

I would love a spare 500 quid now! Never mind another 182

This has been used a wee bit, not wanting to do too much with it til I get the timing belt done. The kit I won on ebay hasn't been dispatched yet, I strongly suspect it never will be as I won over £300 of stuff for £150 and his feedback isn't the best. 

The fucked front strut had been annoying me so I evicted the Locost from the garage (which has also had some work , I'll update that thread too) and stuck the Clio in to swap the struts for the pair I'd picked up the other night.

I managed to do the typical me thing of make a total arse of the first side, (popped the driveshaft out and struggle to get it back in and generally worked like a fucking idiot), then learned from my mistakes and swap the other side in about 20 min. The top mounts on the new struts are't the same so I'll need to replace them at some point-I've made them fit for the time being. Safe to say the old ones needed changing though...

post-7629-0-45232700-1478380652_thumb.jpg

Took it a blast up a local back road tonight and pushed it a bit for the first time. Temperatures are low as was grip but it's a lot better to drive now, I can push the tires a lot more. Even keeping the revs below about 5k (my last hot hatch was a 205 1.9 which had done it's best work by then so this felt natural) it goes well. I've not managed to play with it on the throttle yet, I'll save that for somewhere with a bit more runoff than my local back roads...

Got some free power today :)

The garage that sold it to the previous owner had fitted a set of rubber mats. All very nice with logos but it turns out they were stopping the throttle pedal going all the way down. It goes better now!

I treated it to a wash to celebrate...

post-7629-0-34435600-1478448242_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-82882900-1478448283_thumb.jpgpost-7629-0-93434200-1478448312_thumb.jpgpost-7629-0-39081700-1478448341_thumb.jpgpost-7629-0-50736700-1478448372_thumb.jpg

Cam belt done yet?

Seriously though you have done more to this in the week than I have done to any of mine in the last two months!

Sadly not. I'm going to use the fact that it hasn't arrived as my excuse. Once it arrives I'll need to think of other excuses...

Oo awesome. I missed you collecting this! Stainless steel exhaust is the only acceptable mod on these. Mostly because the Renault one is shit, rots badly and expensive.

These are on my bucket list of cars. The 172 are within my budget for random chod, but 182 sadly not. I'd want the 182 because:

1. More bhp (actually apparently no real difference in reality...)

2. Cruise control and speed limiter standard (cause 20mph limits are everywhere in Bristol and are enforced)

3. Most importantly traction control standard (I am not Lewis Hamilton and able to be better than a computer in keeping a car on a road)

• 4 weeks later...

Not a lot to report here, life has been getting in the way slightly.

There was a random knocking from what I thought was the LHS so I pulled the driveshaft out as there seemed to be a bit of play. This involves dropping the gearbox oil on these and of course the garage floor is now covered, despite me using a container. The stuff stinks.

No sign of any issues but the issue got worse and turned out to be the drivers side. Today I headed out to inspect it. The wheel bolts seemed a bit loose. Tightened these and took it for a test drive and... it's fine... Arses.

Well, there's no way to avoid it, I have this pile of goodies to fit.

post-7629-0-67719800-1480872532_thumb.jpg

There's a receipt for £326 from a Renault dealer for this little lot. I plan on starting it this week at some point. No doubt I'll find other issues when it's in bits so it'll take as long as it takes. Can't say I'm looking forward to doing it though...