Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

Cheers guys. It's that joyous* stage of a project where I get to fork out money for lots of bits. 

Insurance sorted for an ok price. A Clio 182 would've been cheaper but such is life!

I picked up a brand new Clio 182 cat locally tonight for cheaps.

I've ordered a standard pattern 172 exhaust online to chop up and make fit. These have a boring downturned tailpipe for the sleeper look. It's also mild steel so easier to weld. 

And finally I've order a kit to delete the A/C and power steering the same as the Clio 172 cups had. This isn't much more than a new aux belt and tensioner costs, that's how I'm justifying it anyway! This will cure my power steering leak!

Power steering will be going EPAS in the future, I think I'll get it Mot'd and on the road first though minus power steering to shake it down a bit before spending any more!

7 hours ago, Jim Bell said:

Philosophical query. 

In theory, it's a van, so will you be obliged to comply with van speed limits while traversing public highways?

I had a look into this when I was going to build one and from what I could see up to about 2006 before they facelifted them(like mine) they were private/light goods on the V5 so are subject to the lower limits.  After 2006 they all seemed to be car derived van so I think had car speed limits applied. 

I was going to build one based on a facelift van but this one was too good a bargain to pass up. I also like the colour and the lack of side doors-it can't weigh much more than 1000kgs as it sits with the F4R engine in it.

I may look into changing the class on the V5 once I've jumped through the hoops with the engine change but I suspect it'll be a pain in the ass. Probably easier ziptieing a chemikazi and an air mattress into it and getting it registered as a campervan...

The Clio 172 exhaust arrived yesterday so I set about trying to make it fit. 

First off, hang the back box in location. It curves over the rear beam and joins the centre section

541411142_IMG_20200214_1646428822.thumb.jpg.ca05237c1b736c47878d70dd25344167.jpg

The Kangoo exhaust exits on the opposite side to the Clio so some fettling was required.

I mounted the cat at the front and tried the centre section upside down. It had potential so the angle grinder came out and some of my spare exhaust sections were compared, head scratched and grinder deployed again followed by the welder.

Surprisingly quickly I got to this stage

IMG_20200214_164648104.thumb.jpg.641d37df5dd96cf9546cc92d9a644af5.jpg

I've tack welded the old section with the bend onto the 172 system, that's the only weld so far. It'll hopefully allow me to adjust things to allow clearance where it goes over the axle.

It is reasonably complete but only driving it will show if it clears properly. The big double clamp in the centre of the pic is leftover from the S4 and allows a decent range of adjustment. The clamp from the 182 cat to the 172 system doesn't match so plan is to chop off both and stick another double clamp there. The middle hanger lines up perfectly. 

The middle section is upside down which means the lambda sensor points downish. I can relocate bthis if clearance is an issue. It also wasn't plugged in to anything so I'll need to search for the connector in the Clio loom...

I'll need to fabricate a hanger for the silencer too. 

I fired it up and even in this state with no clamps it's a damn sight quieter than the old system.

Still loads to do but I'm surprised how quickly I got to this stage!

1 hour ago, big_al_granvia said:

reckon you do need a mount of some description to stop the silencer or pipe banging on the axle beam, wee bit of steel strip in a loop with a bolt to stop it moving sideways

I've got a standard Clio rear silencer mount lined up. It'll go in the bolt hole that you can see a ziptie holding the silencer on with just now

Got a wee bit done today-removed the non matching flanges from the cat and the centre section. These have been chopped off and will be linked together with another double clamp. I also welded* the join to the section I added.

I went on a scrappy mission yesterday, more for interior fittings as the load bay was totally bare.

It went from this 

IMG_20200216_154059529.thumb.jpg.837b2116e9bb90d8c69ca140b71259a8.jpg

To this

IMG_20200216_170741155.thumb.jpg.8a358e0044f8a650ed8275df86ad8e14.jpg

Cage behind the driver's seat which I'll use to make the bulkhead

Floor liner

Side trims

Racking with adjustable tie downs along the sides above the new trim

I've also got an overhead cubby to fit too for above the windscreen. 

I picked up some spares from a Clio 182 too, injectors (I learned with my last one...), throttle body and upper inlet manifold to give a lick of paint. 

I wasn't lying under it in this wind to fit the exhaust so that can wait...

Not a lot of progress on this due to life getting in the way and horrendous weather up here. 

I bit the bullet and booked it in for an MOT tomorrow. I've prepped it as well as I can for now so we'll see where it is. 

I struggled to get the over axle bend on the silencer lined up so it's back on a side exit just now. It does have a cat on it though

The brake fluid warning light and stop light are on, although the level is ok and bridging the sensor connections made no difference.

I took it a quick run before dropping it off. 

Noisy

Bouncy(it's too low and front shocks are suspect)

Front end needs aligned.

Goes like fuck!

There were no knocks or bangs so I'm pretty happy to stick it in and see where it is. Stay tuned!