Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

Yeah, I'm really struggling now... continuing to lean on the Volvo angle given the 340 guess got a "close" I'd be tempted to say 480... though struggling to come up with a connection there with the original guesses which there are apparently some things shared with.

Really curious to find out what this is and see how big the exasperated "How did I not guess that?!?" Reaction from me is...

51 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Yeah, I'm really struggling now... continuing to lean on the Volvo angle given the 340 guess got a "close" I'd be tempted to say 480... though struggling to come up with a connection there with the original guesses which there are apparently some things shared with.

Really curious to find out what this is and see how big the exasperated "How did I not guess that?!?" Reaction from me is...

Not a 480 but does share a feature with one, but not the same one it shares with a 340...

Hating me yet?

1 hour ago, dome said:

Not a 480 but does share a feature with one, but not the same one it shares with a 340...

Hating me yet?

Absolutely...but in a good way.

Early Honda Accord Aerodeck?  Basically a Japanese Volvo 480.  Though I'm struggling to tie that into any of my earlier guesses.

Was pondering Lada because of Fiat DNA, but equally struggled to find any way to tie that into the later guesses that were in some way apparently close beyond being rear wheel drive.

Getting warmer or colder here?

Hmmm I'm going the link between the 340 and Alfa 75 being a transaxle/ de dion tube or something? 

Then I'm going with the pop up lights (exciting feature) of the 480. 

I'm gonna say Porsche 924. 

But wait, shares something with a MK1 MR2.. Targa top maybe? God knows. 

46 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Absolutely...but in a good way.

Early Honda Accord Aerodeck?  Basically a Japanese Volvo 480.  Though I'm struggling to tie that into any of my earlier guesses.

Was pondering Lada because of Fiat DNA, but equally struggled to find any way to tie that into the later guesses that were in some way apparently close beyond being rear wheel drive.

Getting warmer or colder here?

You were doing so well but...

well-looks-like-we-winner-meme.jpg.106ee077a54125cfcba8d905bd77ac3d.jpg

28 minutes ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Hmmm I'm going the link between the 340 and Alfa 75 being a transaxle/ de dion tube or something? 

Then I'm going with the pop up lights (exciting feature) of the 480. 

I'm gonna say Porsche 924. 

But wait, shares something with a MK1 MR2.. Targa top maybe? God knows. 

Yes!

Transaxle the same as the Alfa 75 and Volvo 340

The feature it shares with the Mk1 MR2 and Volvo 480 is, of course, POP UP HEADLIGHTS!

Have a pic of it, sitting where it has for the last 8 years...

924.thumb.jpg.62c2c83b893dfe9b73569cb90bd7d33a.jpg

23 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I'd totally forgotten they had a transaxle so would never have got there...have to admit Porsche is just a marque I've never really paid much attention to as they're always so far out of my price range.

Clearly Sir has not experienced the exciting* end of the Porsche market where they live in barns and have seized engines. I had my money on you getting it!

21 minutes ago, dome said:

Clearly Sir has not experienced the exciting* end of the Porsche market where they live in barns and have seized engines. I had my money on you getting it!

Sounds like a challenging project, especially with the potential for exciting parts prices!  Hopefully it will come around without too much hassle.  There any background on why it was originally parked up?

Think I'd mentally discounted Porsche anyway as I saw mention of it earlier in the thread so thought it had already been discounted.  Might eventually have got there given long enough, but I doubt it!

• dome changed the title to Domes shonky autos-Collection day!

And it's back home and safely up my drive, thanks to @Tickman and his Discovery for pushing it up with a tyre between the two cars in true Autoshite style. Thanks also to @juular  and@Supernautfor their assistance. The brakes are partly seized in so its a bit of a bugger to move 😥

Have some pics, full report to follow tomorrow.

IMG_20220326_130139.jpg

IMG_20220326_130148.jpg

IMG_20220326_130153.jpg

IMG_20220326_130200.jpg

IMG_20220326_130210.jpg

IMG_20220326_181032.jpg

• dome changed the title to Domes shonky autos-Collection achieved. My other car is a Porsche!
8 hours ago, cort16 said:

looking forward to hearing on the status of the popup headlamps.

They don't work. It's off to become bean tins tomorrow😉

8 hours ago, Matty said:

What's the plan dome? Standard or engine transplant?

I'll be keeping this one standard, ideally it'll go on the road when I sell the Jag.

It likely won't be around for that long, it'll likely get sold when the Manta is back but hopefully I'll get to enjoy it this summer. Or, one summer in the future, depending on how much it takes to get it back on the road. I wanted a project and I've always wanted one of these so when it came up locally I couldn't resist!

I fully approve of this!

You might already know from 944 times  but parts are cheaper than most people expect. These places are all v good:

https://frazerpart.com

https://wooliesworkshop.com

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/porsche/924.html

or try your local Porsche dealer (‘opc’)  parts dept, they’re often cheapest and will post stuff out. 

924 owners club is a great source of knowledge & advice, also some NLA parts squirrelled away by members. Worth joining if you have any probs. 

Good luck with the recommission!