Domes shonky autos - Manta progress!

dome

My thoughts were something more barge like/ruinous. I have no need for a third car so it may as well be something faintly ridiculous. Good logic eh?

Achievement unlocked.

After a brief text conversation a meeting was arranged for this morning with a view to a swappage.

This was a rarity-a seemingly normal human being on Gumtree.

We exchanged keys and drove each others vehicles. Upon return we kept the keys we had been handed and completed the paperwork. I then proceeded home in somewhat more comfort than I had arrived in.

post-7629-0-79739900-1471171267_thumb.jpg

Rule 1 of Autoshite collection acheived.

post-7629-0-21021100-1471171746_thumb.jpg

It is a 3.0l manual with NO LEATHER! And slightly disappointingly, no cruise control. Initial impressions from the drive home-very quiet, engine pulls well but needs some revs on it before it really moves. Feels more like an American Ford (I imagine) than a Jag but I've only had XJ6s so the bar was set high.

Apparently genuine 64k and giffer owned. No obvious rattles.

Isuues I was told of

Heater controls don't blow hot-apparently a valve somewhere "easy to get at". Hmm

Other issues:

Drivers check strap broken

Both fobs dead-will try new batteries obv.

Scratch on front bumper

There appears to be giffer leds fitted.

Bit wiffy inside

And no doubt more to follow...

Dccv valve is the culprit.

It's located down below the o/s headlight.

Costs around £100 and isn't hard to change, just fiddly.

Grille looks ok.

Cheers for that. Mine should be the old 5 way valve. Was thinking about trying to ressurect mine to save forking out for a new one, not sure if that's possible or not. I shall consult google...

In other news, wafting has continued.

The CD changer seemed not to work, however functionality was restored by putting the CDs in the right way up...

Coolant was a bit low but not enough to set off the warning, have topped it up and will monitor things-expansion caps go on these apparently. Will also try giving it a bleed in case that is the cause of non functioning heater. 

I've ordered a drivers door check strap and a set of wiper blades.

The enzyme cleaner I bought for the Freelande has made the interior a bit more pelasant, I'll shampoo the seats at some point too.

I'm also getting the aircon regassed for cheaps at my tame garage-watch as winter sets in early... 

You should be able to pick up the heater valve for that for around 125, they really are a consumable part on them.  I'd forget about everything else though until you've fixed the leak.  Probably is the expansion tank, which instead of improving the quality, they changed its position to the front of the car in the model run to make it easier to change, same shit quality though.

I'm astonished that a manual, cloth, 3.0 ever existed though.  At least the company car guy who stretched his band could have ordered in death blue, not an impressive metallic.

I seriously wonder that with its upgraded grill, leaper and decent wheels it isn't currently (and ever more) at its peak value as a breaker?

You should be able to pick up the heater valve for that for around 125, they really are a consumable part on them. I'd forget about everything else though until you've fixed the leak. Probably is the expansion tank, which instead of improving the quality, they changed its position to the front of the car in the model run to make it easier to change, same shit quality though.

I'm astonished that a manual, cloth, 3.0 ever existed though. At least the company car guy who stretched his band could have ordered in death blue, not an impressive metallic.

I seriously wonder that with its upgraded grill, leaper and decent wheels it isn't currently (and ever more) at its peak value as a breaker?

I hear what you're saying about a breaker but this you are talking to the man who rescued a 2wd k series Freelander from the scrap yard.

The thought of breaking a 64k mile car in this condition with what seems to be no major rust underneath( I will check though) is heresy.

Took this thing mountain biking tonight. It felt wrong doing this.

post-7629-0-74507200-1471382350_thumb.jpg

Drove some back roads on the way home. Damn I actually like this car. More power and less grip than my BMW makes for fun on the twisty stuff and the softish suspension hangs on really well when pushed. Must. Not. Get. Attached

Anyone want to buy an e46 330d?