Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

Was going to ask - how they jump teeth...... lack of maintenance I can grasp - but is it tensioner goes/or chain just stretches beyond the point of return?

Do like these...... it's not a bad looking old heap really.

Watching with interest. Best of luck fella

I think it stretches and then jumps teeth due to lack of maintenance/oil useage. The tensioner can also fail. 

It seems common but it's hit or miss whether valves hit pistons or not. 

I pick up a timing kit tomorrow, will start stripping it down tonight.

I'll check the valve gaps when the rockers off anyway, that should give me an idea if any are bent. But basically, until it fires up with a new chain I won't know if there's any other issues or not. It certainly looks pretty clean under the cam cover

Looks wise they're OK from some angles, not as nice as a Clio 182 though IMO. 

Noted! It'd be a lot easier to buy a civic or corolla T-Sport and use that engine, that's the plan anyway.

Not a lot to report, I got as far as trying to undo the crank pulley bolt but it's stuck. There's a special tool which will help but even with that they are famous for breaking breaker bars. I'm off to price up a 3/4 inch one...

Took me a while to get onto this, I was supposed to be getting a loan of a crank locking tool but it didn't happen so I had to order one and wait for it to arrive, which it did today.

I drove about 500 miles today(but not 500 more) so am pretty knackered, I was keen to try out my new tool though so cracked on after work.

post-7629-0-54345900-1526065973_thumb.jpg

Tool gets a 1/2 drive breaker fitted and jammed into the wishbone

post-7629-0-95255000-1526065928_thumb.jpg

Just a wee extension...

post-7629-0-51615200-1526065964_thumb.jpg

Bam!

post-7629-0-15182700-1526065952_thumb.jpg

Victory!

post-7629-0-25152800-1526065943_thumb.jpg

The VTEC solenoid bolt looked pretty nasty so I applied some heat, possibly enough to fuck the solenoid, I'll need to test it. I did get the bolt out though, I'd rather replace the solenoid that than extract a sheared bolt from the head!

And here we are. 

post-7629-0-83221300-1526065934_thumb.jpg

I got as far as taking the timing cover off and stopped for food and beer, will crack on tomorrow. 

Will drop the oil tomorrow too and change it. I wasn't going to spend anything til it was running but the filter has been there for while, which goes some way to explaining why the chain is fucked.

Have fun doing the timing chain . Having done a couple in situ I’d be dropping the engine and box out together on the subframe . Can be a right twat getting the chain case unstuck

Fuck dude, never do a Clio 1*2, this thing is cavernous compared to one of them! I dropped a 1/4" drive socket and it hit the ground, that doesn't happen on a Clio!

Time hasn't been on my side with this-I was busy all weekend with other stuff so was grabbing an hour here and there after work to get stuff done.

Once I got it stripped down I started removing the old chain and guides and cleaning and assessing things

I've never changed a timing chain before, it was a relatively straightforward thing-there are 3 different coloured links on the chain, it's just a case of lining these up with the crank and the 2 cams. Getting the guides and tensioner on were a bit trickier though, 3 hands are really required but zipties and improvisation all help

post-7629-0-04860200-1526589036_thumb.jpg

post-7629-0-06610500-1526589022_thumb.jpg

It all went wrong though with the final guide, the one the tensioner presses against. I though all was well after a bit of faffing but was slightly* troubled* to find part of it lying on the floor...

post-7629-0-84819600-1526589004_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure whether shonky part or my cack handedness, I'll say a combination of both.

I fucked it off at this point and left it for the night. Note the clinical environment I leave it in with the cam cover off...

post-7629-0-71131300-1526588938_thumb.jpg

Suitably refreshed and in a better frame of mind I got back into it the next evening. Chain back off and I changed the exhaust pulley, I noticed some slight marks on it and a new one came with the kit so I stuck it on and reused the old guide in place of the broken one-the old one was in good condition so I was happy to do this.

Fairly soon I got to this stage-timed up, guides on, tensioner on and the pin pulled. I stuck my Tesco bag back on feeling a bit happier that night

post-7629-0-87751400-1526588966_thumb.jpg

Last night I cracked on. My first job was to set the valve clearances for almost certainly the first time in the cars life. Safe to say they were all over the shop but I soon got them adjusted up. I say soon, valve clearances is something else I'd never done so it was a learning curve. Clearances were all set to the minimum spec to allow for more opening and more GLF. Because racecar.

Then came the worst bit of the job, getting the timing case back on. It's fucking tight and needs silicon sealant applied first which gets everywhere when you squeeze it in. Only time will tell if I got it right, we'll see if it's oil tight.

Tonight was final assembly. I've managed to melt the VTEC solenoid plug when heating the bolt up so will need to rewire that. Accessory belt and pulleys back on(after a lunchtime mission to the scrappy to get a replacement for one that was fucked.

A final check and clean was carried out of the valve gear before I fitted the cam cover and torqued it down.

I plugged everything in except the coil packs and cranked it over til the oil pressure light went out. Then plugged them in and...

Sorry/not sorry for the lack of drama there  :-D

It ran up to temp OK and sounds fine, I then dropped the oil and changed it and the filter

I think I've earned a beer...

Brilliant work! I honestly thought it was going to sound like a bag of bones if it even ran at all. Candidate for potentially the cheapest Type R ever (assuming you bought it for a favourable price, and won't need to spend masses to get it road legal)?

It's sorned and not insured at the minute, I'll get it on the road next week and see how it is. It's got MOT til the end of the month so will see what it needs. First thing before I drive it is new front discs, they're drilled and grooved but they're worn down to the grooves  :shock:

It was cheap but runs the risk of ending up like my Clio 182-getting more money spent on it than I should. Will see how things go.

It also sadly needs 200 miles of running in on the new chain before I can let the VTEC kick in YO.  :-(

Good work!

How's your handbrake? Mine's shite and always has been. It's a very common problem with them.

It doesn't feel too bad. I did rear discs and pads when we got it and everything seemed free. Might lubricate it when we first new springs and shocks shortly

Well done that man, way braver than I! I always find it seriously impressive when people manage shit like this, I end up watching YouTube videos 10x over to change the bastard oil.

I had one same as this in 2008. 53 plate in black. I never quite managed to gel with mine, didn’t keep it long. Definitely would at that money though.